Issue during runup and mag check

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Hobart Escin

Issue during runup and mag check

Post by Hobart Escin »

This is weird. An engine in excellent shape (via the evaluation of the maintenance hanger popup) fails a mag check @2000 rpm. Switching to right mag shows zero drop in RPM (grounding issue?), while switching to left mag almost causes the engine to quit. Ran up the engine for a couple of minutes to clear the plugs, but same result afterwards. Shut down and revisited maintenance hanger but no issues reported and engine still in excellent shape.

I'm scratching my head over this while having a beer (takes incredible coordination). :roll:

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Issue during runup and mag check

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Sounds like fouled plugs to me. Did you try to lean out while running the engine up? I've found that it takes a while to clear the spark plugs. Also I've come to the habit to always lean the engine during warmup and taxiing.

When visiting the maintenance hangar did you go to "check engine"? Then the mechanic should clean the plugs for you I think.

But thinking about all this while enjoying a beer is an excellent choice :wink: :lol:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Curt
Airman

Post by Curt »

This happened to me too. The problem for me was battery switch not turned on, after disconnecting GPU.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

I have had it where a mag keeps getting an excessive drop, and have to run 1 minute leaned and then recheck mag, and next flight same issue with the same magmag. Got worse and worse, and I finally changed the plugs even though maintenace said everything was OK. That solved the issue.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

In my opinion the spark plugs on the T-6 foul fairly quickly on the ground. If the real thing does or not I don't know (unfortunately :wink: ). I just lean the mixture fairly aggressive on the ground during warmup and taxi. That helps a lot in keeping the plugs clean.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Piper_EEWL wrote:In my opinion the spark plugs on the T-6 foul fairly quickly on the ground. If the real thing does or not I don't know (unfortunately :wink: ). I just lean the mixture fairly aggressive on the ground during warmup and taxi. That helps a lot in keeping the plugs clean.
I flew the T6 for years without leaning on the ground with no mag issues. We used 100LL. Keep in mind our field elevation was 88 feet.
Dudley Henriques

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: I flew the T6 for years without leaning on the ground with no mag issues. We used 100LL. Keep in mind our field elevation was 88 feet.
Dudley Henriques
Thanks for the insight. The elevation might actually be the culprit here then. In the sim I fly the T-6 mostly out of airports around 1500-2000ft of elevation. I'll have to try at some lower airports I guess :wink:

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”