Elevator and rudder trim

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
THibben
Staff Sergeant

Elevator and rudder trim

Post by THibben »

Both trim wheels indicate in +/- %. The check list has 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock. What is the relationship between time and %?

This sounds like a dumb question but is it based on +/- 180 degrees vs +/- 12 hours?

Thanks,

Tom

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Elevator and rudder trim

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Tom,

Yes it's based on 360 degrees being 12h. Imagine the face of a clock on the trim wheel. So 12 o'clock is straight up, 6 o'clock Is straight down. 1 o'clock would be nose down to where about the hand of the clock would be at well 1 o'clock (30 degrees clockwise from straight up). Two o'clock is even more nose down (60 degrees from close clockwise from straight up). 3 o'clock would be 90 degrees clockwise from straight up and so on.

So 11 o'clock means nose up trim with the pointer at about "11 o'clock" position or at an angle 30 degrees counter clockwise from the straight up position.

I'm sorry but I can't think of a better way to explain it :?

Hope this helps though
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

Hi Piper,

Thanks for the info. I assumed that is what it is. It would have been a lot easier if they just said +/- so many degrees up or down....grin

Thanks again,

Tom

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Well I guess they didn't say that because there is no scale on the trim wheels and the real aircraft doesn't have the tool tips :wink: 11 o'clock is probably what the real manual says.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, I find "11 o'clock" easier to visualise than 330 degrees or some percent figure. However, I seem to recall I had something like this...

...when I was a kid, so I clearly wasn't the sharpest tool in the box! :mrgreen:

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yup same here nick, grew with my aviation love being military based, in particular ww2 so the clock and up or down is what Ive always known, bandits 2'oclock low, tally ho!
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hehe nice watch. I still wear analog watches. I can just read then quicker I feel like.
Lewis wrote:Yup same here nick, grew with my aviation love being military based, in particular ww2 so the clock and up or down is what Ive always known, bandits 2'oclock low, tally ho!
Yes true. My first game was "Luftwaffe Commander" and then of course I spend countless hours with "IL-2".

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Yup same here nick, grew with my aviation love being military based, in particular ww2 so the clock and up or down is what Ive always known, bandits 2'oclock low, tally ho!
Did you ever read the Matt Braddock stories Lewis? A bit before your time (and mine too) but classic comic strip stuff from The Rover, which I got hold of as a small lad in the form of a book called I Flew With Braddock which had belonged to my Dad. I loved that book, and it was responsible in part for an early fascination with the Lanc and Bomber Command. :D

Piper_EEWL wrote:Hehe nice watch. I still wear analog watches. I can just read then quicker I feel like.
Actually, I'm afraid I got a 'proper' watch when I got a bit older Sebastian: Casio digital was all the rage! :mrgreen: It's been a while since I've bothered wearing a wristwatch at all though. Nowadays I just draw my mobile phone out of my waistcoat pocket when I need to tell the time. I'm seriously thinking of keeping it on a length of gold chain, like a proper Victorian gent! :)

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Nick M wrote:Actually, I'm afraid I got a 'proper' watch when I got a bit older Sebastian: Casio digital was all the rage! :mrgreen: It's been a while since I've bothered wearing a wristwatch at all though. Nowadays I just draw my mobile phone out of my waistcoat pocket when I need to tell the time. I'm seriously thinking of keeping it on a length of gold chain, like a proper Victorian gent! :)
That's funny. The digital wristwatch thing never caught on with me. I just like them analog. Made me not the coolest kid in school but who cares :wink: I really like the analog watches when flying in RL because a short glimpse tells me everything and I can set the ring around the face to the takeoff time and stuff. It all comes down to personal preference I guess.

Good idea with the gold chain for the mobile phone just make sure you don't damage any important parts when drilling the hole the attach the chain :wink: :mrgreen:

pmesmer
Senior Airman

Post by pmesmer »

If I drilled any holes in my phone it would no longer be waterproof. Oh well____ such is life. :D

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Never read those Nick, but my nan gave me my uncles old books to read when I was a nipper and I remember two where from some series, one story was about a matilda II tank in France 1940 and its quest to get to Dunkirk the other was the story of the LRDG in North Africa, I loved them! Cant remember the damn series name though, I think the main character may have been the same person in both.

cheers,
Lewis

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

The Matilda book you're thinking of Lewis may have been "Tramp in Armour". I read that one a million years ago. By Colin Forbes (Ray Sawkins) Sawkins served in North Africa. I don't remember an LRDG book but that doesn't mean much, given my memory these days!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

OMFG yes! Thankyou so so so so so much that was it, Colin Forbes books. So amazing to read, like a next level biggles for a teenager, loved them so much! :D

cheers,
Lewis

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

;)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”