Aileron Trim Tab

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Martin Brannigan
Airman Basic

Aileron Trim Tab

Post by Martin Brannigan »

This is my first post here on the Forums and, I feel like an uneducated schoolkid of 55 years of age, but ..

My apologies if this has been asked before but, the Manual says that the Aileron trim tabs are only adjustable
on the ground ... may I ask, in Prepar3Dv3.3 how do you actually do this ?

btw this is such fun to fly ...

Many thanks

Martin
C172, C182, T-6 Texan

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Aileron Trim Tab

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Martin and welcome. :)

The T-6 aileron trim tabs aren't actually adjustable in FSX/P3D and I guess the aircraft could be considered as 'perfectly rigged'. Though A2A have experimented with simulating mis-rigged aircraft in the past (i.e an aircraft with a 'heavy wing' which needs to be carefully trimmed-out) this hasn't been implemented yet. The manual extract in question presumably comes from a real T-6 manual.

If mis-rigging and ground adjustable trim tabs were simulated, I suspect a lot more customers would ask "why isn't my plane flying straight?" :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

It also appears to me the T-6 has no simple ways for rigging the airplane (the control surface linkages are of course adjustable for proper travel). Cessnas and such have various ways to alter the rigging of the airplane relatively easily. In Pipers, if I recall, the flap up stops are altered to correct for any wing-heaviness, and in Cessnas the wing's incidence can be altered by rotating their eccentric attach points.

-Esa

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

Martin Brannigan wrote:This is my first post here on the Forums and, I feel like an uneducated schoolkid of 55 years of age, but ..

My apologies if this has been asked before but, the Manual says that the Aileron trim tabs are only adjustable
on the ground ... may I ask, in Prepar3Dv3.3 how do you actually do this ?

btw this is such fun to fly ...

Many thanks

Martin
Hi Martin,

As you have read above, it should not be necessary to adjust the aileron trim on the T-6. However, if you want to, there is a simple edit to the aircraft.cfg that would allow you to use the FSX default keys (or whatever keys you want to assign) to adjust trim. The line to look for is:

aileron_trim_effectiveness=0 //no aileron trim

and change to:

aileron_trim_effectiveness=1 //=0 no aileron trim

As always, it is a good idea to back up any config file before editing.

1 is the FSX default value for this parameter. You can read about it in this MSDN document under [flight_tuning]:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... ocId717787

Bear in mind that some of the parameters discussed in this document are set for use by Accu-Sim and changing them can affect the A2A programming. I have experimented with aileron_trim_effectiveness on the T-6 and it does not appear to produce any negative effect.

Hope this helps.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I wouldn't mind having the ground adjustable tabs adjustable via maintenance hangar, as an Accusim feature. :) Perhaps if we get the "rigging imperfections" back one day, the tabs can also be altered (on ground only!) to tune the plane to taste. :)

-Esa

Martin Brannigan
Airman Basic

Post by Martin Brannigan »

Thank you all for the great replies and answers, and thank you for the notice about the aircraft.cfg file as well.
The reason for my question is that, when I get up to flying "straight and level" there is a noticeable roll to
starboard and I have to correct this every 10-20 seconds or so. It might be that my X-55 joystick is not quite
returning to its "centre" point and I guess I need to re-calibrate it again.

Thanks again for all the wonderful information and for taking the time to answer.

Martin
C172, C182, T-6 Texan

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

To me, the analogy would be this: even on a straight road, would you leave a car alone for 10...20 seconds, without even holding the wheel (equivalent of just centering our PC controls)? :)

When I was doing my first flights in glider, the instructor gave me some comfort by asking if I knew what was the hardest aspect in flying. When I said I didn't, he told me it was flying straight. :) It took only a while for me to realize what he was after!

-Esa

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”