Gear down lock mirror image?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Gear down lock mirror image?

Post by Roadburner426 »

Don't really have a problem with the plane as it performs fantastic. I was perusing the manual while flying some time ago after release, and on subsequent flights have been looking for these gear down lock mirror images it mentions on page 122. Says they are supposed to momentarily appear when the gear is being lowered. Looking in the Shift+3 panel I just see where I can select the style of locks on the wings, fuel gauge height, and GPS unit. Think I am beginning to get denser as I get older. :lol:
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Gear down lock mirror image?

Post by Alan_A »

Am not sure from your post if you've already got this worked out or not... but just to be safe, and for others who may be trying to figure it out, the Shift+3 options are "no gear lock aid," which is fully realistic (you have to look at the little windows on the wings), "gear lock aid 1," which gives you the larger mirror images forward of the wing and keeps them in view for an extended period of time, and "gear lock aid 2," which gives you the enlarged mirror images, but only for a moment. The style of the locks on the wings doesn't change - the options are all about choosing the mirror image or not, and deciding how long it will stick around. I generally fly with #2 set, since the big mirror images are helpful, even for a TrackIR user (otherwise you have to do a lot of bucking and weaving to get a good view of the wings), and and on the other hand, the persistent ones are too weird-looking to deal with - like there are suddenly bricks attached to the leading edge. Hope this helps.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Thank you Alan. It appears I was in fact dense and reading to far in to things. Like you mentioned I thought these lock indications were of different types that were being selected for display in the wing windows. Just tested out what you said and you are correct. I have to admit too that I was expecting pictures to show up in my field of view similar to the preflight stuff on the GA planes since it said "image." I was not expecting a 3D projection to the left or right of the canopy on the outside. All is gravy now though that I can finally verify the physical locks at least. :mrgreen: Is funny have no problems flying or operating the plane (or other A2A planes for that matter) and after reading the manual numerous times the simplest thing got away from me. :oops:
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Glad you got where you needed to go. I was a bit surprised by the gear lock aids myself - I'd been expecting something higher up but at mid-wing, just sort of a magnified version of the actual locking pin window. Wasn't ready for those leading-edge bricks to show up. So yes, there's always an unexpected item or two, even after lots of manual study. You never see the one that gets you, or something along those lines. 8)
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”