VOR not working

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
offroadn_redneck
Airman

VOR not working

Post by offroadn_redneck »

Everything else works just fine, but I cant pick up VORs. The gauge works fine when I have it in GPS mode, but it never swings when trying to tune in a NAV frequency. I have the 5-9 update as well.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: VOR not working

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi and welcome to the community,

This might be a silly question but you do switch the VOR gauge from GPS to NAV when you want to fly by VOR's don't you? There's a little switch on the instrument panel to select the source so to say.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Also, a VOR works on a line of sight. You need to gain a little altitude and not have a mountain or hill between you and the beacon to receive the signal.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

homer339
Airman

Post by homer339 »

Make sure that the VOR frequency is active in NAV1, just a idea :lol:

Regards,

Ferry

offroadn_redneck
Airman

Post by offroadn_redneck »

ok, just to silence a few obvious questions, yes I know about the nav/gps switch and how to use it. I understand VOR works line of sight and down here in south texas I can pick up VORs starting roughly at 2,000ft sometimes 3,000ft. In GPS mode the VOR indicator works fine in the sence that it moves and follows a GPS route. But when I flip the switch to NAV and try 116.8 (SAT) I get nothing. Both the NAV and GS windows remain red/white stripe no matter what NAV1 frequency I use.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Is this with the default GPS?
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I've noticed an issue which may be related to this behaviour on my FSX-SE setup with the default GNS400. Maybe worth looking into by the A2A devs/testers to see if they can reproduce it.

If the flight which I use to load the A2A T-6 has the GPS/NAV selector saved in the GPS position (i.e. the line "GPSdrivesNAV1=True" in the *.FLT file), the GPS/NAV switch in the T-6 works exactly as it should.

However, if the flight has the GPS/NAV switch saved in the NAV position (i.e. the line reads "GPSdrivesNAV1=False"), once the T-6 is loaded, the GPS/NAV switch does nothing. The VOR drives the CDI regardless of which position I place the switch in. (This of course is the 'opposite' to the OP's problem.)

In each case, the same applies if the default C712SP is loaded at the departure airport first, and if the T-6 is loaded straight from the 'Free Flight' screen.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. For the OP, may be worth checking this setting with the flight you use to load the T-6.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Just curious if anyone has been able to reproduce this behaviour yet? (see prior post). I noticed that the GPS/NAV switch doesn't have an associated sound effect on my system either, in case this is a further 'clue' as to why it doesn't always work.

It also seems it's not necessary for the *.FLT file to have the selector in NAV mode. Just loading the default C172SP, switching to NAV mode and then loading the T-6 will result in its GPS/NAV switch being inoperative on my installation.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I'm looking into it Nick.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Lewis. :) One other thing I noticed: the FSUIPC command "TOGGLE_GPS_DRIVES_NAV1" is still functional, even when the switch in the VC isn't. I think the default FSX shortcut for this action may be buggy/incomplete even in default aircraft.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

The NAV/GPS initialization with default GPS will be fixed in the next update. Sound is restored too.
With 3rd party GPS you may still need to switch CDI mode to GPS manually for the VOR gauge to show GPS deviation.

Keep in mind that this switch works different than in other airplanes in that it does not control the autopilot, ony VOR gauge. The autopilot is always linked to GPS, regardless of switch position.
Michael Krawczyk

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update Michael. :)

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”