3-30-16 UPDATE FREEZES AND WON'T INSTALL

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
HHHCAH
Airman

3-30-16 UPDATE FREEZES AND WON'T INSTALL

Post by HHHCAH »

After installing the new T-6 I downloaded the 3-30-16 update and ran it multiple times. It freezes as soon as it comes to my first installed aircraft (C-172 "Trainer") and shows 36% installed. It won't allow an exit and the only way I can close it is by using the Windows Task Manager to End Task. I've never had a problem with updates before, and I haven't got a clue what the problem might be. Frustrated and would really appreciate some suggestions on how to make it work. Thanks.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: 3-30-16 UPDATE FREEZES AND WON'T INSTALL

Post by Scott - A2A »

Try looking in the A2A / Cessna172 folder and remove the UPDATES folder (can't recall the exact name, not in front of my work PC atm). Then run the updater again.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Hi - thank you for the suggestion, I'm really struggling even trying to use the Forum (don't laugh, I'm an old Sr. citizen...). Anyway, I found and deleted the Update file in the C-172 folder (Update_fsx folder with the client.wyc file dated 6-13-14). Then I ran the 3-30-16 Update and it still froze at: D:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX\client.wyc. Then I went back to the A2A folders again and was surprised to see the Update folder with the 6-13-14 client.wyc file was back in place. I deleted it again and ran the Update again - same result. It appears that the current Update installation is trying to just rebuild that file and it freezes. The installation status bar always stops at 36% almost instantly when the aircraft search hits the C-172 "Trainer"

Again, thank you for taking the time to try to assist me - I really appreciate it!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Can you please run the updater and then when it pauses press alt-tab to switch between different running programs. I believe whats happening is the next dialogue box asking you to click continue etc is actually just appearing behind the main installation screen instead of in front of it on your system.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Thank you, Lewis, for the suggestion - it, too, sounded logical. Unfortunately, I've now tried it multiple times and there are no other update boxes behind it (just other stuff - Internet, e-mail, etc.). This is a really odd problem - something I've never experienced before; everything else is running just fine, so it's hard to come up with a solution (especially for non-tech types like me...). Odd, too, that, even after deleting it, it keeps replacing the C172 client.wyc file from 6-13-14 (I have a C182 wyc file dated 10-3-15, and a Comanche wyc file dated 11-10-15) Anyway, thank you, again, I appreciate it.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

It's possible there is something with the computer that is causing a conflict. If you have access to another computer, you could put a folder called FSX with an FSX.EXE on a USB drive, then install the Cessna 172 on that. Then on another computer, run the Accu-Sim update and update the folder on the USB. Once done, you can take that USB drive back to your original computer and copy the files.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Well, thanks again for following up, but, no, I have no way of trying this suggestion. I did have a follow up thought about the whole thing. First, I don't know how the Updates work, but is it possible that there's nothing new in the 3-30-16 Update (no changes) for the C-172, C-182, or the Comanche since the dates I've indicated for their Update wyc files? Also, very oddly, I tried running the Update again and just left it at the freeze point. Then, when I came back about 4.5 hrs later, it was gone, nothing showing on the screen, and no apparent changes in any of the A2A files. I've no idea what that may mean, but it's also something I've never seen before (especially, with no error messages...).

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

I took the step to completely uninstall/reinstall FSX:SE and the A2A aircraft. Then I downloaded and ran the latest Update and it still freezes at exactly the same point (@ 36% on the status bar for the C-172 "Trainer"). It will not let me exit or resume; the only way to get out of it is to use the Windows Task Manager to End Task. And, even after the FSX:SE uninstall/reinstall, using Free Flight is still corrupted in that trying to activate the menu bar (Alt) only brings up a gray bar (no menu text at all - nothing...). I am at an utter and complete loss on what's happened - it's really hard to believe that the T-6 installation caused all of these problems, but without some direct communication with A2A it appears my FSX:SE days (and A2A days for that matter) have come to an end! I'd really appreciate some direct help, but it doesn't look like it's available - even if I pay for it (not being able to communicate directly with a developer on a technical problem is NOT the way things should be done)!

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Hi.
As far as not being able to directly talk to a developer,well Scott A2A owns the company,how direct do you want to be!!
If you calm down it will be a lot easier for A2A and us forum members to help you.As far as senior citizens are concerned I am 78.
Cheers Chris

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Thanks, Chris - I appreciate your insight. I'd love to be calm, but, unfortunately, this has turned into a very expensive (all in) problem, and, as you can see, the Forum route was very short and ended a week ago. It's great that Scott owns the company and I'm glad he communicates with folks from time to time, but I would NEVER expect 1 person to handle an entire world of user problems - that's what most companies have technical support folks doing. Nor, in situations like this would I expect Forum users to have all the answers (everyday issues, yes, odd, weird issues like this, certainly not), again, that's what technical support folks are supposed to do. Maybe I expect too much from a company, but, as an example, if I bought a car, I would expect the company to know their product and be able to service it - NOT tell me to go find a neighborhood mechanic (i.e. a Forum).

Sorry, I don't like my tone, and I apologize for that. I'm just so frustrated I can't believe it and I'm venting in writing, which is rarely a good thing. Maybe I'll just end up getting booted off the Forum, which, if I offend someone, is fine, as it hasn't done much good to be on it anyway.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Hi
I cannot say your name because you have not given it.The forum and members are the most efficient method of troubleshooting.If it was a new car costing thousands of pounds you would go to the dealer you bought it from.Here however you have spent 50 bucks( i am English by the way so it would be pounds) and the helpdesk is the forum which consists of members and A2A staff and is a very friendly place.This forum will help you sort your problems if you share them with us .
Cheers Chris

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Hi again,

Sorry about the name - it's Howard (not trying to hide it, just didn't think about it). Anyway, I agree, if it was just 50 bucks (or pounds), I'd just kiss it goodbye. However, I spent several thousands of bucks/dollars/pounds in having a computer built specifically to run FSX and then decided FSX:SE was a better way for me to go for the future. I've purchased tons of software add-ons for FSX, and a whole cockpit full of Saitek gear, etc., but, right now, the whole thing is worthless (except, of course, I can switch to P3D - it's an option, but not one I wanted to rely on). I've never come across a problem like this where nobody seems to have a clue (yes, I know, with computers that happens, and, I will admit to one big error on my part - my backups are way out of date, so I'm sharing the fix blame on this big time...)

And, I also agree with your comment about the Forum being a friendly place. Everyone's comments (except mine, I guess....) have always been cordial and that's a good thing. By the way, just an FYI, reinstalling aircraft is one thing but reinstalling a boat load of scenery is quite another (a real pain...). However, in case you haven't come across it, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND a product called FSCubed by Sim Design Group (SDG) - use it to backup your scenery (so simple to use it's unbelievable) and then if you have to reinstall your sim, the scenery restore is just as simple as the backup, and, no, I don't work for them (not connected in any way - it's just a great product and I like to acknowledge and share good products and companies when I find them).

Take care.

Howard

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

A quick scan of my comments seems to indicate that I totally forgot to add an important additional bit of information. Not only does the menu bar (Alt) no longer work with any aircraft, but in the A2A aircraft NONE of the 2D (Shift + #) screens will open. Somehow, they appear to be tied together, which was another reason I wanted to try all new installations of FSX:SE and A2A aircraft - didn't change a thing. Lastly, to be totally accurate about using the Exit from Free Flight, only sometimes does it actually Exit back to the Home screen - other times, it either won't exit at all, and I can use the Windows Task Manger to End Task, or it just goes to a black screen and even trying to get to the Windows Task Manager doesn't work, and I'm left with a warm re-boot as the only option (not good). Anyway, just wanted to be as clear as I could.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

sorry about the delay, the post is down in the non tech support area for the old firepower product so it was missed after I forgot to move it last reply to the correct area, ill move it along now.

For the reinstall how are you doing this?

You will ideally be running uninstallers and then manually deleting the folders left over, including the FSX folders and such like. If running FSX disc and Steam edition togather you will want to follow one of the guides online about how to correctly totally wipe your system of FSX disc edition prior to moving to steam edition. Remember to restart your PC also between uninstall and installing.

Heres an example; https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/d ... 114234383/

For the windows not showing up this is normally a simconnect error that can be corrected with a simconnect reinstall and a system restart;
http://a2asimulations.com/public/downlo ... onnect.msi

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Hey Lewis,

Thanks for jumping back in - in case you couldn't tell, I've been (still) in a state of "mild panic." I admit, life is too short to let something like this get to me, but it's a hot button for me that I, unfortunately, yield to very easily...sorry.

Anyway, I originally had the FSX boxed version installed and as I recall I followed the steps indicated in the link you provided to fully uninstall FSX and then install FSX:SE. This time, what I found to reinstall FSX:SE was this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/di ... 935761807/ I followed the steps, but haven't gone much further (only reinstalling the A2A 172, 182 & Comanche - NOT the T-6).

Someone mentioned the possibility of a .cfg file problem (I'm aware of the file but don't know how to check anything about it). Interestingly, after the reinstallation steps, which deleted all of the Orbx files, when FSX:SE is now started I get "SCENERY.CFG file error" dialogue boxes (97 of them) in which I have to click "OK" to continue. I don't know how a .cfg file would affect something like the menu bar in all aircraft or the A2A 2D (Shift + #) screens, but I guess anything is possible.

I did go ahead and run the simconnect link you provided and rebooted the computer. Unfortunately, after restarting FSX:SE - no change, still just a gray bar where the menus should be (Alt). And, still, when clicking ESC and End Flight, it just goes to a black screen and won't close to the Home screen (can't even get to Windows Task Manager to End Task).

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”