Engine cut out on negative G.. and smoke issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Engine cut out on negative G.. and smoke issue

Post by MatzeH84 »

Hey, first of all, congrats to this beautiful bird. I desperately miss an active Heidi (really hoped for it) and the walkaround, but I guess I can live with it ;)

I did a few patterns now, and one time went into the water. I did some tests with the AP (without reading the manual of it yet.. ), which resulted in some good negative G's when disconnecting it- according the the acceleratometer I had around -2 max. Upon this the engine just quit, as if it doesn't get any fuel. Ok, thats normal, as the carburator cannot provide fuel at negative G's. But in both cases it just didn't recover. I got some power out of it using the primer, but it wasn't enough.
The second time I made the runway in one piece, engine off. I tried to restart it- it came to life just fine running on primer, but didn't keep running on mixture. Fuel pressure was fine though. I could it keep running on primer forever, but no reaction to the throttle.
Full tanks, mixture rich, prop tried both full inc or dec.
I tried autostart, the engine ran a few second then starved. No issues reported in the hangar..
Any ideas?

The second thing, the smoke system. I assigned a button via the input configurator. Pressing it once, a small amount of smoke is emitted, around 0.5-1 second, then stops. I press the button again, nothing (which is right, as it should be off now). I press again, same amound of smoke again. So I guess when turning it on, it just doesn't keep delivering the smoke..
Kind regards, Matthias

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: Engine cut out on negative G.. and smoke issue

Post by Caldemeyn »

Hmm, maybe check the realism settings ? Automixture ? Or maybe some control assignments are interfering ? What addons installed ? P3D or FSX? (There might be some problems with the configurators in P3D at the moment) Maybe disable all controllers, check if systems work with a mouse ? Also remember that T-6 is very sensitive on the throttle, its easy to get it to backfire or skip.

For smoke, check your special effects detail, check that you have enough stuff in the smoke tank, also check if you don't accidentaly press the L button.

Also:
1. Fill the Smoke Tank (SHIFT-4 Menu)
2. Arm the Smoke System (right console)
3. Activate the Smoke System (SHIFT-3 Menu)

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

MatzeH84 wrote:Hey, first of all, congrats to this beautiful bird. I desperately miss an active Heidi (really hoped for it) and the walkaround, but I guess I can live with it ;)

I did a few patterns now, and one time went into the water. I did some tests with the AP (without reading the manual of it yet.. ), which resulted in some good negative G's when disconnecting it- according the the acceleratometer I had around -2 max. Upon this the engine just quit, as if it doesn't get any fuel. Ok, thats normal, as the carburator cannot provide fuel at negative G's. But in both cases it just didn't recover. I got some power out of it using the primer, but it wasn't enough.
The second time I made the runway in one piece, engine off. I tried to restart it- it came to life just fine running on primer, but didn't keep running on mixture. Fuel pressure was fine though. I could it keep running on primer forever, but no reaction to the throttle.
Full tanks, mixture rich, prop tried both full inc or dec.
I tried autostart, the engine ran a few second then starved. No issues reported in the hangar..
Any ideas?

The second thing, the smoke system. I assigned a button via the input configurator. Pressing it once, a small amount of smoke is emitted, around 0.5-1 second, then stops. I press the button again, nothing (which is right, as it should be off now). I press again, same amound of smoke again. So I guess when turning it on, it just doesn't keep delivering the smoke..
Hi, Matthias,

This sounds familiar to something that I experienced during beta, however did not find any pattern to duplicate it. You will note that after a Sim restart the engine will work normally. So far we could not find any persistent issue causing this. We will of course do our best to find the cause as soon as we can isolate a definite trigger event.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

MatzeH84 wrote:I tried autostart, the engine ran a few second then starved.
This is interesting and indicates something to do with fuel delivery, as autostart fills the motor with primer. Obviously if this can be reproduced on demand, we could find and fix this fast.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Confirm that only a sim restart fixes it.
I will see if I can reproduce it on purpose and will report back.
Kind regards, Matthias

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I had the same problem. My first landing in the T6 was dead stick off airport......quite interesting....
FSX SP2
After a sim restart all OK.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Is your default situation in the sim changed ? Or maybe did you load any other plane before loading the t-6 ?

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Post by wothan »

I had the engine cutout under negative G too and was not able to restart it.
It simply happened as I was trimming nose down too fast.

This is with P3D V3.2

FinnJ
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

I was doing some aerobatics and all my settings were fine inside the plane and I too am getting engine cutout but only for about 2 to 3 seconds while inverted then it kicks back in as it was running before I entered the roll, loop or anything inverted. I got this everytime I restarted the sim or selected another paint scheme. If I stay inverted then the engine will be at idle the whole time. When I roll back to upright then after about 5 seconds the engine comes back
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

EightyFiftyFive wrote:I was doing some aerobatics and all my settings were fine inside the plane and I too am getting engine cutout but only for about 2 to 3 seconds while inverted then it kicks back in as it was running before I entered the roll, loop or anything inverted. I got this everytime I restarted the sim or selected another paint scheme. If I stay inverted then the engine will be at idle the whole time. When I roll back to upright then after about 5 seconds the engine comes back
That sounds correct, the engine wont work well under neg G at all.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

EightyFiftyFive wrote:I was doing some aerobatics and all my settings were fine inside the plane and I too am getting engine cutout but only for about 2 to 3 seconds while inverted then it kicks back in as it was running before I entered the roll, loop or anything inverted. I got this everytime I restarted the sim or selected another paint scheme. If I stay inverted then the engine will be at idle the whole time. When I roll back to upright then after about 5 seconds the engine comes back
That's normal with the type of carburetor in the T6. The issue some are having is that the engine sometimes can't be restarted after inverted fuel starvation.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

It would be helpful if we could determine if this strange engine dying issue ALWAYS happens after a negative G. If we know this 100%, I can hyper focus on this part of the system.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

gonzman
Airman First Class

Post by gonzman »

Same thing happened to me scot, pulled a few negs during a roll and the engine cut but wouldn't kick back in even though I levelled off very fast.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Scott - A2A wrote:It would be helpful if we could determine if this strange engine dying issue ALWAYS happens after a negative G. If we know this 100%, I can hyper focus on this part of the system.

Scott.
I've had this strange thing happen too, but not after negative G's - my first flight may have had some of those, but after having parked for an hour or so I could start the engine as normal again and fly more. My experience was after a normal, but slow and conservatively powered flight of about an hours time. No aerobatics.

When I started after that flight it fires, but doesn't rise above about 500 rpm (with only occasional bursts into higher rpm), and is seemingly sustained on primer alone. The autostart lets it hang closer to 1000 rpm, but it will always die - and usually according to the amount of priming and the throttle. If I have wide open throttle it will probably use up the priming faster.
I tried everything but a complete overhaul (changing plugs, starters, oil, clicking the various items in the engine inspection-window). I tried with and without GPU.
This actually reminds me of a very similar issue I've had with the Stratocruiser... Connection?

The restart of P3D, however, works. (as it did with the Strat (!)

After 3-4 hours (and a foggy ILS approach into Gatwick coming from Dover) I am however thoroghly in love with this complex personality. Can't wait to learn more.

Hope my input helps, and that this leprechaun in the machine can be smoked out. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Please check fuel pressure when this happens.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”