no more ground loops for me :)

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
Avio
Staff Sergeant

Re: no more ground loops for me :)

Post by Avio »

Thanks for the nice compliment, Rob ! Yes, lots of focused practice indeed !

While the recommended speed on final is 90, when finally on final FINAL, when the runway is assuredly made, I like to slow further closer to 80, flaring into a nice 3-point touchdown, or at least close to a 3-pointer whereby the tail wheel contacts the ground just a little moment after main wheels contact.

One way to get the "sight-picture" correct is to just sit on the ground and memorize how the cockpit looks in relation to the runway ahead, and then try to recreate that sight-picture when about to touch down during the flare. And getting the T6 more properly trimmed helps too, so that not so much back pressure on the stick is needed during the flare, thus allowing for a more graceful round-out flaring.

Finally, DON'T touch the rudder pedals during roll-out unless necessary, until later on after the T6 has slowed down much.

Touching down on main wheels first and letting the tail wheel slowly come down later sure works well, but needs longer runway. When the runway is short, like those bush places like PNG that I like to take the T6 to, a three-pointer becomes a must. (ORBX PNG is one really good one).

Above method seems to work well for me. Hope that helps.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

All this T6 talk reminds me of a sad day in my life. I was at the Flying Legends air show at Duxford a couple of years ago and there was a T6 doing 20 minute rides. I thought about it and figured a 20 minute ride would be worth a punt for, I estimated, £120. So off I set to the T6 shop. As I walked towards it I gradually upped my estimate to £150 then £175 as I got closer. By the time I got to the check in desk I had got to the point where 'Frick it' kicked in. I'll go to £250 for 20 minutes, once-in-a-lifetime deal! :D :D :D

3 minutes later I headed back to my mates with my tail between my legs. £450 flamin' quid!

:( :( :(
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

and if you have enough realistate holding the tail up is a good way to go. Rob mentioned the Mustang. when i first got that i couldn't even get it off the ground let alone fly :lol: i kept getting kicked by the mustang. now i can fly it and land it fairly well. but the T-6 is a good airplane once you get to know it and get some hours in it. i know this is nothing to other simmers on here but my T6 has 14 hours on the hobbs meter. i been doing a lot of flying with other A2A planes that why it ain't got much time. lol

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Ron Attwood wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 20:50 All this T6 talk reminds me of a sad day in my life. I was at the Flying Legends air show at Duxford a couple of years ago and there was a T6 doing 20 minute rides. I thought about it and figured a 20 minute ride would be worth a punt for, I estimated, £120. So off I set to the T6 shop. As I walked towards it I gradually upped my estimate to £150 then £175 as I got closer. By the time I got to the check in desk I had got to the point where 'Frick it' kicked in. I'll go to £250 for 20 minutes, once-in-a-lifetime deal! :D :D :D

3 minutes later I headed back to my mates with my tail between my legs. £450 flamin' quid!

YIKES!!! :shock:

Pricey for sure! The Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association offers :20 rides for $300 (£176.34) + membership of $75 (£44.09) and :20 formation rides for $350 (£205.73) + membership :mrgreen:
https://harvards.com/fly-now/?doing_wp_ ... 4443359375
Of course, getting there would add to the price somewhat for you... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 12:11
Ron Attwood wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 20:50 All this T6 talk reminds me of a sad day in my life. I was at the Flying Legends air show at Duxford a couple of years ago and there was a T6 doing 20 minute rides. I thought about it and figured a 20 minute ride would be worth a punt for, I estimated, £120. So off I set to the T6 shop. As I walked towards it I gradually upped my estimate to £150 then £175 as I got closer. By the time I got to the check in desk I had got to the point where 'Frick it' kicked in. I'll go to £250 for 20 minutes, once-in-a-lifetime deal! :D :D :D

YIKES!!! :shock:

Pricey for sure! The Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association offers :20 rides for $300 (£176.34) + membership of $75 (£44.09) and :20 formation rides for $350 (£205.73) + membership :mrgreen:
https://harvards.com/fly-now/?doing_wp_ ... 4443359375
Of course, getting there would add to the price somewhat for you... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Sounds good, I think I'll go for that.

Er...Airfare? :?

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Ron Attwood wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 16:49
Sounds good, I think I'll go for that.

Er...Airfare? :?
Ummm...ya, I didn't check that for you. I was thinking that a dapper young man such as yourself would surely be able to roust up a deal from somewhere... :wink:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Dapper eh? If you saw me dapper would NOT be a word you'd use. :(

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Can the T-6 get into CA21? How 'bout 79CL? :roll:

Here's the link to "Ground Loop Prevention - A Cautionary Tale" https://www.google.com/search?q=ground+ ... nt=gws-wiz

Seeya
ATB

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Paughco wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 22:33 Can the T-6 get into CA21? How 'bout 79CL? :roll:
Seeya
ATB
I'm glad you asked. I usually just go between Orbx airports and haven't looked at 79CL yet but see below for Limberlost. I'll definitely check out Milhous this evening :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENpceV-64Os

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69245&p=527323&hil ... st#p527323

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Rob: Well done!

Seeya
ATB

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks Paughco, much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

You had me reaching for my canopy switch! Nicely done. 👍

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Nice control
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Ron Attwood wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 20:18 You had me reaching for my canopy switch! Nicely done. 👍
Haha thanks Ron! I was never concerned at all…<:roll:> lol
Scott - A2A wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 07:18 Nice control
Thanks Boss!

Thanks also for the amazing T-6!!! It is a masterpiece…as close to real as it could possibly get! As Ron mentioned in the other thread, the A2A T-6 is NOT in danger of being replaced in anyone’s heart by the MSFS race machines 😉

Flying through a bit of turbulence last evening I was reminded of my first long trip after buying the airplane a couple of years ago. I was flying under an overcast in an Alaskan valley in a bit of turbulence and I was completely gobsmacked at the fact that the airplane was behaving EXACTLY like the real Harvards I’d flown…almost eerily so…😊

So I did go to 79CL last evening...2100' bare strip on the top of a ridge (thanks Littlenavmap)...no problem, I thought. I flew a nice gentle approach and from the instant the mains touched the ground, all hell broke loose! After the first massive rolling bounce I was thinking wth my bad until we got back on the ground and I realized that during three or four low passes to have a look, I missed the fact that the “runway” is more like a moguls run on a ski hill. I did turn around and get the T-6 off the ground as soon as possible for a minimum of excitement, but will not be going back until the Orbx crews have visited and graded the hills off the top of the ridge…

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

FlipS
Senior Airman

Post by FlipS »

How about crosswind landings?
There are two ways to approach: crabbing or slipping down. If you come in crabbing, you have to give rudder to yaw the airplane in the direction of the runway just before touch down. During slipping down you hold the nose alined with the runway with the wing that points to the wind hold down. Just before touch down you have to level the airplane. Both methodes are delicate; a little fault will result in shooting aside the runway. Would you touch down on one gear, you will see the stars.
If I try to make a three point landing, I’m often blown aside the runway before the airplane touches down. In a wheel landing, the tail is pushed aside and I will see the grass at the other side of the runway.
Most of my crosswind landings (with gusty winds) end in a ground loop or at least heavy crunching tires. With less luck the landing ends in a somersault. :shock:
Fair weather landings are no challenge.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”