T6 airshow sequence

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
awash2002
A2A ACE

T6 airshow sequence

Post by awash2002 »

I am wanting to take the T6 Texan to as many airshows across the US and Canada as I can this year but I don't have a set routine and I need help building one as I am more used to flying competition aerobatics in a Christen Eagle II in the IAC Sportsman category I'm getting ready for my first contest this year

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: T6 airshow sequence

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Well the first thing to note is: do NOT try to do your Christen Eagle routine in the T-6 LOL! It's more like rolling your living room than a competition aerobatic airplane. :mrgreen:
Having said that, it's all about energy management as the T-6 is a bit limited on power compared to a purpose built competition airplane. Here are some ideas from a video I did a couple of years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxHtL7cYM0o

...and here is the best T-6 airshow I can imagine, performed by the best of the best and my early mentor... :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1bFXOFTd4

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Thanks Rob and I will upload a video on my you tube channel for you to critique

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

You are very welcome! Have fun with your T-6 Sir!! 8)
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

what power setting would be best 32/2200 or 30/2000 for the airshow routine?

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Based on a bunch of stuff; weight, density altitude, etc., you'll just have to see what works for you and the maneuvers you have planned. Don't be afreaid to bail if it doesn't look or feel right :wink:
Rob Wilkinson

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I'll try that now

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I really enjoyed Bob's flight over Arlington (KAWO). Thank you for posting that.

Seeya
ATB

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Rob 32/2000 worked great for me in the T6 but I may also try 35/2200

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Paughco wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 21:38 I really enjoyed Bob's flight over Arlington (KAWO). Thank you for posting that.

Seeya
ATB
Ya man, you’re welcome! Bud is the master of the T-6 performance for sure! I thought you might have actually seen him as he’s based in Bellingham and I’m pretty sure he’s done the Arlington show a few times.
awash2002 wrote: 01 May 2021, 10:02 Rob 32/2000 worked great for me in the T6 but I may also try 35/2200
Sure, that’ll work too…you may not need 35” at that rpm but again, it won’t hurt anything for that short a time period.

Just remember that the perfect airshow loop is not the same as a competition loop...it just needs to be centered and on the show line and finish, hopefully, a bit higher than it started. Note that the harder you pull going into the loop, the harder you’ll have to pull on the way out…to meet the requirement above and miss the ground, etc… :wink:

Also note Bud’s moto: "Make the difficult look easy…the easy look spectacular…and never attempt the impossible!!"
It has worked great for me and for him as well apparently, as this year will be his 61st season of airshow flying!! There was a bit on him on Aero News in December of 2019 about his 60th season being 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqH2DwQ_BI&t=140s

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Cool

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I've displayed a T6 on an occasion or two.
The thing you want to remember is that the old girl is a bit on the heavy side acrobatically. Energy management is critical when displaying a plane like the 6. Pilots like Bud Granley who can perform at his level can set up for minimal power application and play the airspeed and g on each maneuver exiting maneuver A with the setup energy required for maneuver B and so on.
For a pilot new to displaying the 6, I would suggest flying the routine with the prop in fine pitch and to "play" with the power as needed according to the requirement for the next maneuver.
This doesn't mean to ignore energy management. By all means play the airspeed and the g as needed. It just means that instead of being nailed down to a preset power setting you can apply power if and when you need it without worrying about overboosting the engine.
Plan your program well and stick to the plan. Don't attempt two energy loss maneuvers back to back, especially snaps. They bleed your energy like a stuck pig, especially on the backside of a vertical.
Just take your time, break off the routine if you screw something up and reset the airplane for reentry into the routine. Don't push anything. If it looks bad, roll out to the nearest horizon and reset.
Remember my golden rule. "You should NEVER be pulling g during the last 1/4 of a vertical recovery. You SHOULD ALWAYS be releasing g and "feathering out" the recovery. If you ARE pulling g in the last 1/4 of a vertical recovery you are either too low on entry, too fast through the top, too low through the top, or a combination of any of the three. Adjust immediately and enter at a higher altitude and exercise better control of your g and airspeed.
Have fun.
Dudley Henriques

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I will keep the prop in full fine 2250 and 41"MP

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

awash2002 wrote: 01 May 2021, 23:44 I will keep the prop in full fine 2250 and 41"MP
No need to keep the power up that high all through your routine. Just leave the prop in fine pitch and modulate power as you need it. If you are using a lot of power you need more energy management. Basically you want to be using airspeed and g as your main tools for sequencing between maneuvers. Done correctly you should find yourself using a medium manifold pressure level as your base setting and "adjusting" up and down around that level throughout the routine.
Mostly this means powering up some for your vertical stuff and backing off the power as airspeed allows you latitude entering the next maneuver.
"Tradeoff" is the key phrase here!
Have fun, experiment, and get better at it............just like we do in real life.
Dudley Henriques

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I want to have you critique my first practice flight this morning

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”