Does the Texanhave both an alternator and a generator?

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Does the Texanhave both an alternator and a generator?

Post by Jacques »

Its a serious question! I noticed in these forums a discussion of T-6 electrics where there was a mention of an “alternator/generator”. The engine schematic, in the shift+7 2d panel, has a “generator” repair box at the top of the engine. I also have in my notes for a circumnavigation “nine” references to the “alternator” having some repairs made. Can someone from A2A clarify this for me? I’m still digging around on the internet, but not having much luck! Thanks!

JP

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Does the Texanhave both an alternator and a generator?

Post by AKar »

It is simply a nomenclature thing. When they started using bridge rectifiers instead of mechanical commutators to make DC output (and while at it, flipping the respective roles of the stator and the rotor for a good reason as that became possible), they started calling the generator an alternator. I presume for marketing purposes initially, as the benefits of the bridge rectifier design are well worth of justifying cashing them out, and the convention kind of stuck for no real technical reason.

As far as I understand, the T-6 has just one generator installed (which may or may not be of that alternator kind).

-Esa

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

There is only one for sure and I'm quite certain it's just a generator.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

Generator generates DC, alternator produces AC that is then translated to DC with greater control and efficiency. It's not just the branding. Two different designs, even if they serve the same function at the end. As alternators have several other advantages (like extended brush life - or even contactless), practically they replaced all generators in modern circuit designs.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I will watch the maintenance hangar more closely so if I see the message again I can ask what is going on. At this point, despite seeing multiple references to an “alternator” needing some sort of action in the log I keep, I begin to doubt my own eyes! 🤔

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Jarek wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:53 Generator generates DC, alternator produces AC that is then translated to DC with greater control and efficiency. It's not just the branding. Two different designs, even if they serve the same function at the end. As alternators have several other advantages (like extended brush life - or even contactless), practically they replaced all generators in modern circuit designs.
Personally I think it is a stupid naming convention. :mrgreen: This is because, technically, alternators are a subset of generators which produce non-rectified alternating current. That is, it includes a vast majority of them. Now, first, this is precisely what automotive/small airplane style alternators do not do, for their rectifying circuits are typically integrated, and hence, as units they produce rectified DC. Second, the naming convention of calling true AC generators "alternators" has dropped out of use almost entirely (in the languages I am familiar with): power plants have generators, aircraft with AC systems have AC generators and so on. The word "alternator" has only stuck with small, automotive/small airplane style things. I know it is fairly universal, but still I think it is stupid. :D

Technically, if the aircraft alternators were called alternators, equivalently, the "generators" should be called dynamos, the latter being actually more consistent term.

-Esa

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

Naming chaos is the essence of today's world :-)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yeh, in fact, in my native lingo (Finnish) these would be called "chargers", as the battery is effectively the heart of such electrical system, and the generator/alternator basically keeps it topped up. This is actually rather good nomenclature, however, someone back in the history had an idea of calling these charger kinds of alternators "AC chargers", which is downright hideous. That may have something to do with why I dislike the technical English term "alternator" in this context in the first place. :)

-Esa

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”