T-6 power check (over 2000 rpm at field MP)

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
lowew79
Airman First Class

T-6 power check (over 2000 rpm at field MP)

Post by lowew79 »

If I understand the procedure correctly, during pre-flight engine checks, you are supposed to set mix and prop to full, then adjust throttle until the MP is the same as the field barometric pressure.

Just for ease of use I set weather to standard, so the altimeter setting is 29.92. Therefore I adjust the throttle until MP is just below 30 on the gauge. I'm supposed to see 2000 RPM. I've done this a bunch of times and the RPM has always been very close to that.

But this time, when I adjusted the MP to 29.92, I got way WAY higher RPMs, like at the red-line. What does this mean? Did I mess something up? Is it safe to continue with takeoff?

While we are talking pre-flight, can someone explain the purpose of the "cruising fuel air mixture check". You put the MP at 1900 RPM with full prop and full mix. Then you pull the mix slowly towards lean until 100 RPM drop is noted then return to rich. the engine speed is supposed to increase slightly before it decreases. The manual seems to indicate that an immediate decrease means the mixture is set to lean, and a momentary increase of 25 rpm or more means the mix is set too RICH.

Ok is the point of this check to tell you where your mix knob should be set for cruise flight? If so, the procedure calls for a "return to rich" so you lose that setting. Also how can you set cruise mix on the ground? Doesn't that need to be set based on conditions at cruise altitude?

The whole thing confuses me, please don't be afraid to use small words I wont be offended ha ha.
Last edited by lowew79 on 29 Jul 2020, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: T-6 power check (over 2000 rpm at field MP)

Post by Jacques »

Was the oil temperature in the correct range for flight? I haven’t tried this on my Texan, but if you don’t warm the oil in the propeller governor (by cycling the prop with warm oil) then you can get a prop overspeed. No idea if A2A modeled this ( but I would think they did!😉) Its possible this was also an “artifact” or anomaly in your sim.

With regards to mixture, you’re just checking to ensure that adjusting the mixture works as expected. Unless you were flying out of a high altitude airport you would take off with the mixture rich for the cooling effect in the cylinders the extra fuel provides during takeoff. You can lean your mixture as you climb or when you reach your desired altitude.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”