Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Tour of GB Leg 2 Part 3 is Up - Video

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Another fun leg, thanks for posting and sharing Bruce.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Thanks Lewis!
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Nice one Bruce!! I was on the edge of my seat for most of it hahaha!
Btw, the very LAST thing you want to do when you're low on fuel is drag the airplane in with the gear and flaps down ... just sayin' :wink: :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 09:52 Nice one Bruce!! I was on the edge of my seat for most of it hahaha!
Btw, the very LAST thing you want to do when you're low on fuel is drag the airplane in with the gear and flaps down ... just sayin' :wink: :mrgreen:
Ah!! You see that is where experience pays off.

It never even occured to me to raise my flaps when that second red light came on. I WAS thinking about gliding in if the engine conked out, like you would in a Cub or a Tiger Moth, but with flaps down it would have been a pretty short glide!

And it would have been wise to leave that gear up until the last minute. Yes, making notes for the future!

Sometimes I ask myself why I share these videos - like 'Who cares anyway' kind of thinking. But I have learned so much more from recording and sharing than any amount of practice on my own would ever teach.

Thank you for the comments MkIV.
Gaming Computer

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Bruce66 wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 10:53 Ah!! You see that is where experience pays off.

It never even occured to me to raise my flaps when that second red light came on. I WAS thinking about gliding in if the engine conked out, like you would in a Cub or a Tiger Moth, but with flaps down it would have been a pretty short glide!

And it would have been wise to leave that gear up until the last minute. Yes, making notes for the future!

Sometimes I ask myself why I share these videos - like 'Who cares anyway' kind of thinking. But I have learned so much more from recording and sharing than any amount of practice on my own would ever teach.

Thank you for the comments MkIV.
You're very welcome Bruce66, anytime! ...and I like your videos at least, if that counts :wink: I'm really glad to see you enjoying the airplane!!

Here's the thing...the last part of your landing approach to the round-out/flare *should* be gliding. I think you'd see improvement in your comfort factor with the landing phase if you did a few full gliding approaches to grass strips without VAVSI/PAPI assistance. Unless you're IFR on a glideslope (which you can't really do properly with this airplane btw) you don't need to fly the 3° degree slope to the runway. It's good to know how it glides clean and dirty as a forerunner to the actual flare. So that you are familiar with that profile with no power to the ground, you could practice with setting up a glide with the throttle at idle at 80-85 knots clean as you turn towards the runway. Then when you are SURE you're going to make it, put the gear down, stabilise the glide and hold the flaps until you're REALLY sure you're going to make it, then start with 10-15° of flap. You can land that way if you have to, but if the approach is looking good use full flap and continue to your flare point on the steeper glide profile. It's just practice and again you're doing so well that I forget you're not a RL pilot :wink:

A summary of my normal circuit-type landing phase would be: 120-125 kts at cruise power on downwind, gear down just before turn to base and that should slow you to the 110 kt max flap speed. Select 10-15° flap first and stabilize the speed at 90 kts or so and when on final with *landing assured*, go to full flaps and slow to 80 until you're ready to start the *slow* transition to the flare simultaneously pulling the throttle to idle, your goal being to arrive six inches off the ground at idle power and 60 knots in the three point attitude...simple :mrgreen:

Having said that, I usually just use a close pattern break and there have been many times that I've ended up at idle power for the final descent...also, the resultant curving final approach is very nice for visibility.
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Thanks MkIV! I am adding that advice to my 'cheat sheet'!
Gaming Computer

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”