The Tour of Great Britain Continues - Video

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

The Tour of Great Britain Continues - Video

Post by Bruce66 »

This is the next part of the second leg of my tour - St Just to Bodmin via Truro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LhqNauIdqc

Enjoy! :D
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: The Tour of Great Britain Continues - Video

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks for posting this episode Bruce!! I'm really enjoying the tour and the small grass strips you're visiting!!

Btw, some flap...as in *ANY* flap would have helped a lot on the last approach...just sayin' :wink: ... of course, the go-around was simpler that way at least, without those pesky things hanging out there... :P
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 16:39 Thanks for posting this episode Bruce!! I'm really enjoying the tour and the small grass strips you're visiting!!

Btw, some flap...as in *ANY* flap would have helped a lot on the last approach...just sayin' :wink: ... of course, the go-around was simpler that way at least, without those pesky things hanging out there... :P
I knew you would spot that! The best thing about video is I can analyze my performance. The worst thing about recording is the extra work load, especially when landing!

It is fascinating how complicated VFR flying in an unknown area can be! Trying to study the map and compare it to the landscape whilst trying to line up a good approach. It's a lot to do!

At least I didn't crash!
Gaming Computer

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Bruce66 wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 04:49 I knew you would spot that! The best thing about video is I can analyze my performance. The worst thing about recording is the extra work load, especially when landing!

It is fascinating how complicated VFR flying in an unknown area can be! Trying to study the map and compare it to the landscape whilst trying to line up a good approach. It's a lot to do!

At least I didn't crash!
No, you did not!

Yes, for sure VFR in unknown areas requires a very complete flight plan so that you know exactly where you are at all times. It's about picking visual waypoints along the way and knowing how long it should take you to get to each one along the way. In that way you will know ahead of time where to look for the airport. Once you have to start looking at the map first and then trying to figure out which features you're looking at on the ground match the ones on the map, you're in trouble! I know from experience... :roll:

Having said that, the process would be significantly more difficult in the areas you're flying with the rambling roads, hedges and land plots etc., than it is in Western Canada where Alberta and Saskatchewan are basically laid out in squares and BC is navigated with reference to mountains, valleys and rivers. However, it's still pretty easy while trying to fix your position to convince yourself that the lake "over there" (outside) is the one you're looking at on the map, if you haven't been paying close attention to that point in the trip....again, I know. Even thought the rural roads are laid out in straight lines, it's in general very featureless in eastern Alberta and Western Saskatchewan...it was a good job back on that day that the small towns all had grain elevators with their name on them... :mrgreen:

The names were even more beneficial to my Dad one day back then when he was on the way to Oshkosh from Calgary. The town he checked for reference was actually in Montana so he scooted back across the border to Canada before the jets showed up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Valuable gems of wisdom as we have come to expect. Thank you for that - and the story of drifting into Montana;I can imagine doing that myself (but I probably wouldn't figure it out in time!)

The grain elevators! There are not many of those left, and they were never represented by any scenery developer that I have seen. What a shame! Although having the town name in each would be asking a bit much. Still, when I fly over Saskatchewan even the big grain terminals are missing and they must still be used for VFR reference. Maybe I am asking too much of the simulator.....
Gaming Computer

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”