Always something to learn in the Texan

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Always something to learn in the Texan

Post by bobsk8 »

This morning decided to fly from KGCK to KHUT. Weather was very cold and temp dewpoint was 32F/30F with light sleet. First thing I did was turn on carb heat after engine start to get carb temp around +3F degrees. I then did flightplan into GTN 650, taxied to active, did run up, and got takeoff clearance. from ATC. Started my takeoff roll, and noticed airspeed indicator was still reading zero mph. :| I slowed down to a stop, and once stopped I looked in shift 3 to see if I had forgotten to take pitot cover off, but it was off. Next thing I checked was pitot heat, but i had turned that on when I finished runup. ( there was my mistake) By the time I started takeoff roll, the pitot was plugged with ice. I waited a few minutes, and started takeoff again ( plenty of runway left) I saw airspeed start climbing, so I figured everything was back to normal. I got up to about 75 knots, and the aircraft rotated by itself ( I must have been much faster than 75 knots for this to happen cause my normal takeoff trim was set correctly) . I started flying, adjusted climb power, and airspeed still read 75 knots and would go no higher. Seeing that I would have been close to a stall at this point, but I was climbing, I decided I still had a partial blockage of pitot, so I flew using the AH at about a 5 degree pitch up. After a long minute or so, the ice apparently cleared, and airspeed gradually went up to 120+ knots.

Lesson learned, turn on pitot heat in these conditions right after engine start.

So now I am up to altitude, and cruising, and I checked my airspeed, and see it was around 120, and it should be closer to 140. I now realized that in the scramble to get the airspeed issue solved, I totally forgot to raise the landing gear. Rule two, when something goes wrong, go back to the checklist and make sure you have done everything, like raising the landing gear. :oops:
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”