two oil questions

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

two oil questions

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

a. is the degradation of the oil simulated like with the ga birds? Some guys here in the forum are talking about changing the oil. I'm not sure if they're just talking about refilling it. :roll:

b. Starting cold with low temperatures (not hangared) the oil pressure rises way above the upper limit even if you're idling (too) low. I know one should use the corresponding oil grade etc. But how much can she take or is she like the p51 and can handle pressures way above the red line?

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: two oil questions

Post by Scott - A2A »

a. is the degradation of the oil simulated like with the ga birds? Some guys here in the forum are talking about changing the oil. I'm not sure if they're just talking about refilling it. :roll:
Yes, the T-6 uses the latest oil simulation physics.

b. Starting cold with low temperatures (not hangared) the oil pressure rises way above the upper limit even if you're idling (too) low. I know one should use the corresponding oil grade etc. But how much can she take or is she like the p51 and can handle pressures way above the red line?
It can handle a lot, yes. Just warm it up like you would the real thing (not revving it when it's cold) and you will be OK

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Scott,

thanks for your reply!

Concerning the aging oil: As we can't see the oil color like in the GA aircrafts (oil stick) how do we estimate the oil status? Is there any note to change oil in the hangar or do we just change the oil in schedule? If so could anybody explain me the schedules?

Sorry for my bad Englisch today - bit tired... :|

Thanks,
Zacke

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Usually oil is changed on a schedule of engine operating hours. At least here in Germany. For your standard Lycomings and Continentals the Intervall is 50h.

The T-6 with its radial will probably have a different schedule. But going with 25h is a pretty safe bet in my opinion. Especially when you don’t have to pay for the oil :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Any advice how often to visit the maintenance hangar for regular inspection? The Accus Sim GAs have 25 hours, the warbirds 30 hour for changing filters and so on.

Don't want to enter the hangar to often for realism reasons.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

You don't even have to enter the hangar if everything appears to be OK, that is for the simulation. It makes it fun in a way not knowing to the extent of anything that may be wrong.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Thanks for your fast response, Scott.

But for doing some routine stuff (e.g. filters) I think I should use it in schedule. The question is what is a good intervall for doing it in the sim. To often is unrealistic and to seldom is irresponsible concerning the filter have to be changed every 25 hours or so. :shock:

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

And another thing: To do an oil change do I have to enter the hangar and use the oil option menu in the engine section. Or does a click in the shift-4-menu also change the oil (or does it only refill and mix it)?

Thanks!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Zacke wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 01:20 And another thing: To do an oil change do I have to enter the hangar and use the oil option menu in the engine section. Or does a click in the shift-4-menu also change the oil (or does it only refill and mix it)?

Thanks!
Yes you have to go into the maintenance hangar to change the oil. The Bonanza is our first airplane that allows you to go into the maintenance hangar to do things like filter changes, plugs, etc. without having the airplane inspected.

In real life I change the oil on the Comanche every 25-30 hrs. Sometimes I change the filter other times I skip and change the filter every other time. Some can't get around this thinking "that isn't good leaving the filter in?" I never understand this thinking as if somehow it's better not to replace the oil at 25 hrs.

So in Accu-Sim, you will get the exact same thing if you, in the load manager, drain the oil out then add it.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

So if I fill up the oil in the shift-4-menu do the old and the new oil mix?

After 5 hours of conservative flying (only patterns to get used to her) I've used up about 1/6 to 1/5 of the oil in the tank. Let's say I refill her every 10 hours or so and that mixes the oil volumes I don't need to change the oil because it gradually refreshes through the refill. Or did I get something wrong here? Is that the way Accu Sim is coded?

Thanks - the T6 (and the other birds) is a pearl!

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Scott - A2A wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 07:29
Zacke wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 01:20 And another thing: To do an oil change do I have to enter the hangar and use the oil option menu in the engine section. Or does a click in the shift-4-menu also change the oil (or does it only refill and mix it)?

Thanks!
Yes you have to go into the maintenance hangar to change the oil. The Bonanza is our first airplane that allows you to go into the maintenance hangar to do things like filter changes, plugs, etc. without having the airplane inspected.

In real life I change the oil on the Comanche every 25-30 hrs. Sometimes I change the filter other times I skip and change the filter every other time. Some can't get around this thinking "that isn't good leaving the filter in?" I never understand this thinking as if somehow it's better not to replace the oil at 25 hrs.

So in Accu-Sim, you will get the exact same thing if you, in the load manager, drain the oil out then add it.

Scott.
With the T6 there's no way to drain out the oil via the load manager. One can only top it up - all or nothing. That's only given with the Accu Sim GA planes. Maybe that's the point that confuses me. I can't figure out with the T6 how to replace the complete oil (literaly performing an oil change).

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

You can change the oil with a couple of viscosity options, in the maintenance hangar.
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Thanks for your response, Rob.

I know about the option to choose different oil types. But my questions is how to exchange to complete existing oil volume for refreshing the whole oil volume with the same grade.

With the Accu Sim GA planes you do that by emptying the oil tank via the load manager but with the T6 you can't do that within the shift-4 menu. So how do I drain the complete oil and refill the tank with fresh oil?

The T6 has the modern oil system simulated and the oil will degrade. So you have to refresh it sooner or later.

And my other question again: The T6 consumes a lot of oil. So if it's simulated the way that everytime I top up the oil tank via the load manager the new oil mixes with the old one the oil quality should stay in a more or less good condition. Or am I wrong here?

And a further question: Let's say I have used 3/4 of the oil tank and then change the oil type in the hangar, does it then automatically fill up the oil tank or do I have to fill it up via the load manager and then the two different oil types mix up?

Thanks in advance, guys! I just want to understand what's going on under the hood of Accu Sim for treating my baby as good as I can. :D
Last edited by Zacke on 27 Oct 2020, 11:10, edited 2 times in total.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Zacke wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 09:41 So if it simulated the way that everytime I top up the oil tank via the load manager the new oil mixes with the old one the oil quality should stay in a more or less good condition. Or am I wrong here?
I don't know how they've coded it but in the real world you'd still want to change your oil. I know where you're coming from but there are still combustion byproducts and fine metal in suspension in the oil even if you're adding oil regularly.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Change your oil to a different grade, then change it again, back to the one you like. Presto! Fresh oil.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”