two oil questions

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: two oil questions

Post by Scott - A2A »

Zacke wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 09:41And me other question again: The T6 consumes a lot of oil. So if it simulated the way that everytime I top up the oil tank via the load manager the new oil mixes with the old one the oil quality should stay in a more or less good condition. Or am I wrong here?
Good thinking but it doesn't work that way. The oil suspends particles. So you have the same particle count even when you add. Yes, the oil will get a "little" clearer when you add a quart or two but the particle count is a steady increase.
Zacke wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 09:41 And a further question: Let's say I have used 3/4 of the oil tank and then change the oil type in the hangar, does it then automatically fill up the oil tank or do I have to fill it up via the load manager and then the two different oil types mix up?
This removes all of the old oil and replaces it with fresh new oil, the same as a complete oil change.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Thanks guys!

So let me summarize that one:
  • Topping up the oil via the load manager does mix old and new oil contents/qualities but does not supersede an complete oil change in the long term.
  • Changing oil type in the hangar does replace the existing oil content/volume with new oil but does not top it up (in a different way from the GA planes).
  • To simulate a complete oil change one has to change oil type in the hangar to an other type, than back to first type (and than top it up via the load manager).
It's cool to have the latest oil modelling with the T6 but it's hard to have no chance to see the oil quality like with the GA planes.

Regards,
Zacke
Last edited by Zacke on 27 Oct 2020, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

The T-6 is with the Warbirds on the prior version of accusim which doesn't have all of the features the GA birds have. When we started on the T-6 we had a choice to either put it into the GA side or put it into the Warbird side and upgrade many components. We chose the latter because with the T-6 release, all of our Warbirds benefited from the tech improvements rather than just leave them to fall behind.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Assinthewind1
Airman

Post by Assinthewind1 »

ratty wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 17:50 Change your oil to a different grade, then change it again, back to the one you like. Presto! Fresh oil.
Thanks ratty - that's the concise answer we were all looking for! 8)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I also use the method Ratty uses for changing the oil. I found online a maintenance schedule for the R1340
Which I’ve been using for quite a few months now with good results:

25 HOURS:

Oil change
Oil Filter
Oil lines and connections

50 HOURS:

Accessory pumps
Cylinders (compression)

100 HOURS:

Cylinders (compression). Replace when measurement under 35/80
Magnetos (overhaul)
Spark plugs. Replace