Formation flying the T 6

Post by bobsk8 »

MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: Formation flying the T 6

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Hhmmm...I could easily be just me, but I'm not seeing anything here...... :?
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 09:37 Hhmmm...I could easily be just me, but I'm not seeing anything here...... :?
Rob,

Some browsers will tend to block embedded YouTube vids, I think because they use Adobe Flash. Safari doesn't seem to show embedded vids for example.

Here's the direct link though: https://youtu.be/uX_9I7IYj7Q.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks Nick,
I've never noticed that happen before...I'll check it our later!
Cheers,
Rob

Edit: Checked it out and thanks for posting Bob! However, there's not a T-6 in sight in that video :wink:
Lead is a Harvard MkIV and wing is a Harvard MkII...the last one taking off is Bud Granley in his SNJ-(5 I think) painted like the RCAF Golden Hawks Sabre team from the '60s. Bud was actually my first aerobatic mentor and he's still doing his amazing solo shows in the T-6, team shows with his son Ross in their Yaks and solo show in his Fouga Magister:D
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 09:56 Thanks Nick,
I've never noticed that happen before...I'll check it our later!
Cheers,
Rob

Edit: Checked it out and thanks for posting Bob! However, there's not a T-6 in sight in that video :wink:
Lead is a Harvard MkIV and wing is a Harvard MkII...the last one taking off is Bud Granley in his SNJ-(5 I think) painted like the RCAF Golden Hawks Sabre team from the '60s. Bud was actually my first aerobatic mentor and he's still doing his amazing solo shows in the T-6, team shows with his son Ross in their Yaks and solo show in his Fouga Magister:D
Once when I was training for my PPL, I was flying dual with an instructor and his friend , another CFII flew up next to us in another C 152 and my instructor suggested I try to fly in a sort of formation. Now we were hundreds of feet away from each other and even that made me nervous. I realized how hard it was to regulate speed, position, altitude all at the same time in a C 152. Can't imagine what it would be like flying something like a T6, a few feet from the other aircraft. :shock:
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The first thing that comes to mind is...
Magical :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

bobsk8 wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 08:50 Once when I was training for my PPL, I was flying dual with an instructor and his friend , another CFII flew up next to us in another C 152 and my instructor suggested I try to fly in a sort of formation. Now we were hundreds of feet away from each other and even that made me nervous. I realized how hard it was to regulate speed, position, altitude all at the same time in a C 152.
Haha, in that instance I'm glad to hear that your instructor was smart enough to stay hundreds of feet away!
bobsk8 wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 08:50 Can't imagine what it would be like flying something like a T6, a few feet from the other aircraft. :shock:
Well for sure, it's just about the most fun you can possibly have in the daytime with all your clothes on! :mrgreen: ...and it is a LOT of work, but also one of the most rewarding things you'll ever do when done properly!! Paradoxically, it's a whole lot easier when you're really close, because from 20 feet away or less, you'll see small changes right away and be making constant small adjustments to hold station; when you're farther away, you end up making fewer adjustments, but they'll be a lot more coarse and you'll never really get settled down in a position. Flying cross country in loose formation is like that...but it doesn't matter as you're only flying my fave "same way, same day" formation anyway. Airshow formation flying is a different thing, especially when there are more than two of you in the formation, as if you lose station you'll certainly screw someone else royally. The idea then is to get close and stay there...you'll work your butt off and climb out of the plane soaked in sweat, especially if it's been gusty and rough, but you'll be able to give yourself a hearty "Atta' Boy"!!
Oracle427 wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 09:19 The first thing that comes to mind is...
Magical :)
That's the word for sure, especially for me! I was the 22 year old son of Bob Wilkinson, who owned two Harvards and founded the Western Warbirds, at the time I received my Harvard endorsement in 1977..."Magical"...ya that's it!
Rob Wilkinson

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”