Should I lean mixture while using carb heat?

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
KarelPatch
Airman

Should I lean mixture while using carb heat?

Post by KarelPatch »

Hi,
Since mixture rich will cool engine (right?), in case of severe carb icing should I lean my mixture while applying carburetor heat?
In the manual if I remember correctly, it says that in case of icing during low RPM operations I should put the mixture to full rich while applying carb heat.

Thanks a lot.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Should I lean mixture while using carb heat?

Post by Jacques »

The first step in most cases I think would be to apply carburetor heat.

I think I also recall the A2A manual mentions if you are in a low RPM operation (I assume that means descending or landing) increasing manifold pressure and applying carb heat while also enriching the mixture if carb ice is suspected!

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Well now THIS is really strange :shock:

My (FSX) installation of the T-6 did not include the Manual!
I've just downloaded it... let me check (I've never read the manual in the years I've been flying it :mrgreen: )

KarelPatch
Airman

Post by KarelPatch »

Jacques wrote: 25 May 2019, 17:21 The first step in most cases I think would be to apply carburetor heat.
Absolutely. But if it isn’t enough, would leaning be helping?

KarelPatch
Airman

Post by KarelPatch »

flapman wrote: 25 May 2019, 17:45 Well now THIS is really strange :shock:

My (FSX) installation of the T-6 did not include the Manual!
I've just downloaded it... let me check (I've never read the manual in the years I've been flying it :mrgreen: )
Definitely read it, it’s great.
A2A manuals are always really extremely well written and presented.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

I found the passage, it only mentions this regarding "low RPM operation." The note about the mixture (it says enrichen not go full rich) is immediately preceded by the instruction to increase manifold pressure and RPM, so my assumption is that the enriching of the mixture is to promote smooth operation (especially considering the engine is about to ingest ice).
That's my best guess for now.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I “think” carburetor icing can occur anytime conditions allow for it, so according to a T6 manual: carburetor mixture temps of -10C to + 3C and/or free air temps of +4 to +8C and low power or cruise settings are the conditions when ice will form more readily. So using higher power settings when you suspect icing may occur will reduce the chances of it occurring. When I hear the engine begin to slow and lose MP, I use carb heat and it clears quickly.

KarelPatch
Airman

Post by KarelPatch »

Jacques wrote: 25 May 2019, 18:54 I “think” carburetor icing can occur anytime conditions allow for it, so according to a T6 manual: carburetor mixture temps of -10C to + 3C and/or free air temps of +4 to +8C and low power or cruise settings are the conditions when ice will form more readily. So using higher power settings when you suspect icing may occur will reduce the chances of it occurring. When I hear the engine begin to slow and lose MP, I use carb heat and it clears quickly.
I 100% understand this.
But now imagine you are flying at low power in carb icing conditions and you forget to use carb heat (big mistake!) Your plane starts to loose power and when you notice it less than a minute later you go full throttle + full carb heat with no immediate effect. You need that motor power back fast because the ground isn’t very far now. Usually in modern planes leaning would help warming the engine faster, but I don’t know about the T-6...

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Leaning does nothing significant to help with carb icing. The temperature of the cylinder heads and exhaust gas is not going to directly affect the temperature of the fuel/air mixture passing through the carburetor throat. The water vapor in the caburetor throat will condense and freeze under the right conditions.

The T-6 has a carburetor temp gauge and you can use it to maintain a continuous and appropriate amount of carb heat during cruise to ensure carb icing does not develop.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I see your point, but won’t leaning the mixture also take away from the power you now desperately need? Heat generated by using a lean mixture is generated inside the cylinder, the lack of excess fuel removes any cooling that happens due to excess fuel in the combustible mixture, but I’m not sure how that is going to help when you need warm air to melt ice inside the carburetor?

Coming in late sgain!!😂

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Why would it take away power if the act of adding in carb heat has made the intake air density lower and already enrichened the mixture? In order to regain lost power it is now necessary to lean.

This of course assumes that one was running rich of peak and not lean of peak in cruise.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Thanks Oracle, that’s a good point that I didn’t consider. I got lost in the urgency of regaining power, so I would have left some available power on the table...and probably suffered for it!

KarelPatch
Airman

Post by KarelPatch »

Oracle427 wrote: 25 May 2019, 19:39 In order to regain lost power it is now necessary to lean.
Ok, so there is at least something to do with leaning to regain power? Do you know in what order? Carb heat and leaning at the same time?
I’m trying to find the solution to something that happened to me and a friend flying the T6 in multiplayer yesterday. We had a rainy weather and just after takeoff we began flying slow to try doing some formation flight. Stupid idea. After only 2 minutes I got a complete power loss and basically died. My friend had a power loss 30s later and was able to land back to the runway.
We didn’t use carb heat. When back on the ground I did a complete overhaul and my fellow pilot did try the carb heat but our motors just stopped in the end.

I was wondering:
- what is the fastest way to heat the carb?
- is it possible that our carburetors were iced beyond the point of no return and the only solution was to let the planes a few hours in the hangar? Or what would be the solution in real life to get rid of the ice on the ground? Sorry I’m not a mechanic as you can guess :)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

KarelPatch wrote: 26 May 2019, 02:00 Ok, so there is at least something to do with leaning to regain power? Do you know in what order? Carb heat and leaning at the same time?
You'd probably apply carburetor heat as required, and if necessary, then lean to regain the power lost.
KarelPatch wrote: 26 May 2019, 02:00 - what is the fastest way to heat the carb?
Full carburetor heat. :mrgreen: In theory, if the engine has already quit firing (that is, you're screwed already), pulling mixture to cutoff while windmilling can allow for the ice to melt. But in all realistic situations, your mind should probably be on forced landing and normal loss of power things, not on tricks.
KarelPatch wrote: 26 May 2019, 02:00 - is it possible that our carburetors were iced beyond the point of no return and the only solution was to let the planes a few hours in the hangar? Or what would be the solution in real life to get rid of the ice on the ground?
Well, if the ice in the carburetor is the reason for hangaring, the airplane would in all probability come there on a truck bed, most likely in more or less mangled condition. By the time the mechanics get a look on it, the ice would have melted already. More seriously, I'm not aware of single instance where carburetor icing would have taken actions on ground to get removed after a successful landing. 'Usual amounts' of carburetor ice melt very quickly after the engine has been shut down. It is, after all, quite warm under the cowl when everything inside there seek their thermal equilibrium. This is also why all reported engine issues that remain unexplained after a technical inspection are typically attributed to carburetor icing, if the circumstances were at least somewhat fitting.

-Esa

KarelPatch
Airman

Post by KarelPatch »

Thank you Esa this is super clear, and thank you all for these very instructive answers :)

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”