Hand cranking a T-6....

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Hobart Escin

Hand cranking a T-6....

Post by Hobart Escin »

Did not know this was even possible. Now you can throw away that pesky power cart. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvHXBG-UrfI[/youtube]

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Re: Hand cranking a T-6....

Post by T6flyer »

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Didn't they also have a guinea pig in a rolling wheel activating a tiny generator ?
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Interesting find. What I don't get is the brush spring release handle. Is this related to the electrical starter? And where are the guys in the video doing this?

Thanks for sharing!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Piper_EEWL wrote:What I don't get is the brush spring release handle. Is this related to the electrical starter?
Yes, it appears there is a way to release the commutator brushes from being pressed against slip surface.

-Esa

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

These snippets are taken from the T-6G/LT-6G Maintenance Manual. Hopefully they are of interest! :)

Martin

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the additional information. Yes I figured it's to move the brushes away form their sliding surface because when hand cranked the started would act as a generator and put an additional load on the person cranking correct?

Interesting stuff
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

Quiet interesting seeing that done watching the momentum build , that was something from the past , my old had a Chev, that also had a hand crank.

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Even the Merlin-engined P-51 Mustangs could be started that way - up until mid P-51D-15-NA production, a starter crank was provided/mounted in the right/starboard landing gear wheel well on P-51B/C/D Mustangs, with the starter crank lug positioned on the starboard-side cowl (usually covered-over with a plug).

One of the local Stearmans based near me (owned by Paul Ehlen), which happens to be perhaps the most authentically-restored WWII Stearman flying today (and was flown by George Bush Sr. during primary flight training in Minneapolis during WWII), is so authentic to original spec that it can only be started using the hand crank, as per original. There are several great videos on Youtube of the Planes of Fame Air Museum's original P-26 Peashooter being started with the hand crank (again, the only method available), and of course that was also the only means of starting an authentic Bf-109 - when the Bf-109G "Black 6" used to be operational in the 90's, it required a couple guys, standing on the wing, cranking away, to get it started, as it was almost purely accurate to original spec (all of the other 109's that have been flying in recent years have been modified to have an internal electrically-controlled inertia starter).
John Terrell

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

I have managed to get the A2A T6 to fire and start from using the hand prop function...you need to be very patient (and a bit lucky) but it is possible. Good old Accusim engine physics at work!

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

The problem with trying to hand crank the T-6 is you only get one try to start the engine. Because if it doesn't catch the first time good luck trying to talk the guy into doing that a second time :lol:

john99vette
Senior Airman

Post by john99vette »

So where is the hand crank located? S2/S3?

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

seaniam81 wrote:The problem with trying to hand crank the T-6 is you only get one try to start the engine. Because if it doesn't catch the first time good luck trying to talk the guy into doing that a second time :lol:
Hehe yes that's true. Looks pretty exhausting. Maybe you'll get a second try if you offer a free ride :wink: :lol:

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Because if it doesn't catch the first time good luck trying to talk the guy into doing that a second time :lol:
[/quote]

:) :) :) :)

https://youtu.be/uf7nyTdwsHU?t=5m13s
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Oh boy. I'm sure the guys cranking were like: "what the ****!!" :lol: :lol:

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”