RAF Desert Camo (VH-TXN WIP)

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

RAF Desert Camo (VH-TXN WIP)

Post by Bomber_12th »

I've been working today on getting this one finished and uploaded (I just need to finish the VC textures and add the Australian flag to the pilot's flight suits).

This repaint depicts the Noorduyn-built Harvard Mk.IIb (AT-16) owned/operated by John Rayner in Australia, registered VH-TXN (I believe based at Tyabb airfield - same as Judy Pay). John Rayner is a member of the Southern Knights formation aerobatic team.

The paint scheme depicts one of the three NAA-built Harvards that were issued to the North African-based RAF 239 Wing (comprising of RAAF 3 & 450 Squadrons and RAF 112 & 250 Squadrons), in 1942, for 'Wing Training' - therefore available to RAAF 3 & 450 Squadron personnel (hence the Australian connection), but not actually taken on charge by the RAAF Squadrons. The purpose of this assignment of the 3 Harvards was to provide check-out flights for new pilots, to provide ferrying capability for pilots to pick up replacement aircraft, and to provide pilots trained in the RAF doctrine of “3 point” landings to train in the practice of “wheel landings”, more commonly used in US aircraft. The three Harvards carried the serials AJ844, AJ845 and AJ944.

John Rayner's restored Harvard was originally built by the Noorduyn company (Canada) in 1943, and assigned to the RCAF as FS966. It was flown by Commonwealth pilots, including Australians of the RAAF, attending the Empire Air Training Scheme in Canada during WWII. In 1946, the aircraft was sold to the Royal Swedish AF, where it became Sk 16A #16077. It was operated by Sweden until 1969, and the aircraft was retained by the Royal Swedish AF Museum until it was traded to an Australian collector in 1980. It was then purchased by John Rayner in 1994, fully restored, and the aircraft was painted in the desert RAF markings of AJ944. Later, the serial was changed to AJ844. In recent years, the aircraft has sported the serial AJ845 - thus, over the course of being owned/operated by Mr. Rayner, the aircraft has depicted all three of the 239 Wing Harvards.

I should hopefully have it uploaded tonight.

John Terrell

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Re: RAF Desert Camo (VH-TXN WIP)

Post by Ian Warren »

Looking good John :) quite amazing the different paints found on the aircraft.

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Looks like our own 'Wacky Wabbit'! Seriously we looked at this very airframe when researching the scheme for ours and used a lot of old wartime photos to replicate the Middle East scheme. Be good when we finish our virtual model to have both of them together. Keep up the good work, it is so much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Martin

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Ooo goody goody. This looks great and I love the belly color in that first screen. Awesome paint. I look forward to it.

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

Very impressive! :)

Greeting
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Looked beautifully!!! The desert colours look good on her. 8)

Great job, doing camo repaints is always more difficult then you think!

Marcel

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Great looking screen shots and paint scheme John!

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi John,

Like the look of this one very much. Has it been uploaded anywhere yet? No sign of it after a quick scan of the latest files on SOH.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Lovely job! always looks better with roundels :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

JamieKugelmann
Senior Airman

Post by JamieKugelmann »

This looks like the decent VH repaint that I've been waiting for. Any updates on a download link?
Cirrus SR20 pilot based out of YMMB - Moorabbin Airport, Victoria, Australia.

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Hey guys, I'm terribly sorry for such a long delay in getting this one finished and uploaded. Time ran-out last Sunday evening to get everything finished that I wanted to still get to, and then this past work week was very busy (besides being sick for most of it). Anyway, I have finally uploaded the repaint to Avsim, Flightsim, and Sim-Outhouse (file name jt_a2a_at6_vhtxn.zip).

Thank you very much for all of the compliments! Martin, I'm very glad to hear that the repaint of "Wacky Wabbit" is still underway. I had been thinking of doing that one too, but after doing this one, I haven't been too keen on doing another camo-job for a while (though you certainly learn of all of the final little nuances of the texture mapping that you may not have known prior with a simpler scheme (especially the wing tips)). ; )

As I have done with my last couple repaints, I modified some of the texture elements of the pilots to give them a personal touch/connection with the real world aircraft/operators. The VC textures are modified so that they are a match to the overall bluish-gray primer as seen on the real aircraft (which is a somewhat close match/look to the original bare/silver finish of the early Harvards/Texan cockpits, before the switch over to interior green paint).

Note the slot on the rear spine of the aircraft, as seen quite clearly in the below screenshot - this was a clear plexiglass window used to inspect the ballast weights fitted in this area of the empennage. This slot was present on early Texans and Harvards, but eliminated on later-production Texans and Harvards (and with post-WWII modified early Texans/Harvards, this slot was commonly paneled over from behind). The detail of this slot is present in the product bump/normal maps, but not in the main textures, so-which by default thus provides the look of this slot being paneled over (from behind), as common on post-WWII modified early-production Texans. To match the look of the early Harvard, I "opened up" this slot.

A couple of the "Southern Knights" Texans/Harvards together in the sim, VH-NZH and VH-TXN, just as commonly seen together in real life:

John Terrell

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Bomber_12th wrote:
Note the slot on the rear spine of the aircraft, as seen quite clearly in the below screenshot - this was a clear plexiglass window used to inspect the ballast weights fitted in this area of the empennage. This slot was present on early Texans and Harvards, but eliminated on later-production Texans and Harvards (and with post-WWII modified early Texans/Harvards, this slot was commonly paneled over from behind). The detail of this slot is present in the product bump/normal maps, but not in the main textures, so-which by default thus provides the look of this slot being paneled over (from behind), as common on post-WWII modified early-production Texans. To match the look of the early Harvard, I "opened up" this slot.
If you look at the beta models of the T-6G (especially Pamela Marie in the video), you can see that this was included as the basis for the design model was an early Harvard. As the G didn't have such an item it was duly removed, such was our attention to detail. But looking forward to trying this out in the near future. Many thanks for all your hard work, it is so much appreciated and hopefully soon the two will be flying together.

Best wishes,

Martin
Last edited by T6flyer on 21 May 2016, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

A truly superb repaint.Thank you.

Cheers Chris

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

It is now up at Simouthouse.

Cheers Chris

MustangL2W
Airman

Post by MustangL2W »

Another wonderful repaint for the Incredible T-6!

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”