N7055K (WIP)

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
crazac
Technical Sergeant

N7055K (WIP)

Post by crazac »

Here's a SNJ I'm working on for Tailspin45. He ran this beast here in San Diego for 10 years and I felt it needed to be immortalized. Plus, it's a straight cool paint.

It seems like a simple enough paint, but, it has actually been a bit difficult. A lot of the graphic lines run across the model seams. I was able to get the hard lines dialed, however, the blurs add a whole other dynamic. You would think they would help. Blurs + Seams = No Bueno! None the less, figuring out all of the nuances of his plane, learning about the 6 and how this model is put together has been a lot of fun. Or, I'm just a kook. :mrgreen:

The blur is a little to clean, so, I have some clean up around the seams and rattle can finessing to do. Then, there is stencils, dirt and grime, alpha and spec. Anyway, here it is, a work in progress. I hope you guys dig it.
You can see his bird here for reference https://www.flickr.com/photos/tailspin_ ... 278615987/

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Re: N7055K (WIP)

Post by Tailspin45 »

Looks awesome!

Years ago a graphic artist who worked the same place I did painted illustrations of the JN4 Jenny my grandfather flew, the A-20 Havoc my Dad flew, and the EA-6B Prowler I flew. We each thought the other's were the best, because we each knit-picked details on ours, because we knew it so well.

But I can't find a single detail that isn't exactly right on this Texan. Once Craig adds the radial engine slobber and other wear he describes, she'll be perfect!

I can't wait to fly down the coast again, do some lazy-8s, rolls, and loops just like I did "back in the day."

They say you can never go back, but now I'm not so sure.
Last edited by Tailspin45 on 03 Apr 2016, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Blue skies and tailwinds

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

Looks great. I'm looking forward to this one as I was fortunate to be a passenger at one time for an aerobatic flight during a visit to the San Diego area.

--WH

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

This looks really nice crazac! I especially like the blending *edges* of the colors... not too wide, not too thin, looks scale. That can be tough to get right and I think you got it!.
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yeah, that is coming along very nicely. I'm kind of a sucker for blue in any repaint!

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Thanks guys. It's a labor of love. :wink:

Alan, the blended edges took me a little bit to size. I wanted them to be scaled appropriately to the photo references but, had to see how it equated to in sim rendering and where model surface stretches. I have had to go over them several times. They're finally in a place wher I'm happy and can do the rattle can treatment so they look more sprayed and uneaven than a fade.

This leads me into my small update. I managed to get some time in on the belly slobber. These are an initial test to plan my technique and are based on one particular photo of Tom's. The oil color is just a stand in for now. Let me know if any of you have thoughts.

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

You nailed it, that's exactly right! Even the extra goop after the flap line.

No matter how many times we laid under that bird on a crawler, with solvent running up our sleeve, we couldn't keep it clean.

And it's not because the engine was a leaker, it was actually pretty dry.

Even with the forethought of North American, and the little scupper around the oil filler neck with the drain out the bottom of the cowl for inevitable spills, it somehow always had oil on the belly.
Last edited by Tailspin45 on 04 Apr 2016, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
Blue skies and tailwinds

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

The oil stains look great.

But now you'll need to add some worn areas and paint chips to various parts of the wings and panel edges.

--WH

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Yep that's the plan :D

Good to hear I'm on the right path. I was afraid it was a little much. I'll get after the rest of the wear and paint spray this week. If all go well, the exterior will be done this weekend. I haven't looked into the interior yet, but, that will follow.

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

My family treated me to an aerobatic flight in that same Texan some 15 years ago.

I found the photo album and checked the photos. There was definitely a mix of stains, and some shiny edges and screws though out.

EDIT: Perhaps this might help

That's me with the pilot doing a preflight inspection. Notice the uneven paint on the leading wing edge, and the shiny screw heads.

Keep up the good work. This is going to be a good one. Thanks much for your efforts.

--WH

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Great photo, thanks WarHorse47! I'm stoked, and a little jealous, you got to fly in her 8).

The leading edge and the unevenness of all of the blends was key from the start. I really love how the color interacts there. I'm definitely going to do some of the paint chipping to. As for the shinny bolt heads, we'll see. If I'm not cross-eyed by then. :P

I'm happy you're pumped on it. I should be able to put some more time in tonight.

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

Only thing missing is a tailhook.

Maybe we can talk Scott into adding it as a switchable option on a future update? :mrgreen:

--WH

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

How's it going?? :shock:

Thought I'd BUMP this up to see how things are progressing... :mrgreen:

--WH

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

It's going well, but, a little slower than I'd like actually because I'm heavy with work. I'm hoping tonight and tomorrow I can finalize the exterior.

Anyway, I have an update. I added some more weathering, readdressed the belly and leading edge, added some paint chipping and leakage and some wear on the prop. This is still area starters so I will be adding and finessing a little more. Alpha and spec will be last. [Edit] I forgot to mention stencils. Tailspin45 has done an amazing job getting me legit stencil wording and placements. I've been holding off on that until the end. The ones you see are A2A's stock and not what is appropriate for this paint. Just candy for now.

Here are a couple progress shots.

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

Looking very good. Nice work. Love the detail. Thanks for the update.

I posted this in another thread, but its more fitting here.

That's me in the back. :wink:

--WH

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”