Tutorial How to loop the T6

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Tutorial How to loop the T6

Post by DHenriques_ »

Loops in the AT6 are pretty straight forward. You can do a loop at most any airspeed between 190mph and 210mph. Just remember, you have to play the g required against the airspeed. 4 g's is about max for a loop in the T6 and a 4g loop is optimized at about 190 mph so that's a good combination to shoot for.

Set up at METO power. Most aerobatics done in the AT6 along level flight such as rolls and requiring a pull into the vertical plane are done using METO power (30 inches and 2000RPM. Note that maneuvers begun from level flight into a downline such as a Split S are initiated at no more than 100mph and idle power.

Now for your loop; Start at no lower than 3000 feet AGL. Using METO power, lower the nose to around 25 degrees and seek your entry airspeed of 190mph. Reaching 190 start a smooth pull to 4g's and look out to your left wingtip (Track IR makes this much easier but you can do it using a hat. Checking the left wingtip now you are pulling into the vertical plane. Here's what to watch for concerning your wingtip. There is a relationship between your wingtip and the horizon and that relationship is directly connected to your rudder. For the first 135 degrees of your loop you want to be flying the airplane using that wingtip out there as your guide to directional control. Here's what to look for.
If that left wingtip is on the horizon you are pulling in a straight line which is what you want. Now..if that wingtip is below the horizon line you are yawing left of your desired line. Bring the tip back to the horizon with right rudder. The reverse is true if the tip is above the horizon line. In that case you are yawing to the right so bring the tip back with left rudder.
Conversely, if the tip is moving forward on the horizon line you are turning left. Right aileron to stop that. Reverse for the tip moving backward on the horizon line. You are then turning right. Left aileron to fix that.
Remember, if your coordination is off on your initial pull you could be experiencing a combination of these errors so be watchful. That wingtip out there is your attitude guide for that first 135 degrees. It tells all so correct whatever the wingtip is telling you to correct. This takes practice so don't despair. Remember, anyone can pull on a stick or yoke and loop an airplane. But that usually results in a dirty loop with the aircraft all over the sky just going where it wants to go. A GOOD loop requires an on heading entry, on heading execution, and an on heading recovery.
Now at 135 degrees on your vertical line, switch your view up and backward and pick up the horizon. Make a correction to a wings level inverted attitude here and follow through with your backside recovery.
Watch your airspeed here. You should be around 80mph at the top inverted. If you have done everything correctly you should be able to complete the loop on heading and without touching the power. Judge your recovery with the ASI. A little high is ok but again done perfectly, the loop should have you recovered back in level flight at the entry altitude and the entry airspeed.
Have fun

Dudley Henriques

awash2002
A2A ACE

Re: Tutorial How to loop the T6

Post by awash2002 »

Thank you So much

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Thanks for the tips Dudley. They're a great help. After 3.5 hours, I'm starting to be able to do a decent landing. Did a loop last night, but started at about 500ft AGL, 190mph, but chopped power just after the top of the loop to avoid contact with the ground. Came out at treetop height. Lots of fun. Will try the slow roll tonight.

For what it's worth, I think these tips should be pinned for future reference. With my memory, I'll need to re-read :wink:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Great. Thanks for the advice! The first loop I tried in the T-6 ended in a Hammerhead because I was simply to slow. I'll try again with 190mph!

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

joers182
Senior Airman

Post by joers182 »

Great advice but I'm still struggling to get this bird to loop. I enter at 190MPH, pull 4 G's but it always seems to end up stalling out just as your coming up to the top of the loop.
Joe W

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

joers182 wrote:Great advice but I'm still struggling to get this bird to loop. I enter at 190MPH, pull 4 G's but it always seems to end up stalling out just as your coming up to the top of the loop.
Power setting?

Sounds like you might be easing off the g a bit too much at the top. As the speed drops off past vertical you need a bit of right rudder and keep some positive g on the airplane. Fly it on through the top. It's a delicate balancing act for the g between 135 degrees and inverted through the top. Too much g and you could snap out of the loop and not enough and you can stall at the top.
Keep trying varying the g until you find the sweet spot.
One more thing you can do is lighten up the fuel load. Try flying with 25 gals in each main for a local aerobatic flight. Also, if you are having problems try increasing your entry airspeed to 210mph with a smooth pull.
Hope this helps a bit.
Dudley Henriques

joers182
Senior Airman

Post by joers182 »

Thanks for the tips I'll fire it up and give it another shot. :)
Joe W

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

I was wringing this aircraft out the other night, doing low-level aerobatics at METO power (just cubans, loops, and rolls), and I actually felt like I got a bit of a workout, as if having done it all in the real aircraft. It's always nice when the aircraft in the sim has such an accurate/realistic feeling of heaviness/weight, to have the feeling that you are actually muscling the aircraft around. The aircraft also allows/provides for great practice in airspeed management and pre-planning in this regard (I just about wish that you guys had just as accurate of a Stearman, now, as that would be a real trip to have in flight sim too, for the same reasons).
John Terrell

joers182
Senior Airman

Post by joers182 »

Well I fired her up and after countless times of trying to loop I think I've finally nailed it. Well its needs lots of practice but I now know where I was going wrong.

Before I was trying to hold the 4G all the way through the loop which meant I was pulling back to much on the stick at the top of the loop. What works for me is pulling the initial 4G at 190mph and then as you start getting towards the top you ease off the back pressure a bit and it seems to work well for me :)

Thanks for all the help. Its a blast!
Joe W

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

Pretty please can this be a sticky???

Donald
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

sorted :)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

b3a
Airman First Class

Post by b3a »

That explains my problems haha

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Blatant brag but around 20 years ago I had the amazing fortune of Patty Wagstaff taking me up for aerobatics in a Texan. One of the maneuvers was a loop. At the top of the loop with the world upside down, the dirt in the cabin was floating up as we passed through zero G. It was very odd to see a fairly intact layer of dirt floating in front of my face. I had never seen anything like that and for just a moment I was weightless. At the bottom of the loop there was a solid bump as we flew through our own wake. She explained over the intercom that was a sign of a good loop.

For my part she let me try a procedure turn and I mostly(?) nailed it. But compared to everything she did it was less than "meh".

I’ll never forget that experience. So hard to believe it was 20 years ago.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AerialShorts wrote:Blatant brag but around 20 years ago I had the amazing fortune of Patty Wagstaff taking me up for aerobatics in a Texan. One of the maneuvers was a loop. At the top of the loop with the world upside down, the dirt in the cabin was floating up as we passed through zero G. It was very odd to see a fairly intact layer of dirt floating in front of my face. I had never seen anything like that and for just a moment I was weightless. At the bottom of the loop there was a solid bump as we flew through our own wake. She explained over the intercom that was a sign of a good loop.

For my part she let me try a procedure turn and I mostly(?) nailed it. But compared to everything she did it was less than "meh".

I’ll never forget that experience. So hard to believe it was 20 years ago.
Patty is a good friend. My wife and I will be seeing her for lunch on Friday in St Augustine.
You're right. Patty is one of the "good people".
Dudley Henriques

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Hey Dudley, very cool! When you see her, tell her the guy who used to do her newsletters back in Marana days says hello! Amazing gal!
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”