Remote Compass

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Remote Compass

Post by tbaac »

I'd been wondering, what is the Remote Compass please?
(item 18 on the front panel chart in the manual, the instrument directly underneath the Heading Indicator)

Are there any special tips for navigation in this plane?
Or is it either:
- GPS (or using the popup map)
- Dead reckoning and pilotage, with the help of VOR1?

Thanks very much :)
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Remote Compass

Post by lonewulf47 »

tbaac wrote:I'd been wondering, what is the Remote Compass please?
(item 18 on the front panel chart in the manual, the instrument directly underneath the Heading Indicator)

Are there any special tips for navigation in this plane?
Or is it either:
- GPS (or using the popup map)
- Dead reckoning and pilotage, with the help of VOR1?

Thanks very much :)
The Remote Compass is a simple menas to give you the Magnetic Heading of your A/C. It is driven by a Flux Valve, positioned somewhere outside mayor magnetc distortion. The pointer just points to the Magnetic Heading. As there is no slaved compass rose it just points to a figure in the 360° dial. This kind of display needs a bit getting used to, however once you get the hang of it, it becomes a handy thing in case your Gyro Compass has drifted off. It is a good replacement for the Whisky Compass, as long as you have electric power. It has no drift like the Gyro Compass.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Thanks Oskar :)

I couldn't find the term "Remote Compass" on google but was just reading about how flux gates work, understanding some of it :mrgreen:
So I'm happy to read that its something like that.

The magnetic compass isn't that easy to read and I was tempted to turn off gyro drift as a concession to simulation.

I'll give it a try referencing the Remote Compass in future.

Is it safe to assume if I have electrical power that the Remote Compass is accurate?

Thanks again.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

tbaac wrote:....Is it safe to assume if I have electrical power that the Remote Compass is accurate?....
Yes, absolutely. One of the "advantages" of all simulators. Such indication is always correct except if we would build in a random error. But that's not the case here.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”