Short Field challenge

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
dwg21687
Airman First Class

Short Field challenge

Post by dwg21687 »

What's the shortest runway you've landed on without a prop strike or ground loop?
Image Image Image Image Image

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Short Field challenge

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

Carrier
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

SABA is doable but you've got to stand on the brakes after touchdown.

Using Fly Tampa scenery w/ one person (not quite 5300lbs) and "clear skies" wx theme.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

A small airfield in Germany. 580m (1900ft) gras runway.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

dwg21687 wrote:What's the shortest runway you've landed on without a prop strike or ground loop?
Using a behind the power curve approach over the fence at about 75mph, I've put a T6 down on dry grass in under 2000 feet with very careful periodic minimum braking.
Dudley Henriques

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Wonder how this would be as a bush plane at some of the ORBX strips in PNG.

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:Wonder how this would be as a bush plane at some of the ORBX strips in PNG.
I think this calls for some experimenting :twisted:

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Hmmm, interesting challenge! :D Anyone know of any Carriers around the UK coast in FSX?
Don't you need an Arrestor Hook?! :shock: Then again I guess a decent headwind.........
Are the Carrier Decks solid objects with crash detection off?
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

This one got lost in the host of really great quality display shots up in the screenshot thread.

This is Walker's Cay in the Bahamas @ 2400'. Water or trees at both ends and down the sides.

She has no trouble at all getting in or getting out on this length of runway. Just don't wander off the sides. :-)
FAC257

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

One "parked" carrier I know of is off of KSFO - using the 285° radial from SFO should take you to it. It's just a few miles off shore. It looks like an old rusted hulk compared to the "normal" carriers in FSX.

Yes, you can land on it. It took me a number of attempts but I managed to stick one on (no wind).
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: Using a behind the power curve approach over the fence at about 75mph, I've put a T6 down on dry grass in under 2000 feet with very careful periodic minimum braking.
I'll keep that in mind for practice, it is amazing how different this is to anything released previous .. Its a bloody education .. tha has to be COOL! 8)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ian Warren wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote: Using a behind the power curve approach over the fence at about 75mph, I've put a T6 down on dry grass in under 2000 feet with very careful periodic minimum braking.
I'll keep that in mind for practice, it is amazing how different this is to anything released previous .. Its a bloody education .. tha has to be COOL! 8)
It's the beauty of Accusim. Each plane developed benefits from its own Accusim package plus any and all global updates that improve all Accustomed airplanes. Add to all this that at any time, an update with improvements can be applied to ANY pre-purchased A2A airplane if and when such an improvement is discovered.......and this provided to the A2A customer at no extra cost whatsoever.
In other words, A2A airplanes keep getting better all the time. It just doesn't get any better than this !
Dudley Henriques

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

:D Dudley, I should have mentioned .. any Harvard/Texan previously released for FS .... anything A2A is an Education.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ian Warren wrote::D Dudley, I should have mentioned .. any Harvard/Texan previously released for FS .... anything A2A is an Education.
I've spent years telling pilots, especially my fellow instructors, that using an A2A airplane in the flight simulator is a very useful tool. The response from the community has been an overwhelming positive.
It's almost uncanny how good the A2A team is at transferring some of my suggestions on realism and immersion into 1's and 0's. These people are the absolute best in the business bar none.
In my opinion A2A is so far ahead of the rest of the industry that I don't even consider using any other aircraft in the sim. In fact, I don't even know what some of the default airplanes look like as I've never brought them up to look at them. :-)
Dudley Henriques

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I was pleasantly surprised when I managed to get the Accu-Sim T-6 down safely on the short grass runway at Orbx's Shoreham (EGKA: 13/31, 408m / 1,339 feet). This is a bit longer than SABA it's true and also has the benefit of less precipitous runway ends if things don't go entirely to plan! :mrgreen:

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”