Engine break in procedure?

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
JamieKugelmann
Senior Airman

Engine break in procedure?

Post by JamieKugelmann »

What is the proper engine break in procedure for the T-6?
& I noticed for cruise power settings it just says 24" 1850rpm. Is this fine for all altitudes? Is it the best for the engine? It seems quite a low power setting for cruise. My understanding is that I could cruise up to 2000rpm 26" at any altitude and it would still be good for the longevity of the engine.
Cirrus SR20 pilot based out of YMMB - Moorabbin Airport, Victoria, Australia.

Piperflyer777
Airman

Re: Engine break in procedure?

Post by Piperflyer777 »

When I first downloaded it I started the engine and leaned the mixture a little and let it idle for 30 minutes.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

JamieKugelmann wrote:What is the proper engine break in procedure for the T-6?
& I noticed for cruise power settings it just says 24" 1850rpm. Is this fine for all altitudes? Is it the best for the engine? It seems quite a low power setting for cruise. My understanding is that I could cruise up to 2000rpm 26" at any altitude and it would still be good for the longevity of the engine.
Yes, this is correct. Everything within the green arcs is actually permitted for cruising with leaned mixture. The 24"/1850 RPM is just the recommended cruise setting as it is also used in today's RL A/C. There is no specific break-in procedure - also not mentioned in the Maintenance Manual.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Piperflyer777 wrote:When I first downloaded it I started the engine and leaned the mixture a little and let it idle for 30 minutes.
Actually, for aviation engines the break-in procedure is exactly the opposite: use it for the first 10-15 hrs at a high cruise power setting :D Idling is not a specifically good option as temperature distribution is uneven due to the cylinders not being equally well supplied with a proper fuel-air mixture - especially not in a big radial.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

JamieKugelmann
Senior Airman

Post by JamieKugelmann »

Thanks Oskar, so would it be a wise idea to run at 26" 2000rpm for the first 15hrs? (Top of the green)
& should the climb also be extended to 2200rpm 32.5" or is the listed 2000rpm 30" fine?
Cirrus SR20 pilot based out of YMMB - Moorabbin Airport, Victoria, Australia.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

JamieKugelmann wrote:Thanks Oskar, so would it be a wise idea to run at 26" 2000rpm for the first 15hrs? (Top of the green)
& should the climb also be extended to 2200rpm 32.5" or is the listed 2000rpm 30" fine?
I don't think AccuSim considers a specific Break In procedure. But apart from that every powersetting that you deem satisfactory and that is within the Max. Continuous Range is fine.
Oskar

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yes, as Oscar notes the recommended break-in for actual airplane engines could be summarized as using them well and hard. If one is (unnecessarily) conservative on cruise MP in an airplane engine, the break-in is not a period to be so. If anything, I'd avoid unnecessary sustained full-RPM operation, but that also goes with regular ops too, so in essence, aside a few things the maintenance folks should take care of, there is very little the break-in period brings into the operation. Not sure if these radials had some extra conditions.

-Esa

TatoBean
Airman First Class

Post by TatoBean »

So this is kinda an old thread, but I figure I've got some knowledge from breaking in a couple engines back in my flight instructor days, so I can chime in if anyone wants to break in their engine.

The purpose of the break in is to seat the piston rings to the cylinder walls. So you want to use high power settings to increase the combustion chamber pressure and help to expand the rings against the cylinders. This causes them to shave off the little high spots on both and create a better seal but also makes a little metal, so you want to use an oil with good cleaning properties which is why most "break in oils" are mineral oil. So as a pilot you'd keep the airplane down low where the air is nice and thick and the engine makes good power and just blast around burning tons of gas making lots of noise. Most engines have a schedule; eg. Max continuous power for say 3 hours, then max cruise for 7, then change oil, then max cruise for 15 hours, then change oil.

The 1340 probably has a break in schedule that has been written by current operators as the engine is still used in a bunch of ag applications, but I haven't gone searching for it yet (I got me a used T-6 so hopefully I can squeeze another 450 hours out of it before I need a new engine :-P )
Let the potato rest for 5 minutes.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”