GTN 750

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
Heater
Airman

GTN 750

Post by Heater »

I see that someone has reported installing/integrating the Flight 1 GTN 650 into the T-6. Does it also have the capability (and panel room) to accept GTN 750 panel integration?

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Re: GTN 750

Post by MatzeH84 »

By the looks of it.. no. A pity, but it's an understandable decision not to include the big units.
Kind regards, Matthias

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sorry, no GTN750, that unit is a bit large for a simple integration into the T-6, I'd think that might be done more for a full glass conversion in real life than a simple addition to the existing pit that many have flying today.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Heater wrote:I see that someone has reported installing/integrating the Flight 1 GTN 650 into the T-6. Does it also have the capability (and panel room) to accept GTN 750 panel integration?
Have a peek on the Aircraft Configurator: there you will see all possible installs:

Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

I did think the GTN750 might look a bit silly stuck at the bottom like that.
As above though, we can't use it.
(although presumably it would be possible to manually edit the config file and just have it as a popup?)

I tried the Reality XP GPS yesterday in FSX SE and see that it doesn't work in there due to lack of support from the developer (not an A2A issue obviously).

I tried the freeware KLN90B with FSX SE and got an error (not caused by A2A either, obviously):

"Could not connect to Flight Simulator!
File: :Lib\FSX\SimConnectWrapper.cpp
Function: swan2::lib::fsx::SimConnectWrapper::Init Line 286"

Anyone have that working with FSX SE?

Thanks.

edit: I tried reinstalling SimConnect following the advice in the FAQ here but it didn't help, and the rest of SimConnect seems to be working fine so I think its the gauge.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

There is just simply no room for a GTN750, at least not without seriously rearranging the panel. It was of the reasons that lead me to get the 650 first, knowing that it might end up in some of my future favorites ie Civil P-51, T-6, T-33, the possible RealAir Scout v2...ie planes with narrow cockpits.

Basically any 'fighter' or tandem seat style narrow cockpit won't have room for big a GPS unit like the 750 or even GNS530 in some cases. The GTN650 works great tho.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Yeah okay, you planned things better than me :lol:
I just thought, "nice big picture, works on the C172", that'll do.

Its a bit of a downer that they charge the same amount for the 650 and 750 separately imho.
I guess I'll try navigating the old school way.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

lol yeah I always thought F1's GTN pricing was a little screwy....if it were me I would have charged 55 for the 750 and 45 for the 650, then maybe 90 for the bundle. That would mirrior the pricing scale of the real world units in a sense. With the pricing 50/50 for both, most people will buy the 750 simply because it has a bigger map window.

I would recommend saving for the 650 if you get a chance. I think it is a very underrated GPS and even has some advantages to the 750, such as 'compactness' more numerical data fields.

Oh well, good luck with it. Maybe A2A can include a 2D 'blank' radio spot option for things like the KLN or maybe even shrinking the 750.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Well the KLN is supposed to (presumably does) fit in the T6.
It just doesn't work on mine and its either a problem with FSX SE compatability with the KLN, or a problem with my FSX installation.

I'd forgotten how to get TrackIR to work and couldn't get it to switch cameras (the little 'c' symbols weren't clicked).
Happy now as I can now look round my new plane :)
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

scubaboy
Airman

Post by scubaboy »

tbaac wrote:I did think the GTN750 might look a bit silly stuck at the bottom like that.
(although presumably it would be possible to manually edit the config file and just have it as a popup?)
Actually you don't need to do any editing, the GTN750 comes with a Config tool that will let you add it as a popup
GPS in any aircraft with just a few mouse clicks.

I'm kind of on the fence whether or not to get the GTN650 - the T-6 is my only aircraft that has 650 panel integration,
but not the 750. I'm used to using the 750 as a pop-up, and it can be resized smaller to not block your view. I usually
pop it up out of panels for interaction, anyway, but it is nice to watch it in the panel otherwise.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Same here. I've the GTN750 for P3D (I have P3D v2).

I bought the T6 for FSX SE and am tempted to buy the GTN650.
Probably should just stick with no GPS unless the KLN90B will work.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

I installed my 750 as an popup but I only use it for additional info that is not listed with any other gps units. I like using the Shift-5 map as that is plenty of info most of the time and will do just fine in most cases along with the GPS unit on the lower panel if you select to use one of those.
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I bought the GTN650 and it's now my new favorite unit

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

I noticed Froogle is using the GTN 650 on his recent Tapini airfields tour.

I just thought it might be useful to have GPS on longer flights although I'm practicing the basics first in the Six.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

jimcarrel
Senior Airman

Post by jimcarrel »

tbaac wrote:I did think the GTN750 might look a bit silly stuck at the bottom like that.

I tried the Reality XP GPS yesterday in FSX SE and see that it doesn't work in there due to lack of support from the developer (not an A2A issue obviously).

I tried the freeware KLN90B with FSX SE and got an error (not caused by A2A either, obviously):

"Could not connect to Flight Simulator!
File: :Lib\FSX\SimConnectWrapper.cpp
Function: swan2::lib::fsx::SimConnectWrapper::Init Line 286"

Anyone have that working with FSX SE?

Thanks.

edit: I tried reinstalling SimConnect following the advice in the FAQ here but it didn't help, and the rest of SimConnect seems to be working fine so I think its the gauge.
I've tried the KLN90B, installed into P3D main folder, read instructions, changed the gps unit in the config program. I can't get it to fire up, it just sits there (smiling, I think). It may be a cpu affinity problem, its probably running on an LP that is full. However I can't ascertain what program I need to control. Looked in Task Manager to see what all is running but don't see anything new.......maybe its not running at all.

I had lag with the GTN750 (on another plane) until I set its affinity.

*edit
It started working, could have been after hitting the "auto pilot" switch, not sure. Haven't worked with it yet. I found the KLNB80 drop down in the menu bar when I hit the hide/show button, P3d crashed. (but it did start initiating!)........later

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”