Canopy Curiosity

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
crazac
Technical Sergeant

Canopy Curiosity

Post by crazac »

First I have to say, I don't know much about the 6 and all of these canopy variants are new to me. Really, this is just an observation and nothing to do with the fact that we only have 3 canopy options, WHATEVER! Instead, I could probably say, 3 is more than most. I'm stoked on that.

In the T6 No-Spinner thread, Bomber 12th's photo has a canopy that has a "modified" front and a "racer" rear glass, according to A2A's graphic. I'm just curious about this. Are there a ton of variants, is this a special case, or am I missing something with the canopy selector. It kind of looks like you can select deferent rear glass for each set-up. Is that true, or is it excessive?

Bomber_12th wrote: Image
Scott - A2A wrote:
Three canopies can be installed, real time, via the maintenance hangar:

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Re: Canopy Curiosity

Post by T6flyer »

The photo is of an SNJ-6, which has the wartime/modified front screen and the clear blown version of the racer. There are subtle differences between this airframe and that modelled and so it wasn't made available as an option. In doing so, something would be created that was in fact visibly incorrect and therefore not living up to A2A standards.

Martin

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

One thing that strikes me after just 5 minutes or so looking at T-6 photos this morning is just how much variation there is with the canopy. For instance, a lot of Harvard Mk. 4s seem to sport yet another variant, similar to the A2A 'modified' but without the overhead bracing in the middle of each canopy section.

Other individual aircraft have seemingly random variations on which bits of canopy have additional overhead bracing, for instance this one and this one.

The T-6 is a type which I've been shamefully ignorant of until now, but it's one which I'm looking forward to getting to know much better. :)

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Nick M wrote:One thing that strikes me after just 5 minutes or so looking at T-6 photos this morning is just how much variation there is with the canopy. For instance, a lot of Harvard Mk. 4s seem to sport yet another variant, similar to the A2A 'modified' but without the overhead bracing in the middle of each canopy section.

The T-6 is a type which I've been shamefully ignorant of until now, but it's one which I'm looking forward to getting to know much better. :)

Nick
Yes, the 4 canopy did take out the upper central brace to each panel. Another thing with the Harvard 4 and the Harvard II and IIB is that they all have a fixed 6 panel rear section, with a curved lower surface. There are so many variations and at times even with this project it got a little confusing. Even myself spending over 30 years with the aeroplane, have at times have to take a second look.

Martin

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

When it comes to the T-6 and asking for things like a 'canopy like this' or 'authentic cockpit like this' it can certainly be looked upon like going into a store and asking for a length of string without then adding any measurements at all to your request.

The variations are almost endless, with sub variants, sub sub variants, coupled with an aircraft that apparently lasts forever, early models could be kept flying and modified, you end up with a pretty crazy options that poor Martin here has to regularly research and find out information for his livery business.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

T6flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by T6flyer »

Couldn't have put it better myself!

A complete headache at times and although you know what it came out of the factory looking like, in most instances the rebuilds and current stock, can look completely different. So many variations of the same theme. I am something of a purist, but then I don't own the aeroplane, therefore the customer is always right! ;)

Martin

Talking of 'headaches' here is a good example. This is Harvard Mk.4 RCAF20286 which later became N13631 (Race Number 88 'Super Slug'), then G-BKCK and now D-FAME.

In the first photo we see her as a stock ex-RCAF machine. Nothing out of the ordinary. But note the AT-6D/SNJ-5 behind as that has a T-6G front canopy. Probably to aid visibility when turning pylons.

In the second photo, she has lost her radio mast and ADF loop, to make the airframe more efficient, but still retaining the original canopy. Also note that she has lost her roll over bar:

And in the third, the fixed 6 piece rear section, has been replaced by the T-6F/SNJ-6 clear blown piece. What is interesting is that she still retains her stock front windscreen:

So there you go, and that is just one aeroplane!

Martin

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

What I like, is at least by looking at the history of the production of variants like the AT-6F and SNJ-6, you know where that clear rear windscreen came from/originated in the racers canopy option.
John Terrell

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

The T-6 is rather like the DC-3 in that they're so old and so many have survived, you're unlikely to find any 2 exactly the same. This is a clue that should tell the world that this was and is a legendary plane. And there's really not many fit into quite that category.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Wow, thanks guys, very interesting. I like the variations and uniqueness, but, it does sound like it can get pretty crazy.

I'm happy with 3. I love the option.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”