Elevator on Takeoff

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Elevator on Takeoff

Post by ClipperLuna »

Question about elevator control on takeoff. Between the time you've started to apply power and the time the control surfaces become effective, is it preferable to hold the stick full back or just partially back, or something else entirely? I thought I read full back somewhere, and that's what the Spitfire's manual says to do* so I figured full back would be OK in the Texan as well. However, I can't find anything in the manual about this and, in several of the videos I've seen of people flying one, it doesn't look like they go full back.

*page 58: "at the beginning of the take off run hold the control column spade grip fully back until the aeroplane has attained sufficient speed for the control surfaces to operate, around 30 m.p.h.; then ease the control column spade grip to or near neutral"

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Elevator on Takeoff

Post by DHenriques_ »

ClipperLuna wrote:Question about elevator control on takeoff. Between the time you've started to apply power and the time the control surfaces become effective, is it preferable to hold the stick full back or just partially back, or something else entirely? I thought I read full back somewhere, and that's what the Spitfire's manual says to do* so I figured full back would be OK in the Texan as well. However, I can't find anything in the manual about this and, in several of the videos I've seen of people flying one, it doesn't look like they go full back.

*page 58: "at the beginning of the take off run hold the control column spade grip fully back until the aeroplane has attained sufficient speed for the control surfaces to operate, around 30 m.p.h.; then ease the control column spade grip to or near neutral"
In the T6 just start with the stick a bit aft of neutral then as speed increases let the tail fly up naturally.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Thank you much, Dudley. Your help is always appreciated.

It's remarkable all the knowledge, information, and experience we get on this forum.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

The difference being because the Spitfire is extremely nose heavy on the ground.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote:The difference being because the Spitfire is extremely nose heavy on the ground.
A Mustang will jump the chocks at 40 inches.
DH

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Killratio wrote:The difference being because the Spitfire is extremely nose heavy on the ground.
Something peculiar I also read in its manual now makes sense. That's why you have to have two people holding the tail down during mag checks, right?
DHenriquesA2A wrote: A Mustang will jump the chocks at 40 inches.
DH
Holy cow that's a lot of power. I imagine it depends on the person, but doesn't it almost seem overwhelming to someone brand-new to the Mustang or Spitfire? I don't have either one yet, but I'm hoping to work myself up to them.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

ClipperLuna wrote:
Something peculiar I also read in its manual now makes sense. That's why you have to have two people holding the tail down during mag checks, right?
DHenriquesA2A wrote: A Mustang will jump the chocks at 40 inches.
DH
Holy cow that's a lot of power. I imagine it depends on the person, but doesn't it almost seem overwhelming to someone brand-new to the Mustang or Spitfire? I don't have either one yet, but I'm hoping to work myself up to them.
Are you talking real life here? If so, it's no big deal really. It's all handled easily during the checkout. Full power with the Spit requires either the tail tied down or people sitting on the tail. (Personally I wouldn't want to be sitting on the tail of a Spit being run up at full power :-)
For the Mustang it's the same as the Spitfire. It's all about intelligent use of power.
Dudley Henriques

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: Are you talking real life here?
Dudley Henriques
Hmm, admittedly I did word my last statement somewhat awkwardly. When I asked if it was overwhelming, I was wondering about someone flying them real-life. When I said I wanted to work up to them, I was referring to the A2A versions. Alas, it's unlikely I'll ever get a go at a real Spit or Mustang. All I've flown real-world are C152s and C172s. But I do try to take my simming seriously and treat the sim plane same as I would the real thing. An odd end result of this is, knowing how powerful something like a Spitfire or Mustang is, I find I'm almost nervous about flying even a simulated one.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

ClipperLuna wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote: Are you talking real life here?
Dudley Henriques
Hmm, admittedly I did word my last statement somewhat awkwardly. When I asked if it was overwhelming, I was wondering about someone flying them real-life. When I said I wanted to work up to them, I was referring to the A2A versions. Alas, it's unlikely I'll ever get a go at a real Spit or Mustang. All I've flown real-world are C152s and C172s. But I do try to take my simming seriously and treat the sim plane same as I would the real thing. An odd end result of this is, knowing how powerful something like a Spitfire or Mustang is, I find I'm almost nervous about flying even a simulated one.
That's ok. I assumed you meant real life and just wanted to know the answer to a question. :-))
DH

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”