Fixes for the P-51H

Lower weight plus greater power = higher performance
new reply
monica6211
Staff Sergeant

Fixes for the P-51H

Post by monica6211 »

I really love the P-51H. I grew up around one of the only two flyable H's, so it is dear to my heart. This Aircraft Factory Mustang is a really nice representation of the "H". But I have been a little disappointed with the product. It has some minor issues which I've noticed. The sounds are very nicely done, but on external views, when viewing from the front right side, at idle the engine mid idle comes through.

The sound issue is from an error in the sound.cfg file. Under the section [COMBUSTION.1.09] the filename should say filename = xwop_p51_rpm1_front
instead of filename = xwop_p51_rpm4. I made this change, and everything sounds fine now.

I have also noticed that the looping sound at high rpm does not loop smoothly. I can tell when the sound starts over again. I haven't had time to fix this looping sound yet.

I noticed the tail wheel seems to always be off the ground. That was an easy fix, just edit the aircraft.cfg, look for the section called "[contact_points]", then go to the first contact point line and change it from this:

point.0 = 1.000, -17.300, 0.000, -4.000, 3000.000, 0.000, 0.550,

to this:

point.0 = 1.000, -17.300, 0.000, -3.870, 3000.000, 0.000, 0.550,

This will put the tail wheel back on the ground as it should.

I also noticed on the top leading edge of the rudder, there seems to be a slight deformation. It appears as a couple of triangles (inside the circle on this pic)
I can't fix this issue myself since it is part of the model.

I know that this is an Aircraft Factory plane, and won't have as much detail in the moving parts and aircraft systems, but I am very disappointed with the animation for the center landing gear doors. They act like they are directly attached to the hydraulic release lever on the floor of the cockpit. As soon as you pull the lever, they are completely down, and when you reset the lever, the doors immediately close. They don't have the realistic drop that I've seen with so many other mustang simulations, and these doors don't seem to require hydraulic pressure to close them back. Very disappointing.

The other thing that I don't think is correct is the propeller. It doesn't change pitch with the controls. The engine will react as if the pitch is changing, but the pitch doesn't change when viewing it. I hope this will be fixed.

Overall I am somewhat satisfied with this plane, but I feel it could have been better. There are other little things that I won't mention because they don't bother me enough, but overall I feel that too many bugs got by the testers for me to be totally happy with this one.
Well, Back to Flying,
Monica

ImageImageImageImageImage

Dave_B
Airman

Re: Fixes for the P-51H

Post by Dave_B »

Thanks for your input Monica. Contact point and sound.cfg duly amended :wink:

ATB
DaveB :)

Griffen
Airman Basic

Post by Griffen »

Does this plane work in P3D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

Monica I have noted the US national insignia is misplaced on the bottom of the aircraft's wings. The "star and bars" should be on the lower side of the right wing, not the left. Likewise, any lettering that is on the lower right wing needs to be transposed to the lower left wing.

I just bought this bird today. On my way to the Mayo Clinic tomorrow for two days of tests so won't be able to take a detailed look at it for a while but will when I return. Will also implement Monica's changes if they haven't already been put into the version I purchased.

monica6211
Staff Sergeant

Post by monica6211 »

Griffen wrote:Does this plane work in P3D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it works perfectly in P3D, which is what I fly the most.
Well, Back to Flying,
Monica

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Thanks Monica.

Cheers Chris

high bird
Airman Basic

Post by high bird »

hi
do the switches and nobs make sounds when they are clicked
thank you

monica6211
Staff Sergeant

Post by monica6211 »

No they don't, unfortunately.
Well, Back to Flying,
Monica

high bird
Airman Basic

Post by high bird »

thank you

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Although I have had this model for a while, I have only just started flying it and only recently noticed those aberrant triangles in the rudder. Also, one of the tail wheel doors do not line up either.

Was there any partial fix to this? I ask because the wheel doors drop and close smoothly on my model in P3D. A fix for the tail mesh should be straight forward for the original modeller in 3DS or the like.

Cheers.
Steve.

monica6211
Staff Sergeant

Post by monica6211 »

bladerunner900 wrote:Although I have had this model for a while, I have only just started flying it and only recently noticed those aberrant triangles in the rudder. Also, one of the tail wheel doors do not line up either.

Was there any partial fix to this? I ask because the wheel doors drop and close smoothly on my model in P3D. A fix for the tail mesh should be straight forward for the original modeller in 3DS or the like.

Cheers.
Steve.

Hello Steve,
I've had this plane since the day it was released, and I fly it a lot. I didn't notice the tail wheel doors not lining up. The triangles I happen to notice when I was doing a walk-around before a flight a few days after I bought it. The other issues with it (the sound, the insignia on the bottom of the wrong wing,...) were brought to my attention by other readers of this post. I was able to fix the sound issue. But the issues with the model I doubt will ever be fixed by the publisher. Once I learn to do repaints, I can fix the issues with a few of these paints, and I will release a few of my own. The prop pitch animation is the only bug in it that really bothers me, but I can live with it. I'm just so glad that someone released a P-51H model, as I grew up around one of the only two H's flyable in the world.
Well, Back to Flying,
Monica

new reply

Return to “P-51H "High Performance Mustang"”