Comanche NAV lights

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Heronjr
Airman First Class

Comanche NAV lights

Post by Heronjr »

Hi,
I've recently purchased the Comanche for P3Dv5 and in the first tests after installation, I noticed that the NAV lights were on just after the battery was turned on, and there is no NAV lights switch. The day after, only the taxi and landing lights worked. The radios were also not working, even with the avionics switch on. After a simulator restart, the radios and all lights except NAV are working. Any ideas?

I would like to find a manual for the autopilot.

Thanks
Heron
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3
Intel Core i7 10700KF, 3.80GHz
RAM: 32GB
GPU RTX 3060 12GB w/2 Monitors

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Comanche NAV lights

Post by ratty »

The nav and instrument lights are controlled by the black knob between the fuel pump switch and the left landing light switch. When first turned it activates the nav lights, and the instrument lights get brighter the more you turn it. As for the avionics not coming on, you probably ran the battery down. A trip to the hangar will fix that.

I recommend reading the manual thoroughly, because this plane is nothing like the stock FS/P3D stuff.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Heronjr
Airman First Class

Post by Heronjr »

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the support and the manual link. This aircraft was specially purchased for use without GPS, flying in the old way, using VOR and NDB facilities, or simply VFR. The Comanche autopilot is a very interesting piece of technology. If someone knows some LVARs to manage this autopilot it would be very helpful because the AP mode button is small and awkward to click it in a turbulent time.

Regards,
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3

Heronjr
Airman First Class

Post by Heronjr »

Hi,
There is something strange with this airplane. I have installed in my rig from A2A the Bonanza and the C182, and I've never had any problems with them. This Comanche each day presents a different problem. Today, the NAV lights still don't work, although I did as you instructed to use the black switch at the side of the landing lights. The switch turns but anything happens.

Yesterday I made a flight from KMRY to KCIC (without NAV lights) and most things worked till parking at KCIC. But today another problem came. After turning on the engine and avionics, The throttle simply refused to work, staying at 1000 RPM. I gave the plane to the mechanics and got it back "as new". But again, no throttle.

:evil:

Regards,
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Re: the nav lights, check the breaker under the switch panel. As for the throttle I have no idea, unless it could be carb icing, to which this plane is susceptible.

Heronjr
Airman First Class

Post by Heronjr »

Hi,
I guess things are now running as expected. I could find some LVARs for the NAV/Panel lights switch, all of the radio knobs and ALT Hold button, but I'm still testing the triple switch for the gear handling, trying to figure out the best operational option. The Comanche Configurator helped me with the autopilot modes switching, but is not helping with the gear stuff, whatever is the motive.

Anyway, thanks again for your support.

Regards,
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Happy to help. The gear switch has been the subject of disussion in our little multiplayer group. I just found this piece on comanchetchtalk.com in a thread discussing landing gear issues.

"On the gear selector switch "off" position, it is exactly what it says it is. Starting somewhere around '65, all Comanches came with just an up/down two position switch. With the two position switch, you have to pull the breaker, or kill the master to remove all power from the gear system. With the 3 position switch it is as easy as placing the switch to OFF. In the case of having the three position switch, there have been several gear ups caused by people not looking for a green light and just moving the switch from up to the next position down, which unfortunately is off. For that reason, as most GA pilots are used to a two position switch, I have the gear to "off" as part of what I teach as an after takeoff flow if the selection is available. This is a common procedure on many larger aircraft with hydraulic gear, so it is common for many who transition from Large Pipers ( PA23/27,PA31) Boeing types etc. There are other reasons to place it to off, including removing the chance of having an electrical issue develop in the system in flight, but that is a rarity if you maintain the gear and harness properly. Whichever way you choose to operate your aircraft, you can do it that way. The switch is there, and there is no mandate using the off position, for or against."

Interesting, but I doubt it helps with your configuration issue.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”