Comanche 250 Install Issues

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Crosstar21
Airman Basic

Comanche 250 Install Issues

Post by Crosstar21 »

Hi Everyone
I use P3D v5, with current update. My computer runs Windows 10 and has two internal drives, the C drive is a 250gb SSD which I use for the operating system etc, and the D drive is a 4Tb hard disc on which I keep most programmes and data. I already have the A2A C182 installed in a P3D add-ons folder on my D drive, D:\Prepar3d v5 Add-ons\A2A, and an xml file in the One Drive\Documents folder on my C drive, \OneDrive\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A. As far as I can tell, the aircraft is fully functional, and I love it, but that's beside the point.

I bought the Comanche 250 yesterday and tried to install it today, but when I run the installer, it gets to the page giving the location where the installation is to take place, but it doesn't give the option to change this. I also downloaded the P40, the installer of which gives the same result. The installer says "This program has detected that you already have at least one A2A Simulations add-on installed in the folder below. The A2A Comanche 250 for Prepar3D v5 must be installed in the same location." This message lists the location as C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A. However this is wrong. That is the location of the xml file not the aircraft files.

The message goes on to say "If you wish to change this folder, please uninstall these other A2A add-ons, remove any left over files, then run and exit Prepar3D v5.

Does that mean I have to completely remove the C182, and the folder with the xml file in it (or move it to a different location) then try and install the C182, Comanche 250 and the P40, then replace the xml in the original location?

Or can I by-pass this procedure by just moving the folder containing the current xml, or at least the contents, then move it back after installing the three aircraft.

I'm a bit mystified as to why I can't just install any additional A2A aircraft into my current add-ons folder on my D drive.

Look forward to your reply
Graham

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Comanche 250 Install Issues

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Graham and welcome to the A2A forums.

Because of the way the Accu-Sim add-ons are designed to use 'core' files, they can't be installed in different directories but rather all the aircraft for any one sim platform have to be installed in the same location. This was standard behaviour in FSX, but because P3D allows users more flexibility about where individual add-ons can be installed, we've had to use the method you found to prevent customers installing different Accu-Sim planes in different folders.

In your case, do I understand correctly that you manually modified your C182 installation (or used a utility to do this) so that only the "add-on.xml" file is located in the original file location you choose when using the C182 installer, but it now contains absolute file paths to the installed folders (e.g. "A2A", "Effects", "Fonts" etc.) which have been moved to your "D:\Prepar3d v5 Add-ons" directory?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Crosstar21
Airman Basic

Post by Crosstar21 »

Hi Nick

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, that's about right. I think the C182 installer also placed an xml in the root folder, which I have called A2A, in location D:\Prepar3d v5 Add-ons\A2A. I'm not sure why I didn't use that, but whatever the case I made a separate xml placed in the add-ons folder in C:\Users\graha\OneDrive\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A pointing at the location on D:

In D:\Prepar3d v5 Add-ons\A2A I have A2A, Effects, fonts, gauges, scripts and simobjects folders. I've been doing it this way for a bit, because when I add another aircraft from the same developer, it goes straight into their root folder, and I don't have to modify the xml, unless it has additional folders. I used to make separate root folders for each aircraft, but then the xml got really long and complicated.

Look forward to receiving any suggestions you might have.

Cheers
Graham

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the clarification Graham.

Probably the simplest approach to install your Comanche and P-40 in your "D:\Prepar3d v5 Add-ons" directory is the following.
  1. Move the "C:\Users\graha\OneDrive\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A" folder which contains the xml file to a different, temporary location.
  2. Launch P3Dv5 which will allow the sim to refresh its add-ons.cfg files, and then close the program.
  3. Run the installer for either the Comanche or the P-40 and you should now be able to pick the install location at will.
  4. Now you can point the installer to your "D:\Prepar3d v5 Add-ons\A2A" directory and it should just install the files alongside your existing aircraft. A new copy of the add-on.xml file should be created, with a corresponding entry in P3D's add-ons.cfg file. The add-on.xml file will sit inside "D:\Prepar3d v5 Add-ons\A2A" and is just for A2A aircraft, you won't need to modify it.
  5. Repeat for the second aircraft and you should find that installation is now locked to the new, correct location.
  6. Launch the sim and confirm all A2A aircraft are present and correct. If they are, you can delete the folder you moved in step 1.
This method should work fine unless any other utilities you're using have modified P3D's install logic somehow, but please let us know if you have any problems.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Crosstar21
Airman Basic

Post by Crosstar21 »

Many thanks Nick. That solved it. Perfect. All installed and functioning normally.

Graham

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome Graham and glad to hear you're sorted - thanks for posting back with the update.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”