Unable to engage autopilot.

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
BostonJeremy77
Airman First Class

Unable to engage autopilot.

Post by BostonJeremy77 »

Hi all. I hope I am making a post in the correct section.

I seem to be unable to activate the alt hold. I have the master switch on, and the RDY light is lit. After which, I press the Altitude button (either on the yoke or on the panel, they ARE the same thing, right?)... and nothing happens. The aircraft is trimmed and straight and level. I tried using mouse scroll wheel, tried clicking the left button... Nothing. I am a little stumped, to be honest. Any insight or ideas?
Regards,

Jeremy Smirnov, M.D.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Unable to engage autopilot.

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jeremy,

Yep, you've posted in exactly the right place. The little detail you're missing is that for the S-TEC Model 30, a lateral mode must be engaged before you engage ALT hold. To engage the autopilot into lateral mode, press the "push | hold" button at top left. Subsequent presses of this button will cycle between the different lateral modes. Once one of these modes is engaged (and the corresponding yellow lamp is illuminated) pressing the "ALT" button on the yoke will engage altitude hold mode.

As well as using mouse clicks in the virtual cockpit, you can assign these autopilot buttons to hardware/keyboard commands using the Comanche Input Configurator (available from the Windows start menu).

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

BostonJeremy77
Airman First Class

Post by BostonJeremy77 »

Nick - A2A wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 19:39 Hi Jeremy,

Yep, you've posted in exactly the right place. The little detail you're missing is that for the S-TEC Model 30, a lateral mode must be engaged before you engage ALT hold. To engage the autopilot into lateral mode, press the "push | hold" button at top left. Subsequent presses of this button will cycle between the different lateral modes. Once one of these modes is engaged (and the corresponding yellow lamp is illuminated) pressing the "ALT" button on the yoke will engage altitude hold mode.

As well as using mouse clicks in the virtual cockpit, you can assign these autopilot buttons to hardware/keyboard commands using the Comanche Input Configurator (available from the Windows start menu).

Thanks,
Nick
Nick, you are the best. Thank you so much. You guys rock. I apologize for an amateur question. 😉
Regards,

Jeremy Smirnov, M.D.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome Jeremy and no apology necessary - these sorts of questions are exactly what the forum is for. :)

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

BostonJeremy77
Airman First Class

Post by BostonJeremy77 »

Nick - A2A wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 03:27 You're welcome Jeremy and no apology necessary - these sorts of questions are exactly what the forum is for. :)

Cheers,
Nick
Nick, just flew my first successful flight with Autopilot on this into Warsaw at night. It was SO FUN! I actually really dig it now! It's an autopilot and will get its job done, but it's a GREAT trimming guide for me. When I was hand-flying it, it took me a lot longer to trim the aircraft properly, and this little thing helps so much! I love it. I believe the Cherokee uses it too, right? I think I may have to get that one next. I am addicted to A2A aircraft.
Regards,

Jeremy Smirnov, M.D.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jeremy,

Great to hear that you're enjoying the Comanche and your new Accu-Sim planes so much. The S-TEC Model 30 is a great little autopilot isn't it, and one which requires enough fiddling to keep things interesting which is a benefit in the sim at any rate. As you say, it's the same model fitted in the Accu-Sim Cherokee.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

BostonJeremy77
Airman First Class

Post by BostonJeremy77 »

Nick - A2A wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 13:51 Hi Jeremy,

Great to hear that you're enjoying the Comanche and your new Accu-Sim planes so much. The S-TEC Model 30 is a great little autopilot isn't it, and one which requires enough fiddling to keep things interesting which is a benefit in the sim at any rate. As you say, it's the same model fitted in the Accu-Sim Cherokee.

All the best,
Nick
I think that is the fun of flying GA aircraft. If I want to sit and watch the plane fly itself after clicking a few buttons, I’d be flying around in a bloody Airbus. 😉 Not that there is anything wrong with Airbus, and I do fly it from time to time in MSFS (as a new P3D user, I haven’t gotten my hands on the FSLabs Airbus quite yet), but flying GA is a lot more fun to me. And these machines you guys made with such love and attention to detail make me appreciate it all the more. Cheers!
Regards,

Jeremy Smirnov, M.D.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”