Takeoff/Neutral Trim?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
P72endragon
Airman

Takeoff/Neutral Trim?

Post by P72endragon »

I've been trying to get the hang of the Comanche 250 recently. One area I've been struggling a bit with is controlling the takeoff. Following the built-in checklist, setting the trim to the "Neutral" position, as soon as the speed gets to 85, it wants to leave the ground like a rocket! There's no question of needing to apply any back pressure - unless I apply lots of forward pressure, it just goes into a steep climb until it stalls. It pretty much looks like the picture in this thread (except I keep the flaps up)!

The only way I've found to get anything like a controlled takeoff is by setting the trim down a full mark (according to the overhead trim control).

Apart from scenery, I don't have any other add-ons installed. My joystick y-axis is showing centered in Windows, so I don't think there's any input from there

Is this normal/expected?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Takeoff/Neutral Trim?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello P72endragon and welcome,

No, the behaviour you describe certainly isn't normal: positive back stick pressure should be required to get the Comanche flying with neutral trim at the speed you describe, even if you're lightly laden.

So that we can help you troubleshoot the problem, please can you let us know which host sim you're using? Also, what sort of control hardware are you using for trim: is it just joystick buttons and are you using any apps like FSUIPC to program inputs?

Finally, please can you let us know which aircraft loads with the default flight when you launch FSX/P3D?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

P72endragon
Airman

Post by P72endragon »

Hi,

I'm running FSX Steam Edition. I'm using the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar and I've mapped the ANT rotary on the throttle to elevator trim in the A2A Comanche Input Configurator. I'm not using any other software for controls.

The default flight in FSX when I go to Free Flight is just the standard default: AirCreation Trike Ultralight at Friday Harbor with the fair weather theme. I always change this to the A2A Comanche at whatever airport before hitting "Fly Now". I get this with the Fair Weather theme and I have no other weather software.

Thanks,
Paul

P72endragon
Airman

Post by P72endragon »

I've taken a couple of screenshots showing the position of the elevator when my joystick is in it's central position and another angle showing the elevator trim tab is pointed slightly up when the trim control is at the "Neutral" setting. One other thing I've just realised in addition to my last post, I am on the beta track of FSX:SE (the one they released recently to gather information for the new version they're working on).

Is it worth me doing a clean install of the non-beta version?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the additional info Paul.

I'd be surprised if the FSX-SE beta build would cause any issues, but I can't be 100% certain. However, before you consider reverting to the non-beta version, there's few other things you can try.
  1. Download and run the Accu-Sim update from here if you haven't already done so.
  2. Remove the axis mapping for elevator trim in the input configurator, and just try with key/button press inputs.
  3. Back-up and then delete the contents of the following folder in case the .dat file which records the Comanche's status has become corrupted: "Documents\A2A\FSX\Comanche250".
Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

P72endragon
Airman

Post by P72endragon »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestions - unfortuantely they haven't helped.

Thanks,
Paul

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Paul,

Based on the info you posted above, I just tried updating my own copy of FSX-SE to the beta version and to my surprise was able to reproduce the issue you describe. Then I reverted back to the stable version and the issue was resolved. There doesn't seem to be anything obvious in the beta change log to account for this behaviour although "impression fixes when converting knots to meters per second" could have something to do with it.

Please can you try the same. There's no need to do a clean reinstall FSX-SE, just go to its "properties" page in the Steam client and on the "betas" tab select "none - opt out of all beta programs" and there should be a small download of a few MBs.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

P72endragon
Airman

Post by P72endragon »

Ah ha! Looks like that's fixed it :)

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated,
Paul

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Paul,

You're welcome and thanks for the update. Looks like we may have to keep more of any eye on the FSX-SE beta branch.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”