Unhandled exception P3Dv4

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
bobbykins
Airman

Unhandled exception P3Dv4

Post by bobbykins »

Hi all--- yes I know that this has been "topic"- ed many times in this and other connected forums, but I hope that you will bear with me.
If I have missed a post anywhere that you think may be the answer and point me to it I apologies in advance
I have recently moved with a new dedicared computer and clean installs, to W10, P3Dv4 from FSX and don't regret it at all, apart from having to lose my A2A planes but I have repurchased the Commanche,others to follow as funds permit and the shimmering which I will have to live with it seems. Yep, spent half a day reading posts and playing with no noticeable difference
I downloaded the Commanche, set up some of the command buttons in P3Dv4 and flew it for over an hour with no probs ( except getting the Saitek TPM Yoke and pitch and pedals to work but solved ,I think by downloading the new "drivers" , (Panel Software and Plug in from the Logitech web). Good, says me, now I will go into the configuration panel and allocate a few more.
And lol, this is where I get the "unhandled exception....M S Direct X. Direct input. V 1.0.2902.2 Culture=neutral. Now I have looked on the sticky post here (and many places elsewhere) and the "fix" from the Gurus is to download the SDK from a web link, which when clicked on now says that this programme is not available. (need updating? )
But no matter, I already have it (?) in the Programme Files - L.M. - P3Dv4SDK 4.1.7.22841 and open and -sim connect and lib, and in LM....\redist\....FSX\retail\lib.
But in Documents-P3Dv4 Sim Connect - config setting and open in notepad , it it says the SimConnect level=off .
So is this correct and the SimConnecrt IS installed and working ,as indicated by that I can fly the Commanche with the other Saitek gear working and engage Plan G?
And is this connected to the only other problem remaining, I cannot get the radio panel to engage with either the default Maule nor the Commanche although the unit connects and lights up on the test page. When I go to the Plug in and open it it only has the Gauges (all there) ...SimX.application. which when I try to open as admin to run nothing seems to happen.
I feel as if I am missing something simple, e.g should I be running P3D in the Direct Input mode.
I hope and I will have not to reinstall the Commanche nor the P3Dv4 stuff.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Bobby

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Unhandled exception P3Dv4

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Bobby,

Yes, the unhandled exception error when opening the configurator is likely a result of the legacy FSX-SP2-XPACK version of SimConnect not being installed.

The default location for the file is: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib\SimConnect.msi.

I've borrowed the image below from from forum member "Poppet", but this is what you should be doing to install SimConnect...

Thanks,
Nick

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi --thanks for the prompt reply but I forgot to tell you that I already found this, perhaps I was not clear in my original post, but when I right clicked on it and run as Admin, all I got was quick flash of something so quick I could not recognise it let alone read it, on the screen and nothing seemed to ha, so I assumed that it had already been executed.
So, what to do next? What did I do wrong? What should i have seen to do and if it "did it" where would I find the outcome?
Is there something corrupt here that is not allowing me to do it?

What I find puzzling is that all the other things that appear to rely on this SimConnect appear to work (TPM etc and Plan G ) and the Commanche flies well.
Would you think likely if I could get it to run , this might solve the radio panels?
I have done a bit more on this. If I go into Logitech ...flight panels it gives me 3 graphic representations of the panels and if I click on the radio icon the test page comes up and tick the LED square I get stable numbers (all 88's) on the unit but cannot get it to work in the Sim. But, I can see the knob and switch changing on the test page
When I launch the troubleshoot test programme it says that "LogiflightSimX is requesting your permission" For what ? I am already running things as Administrator.
AAARGGHHHH.
Any further advice is most welcome.

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi Nick ---thought I would spend some more time this a.m having walked away last night in frustration, and thanks for the info., but it would seem that we are on the same file path to the SimConnect installer ,my screen picture looks exactly the same as your screen shot .When I hold the mouse over it, it it shows me a banner which says Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v 10.0.61259.0. Is this the right one?
But, when I click on it and click install, I still get a flash but nothing else. When I run the trouble shooter and compatibility test then it comes up with Incompatible programme. Not fixed!!! not compatible with what?
Also, I see an separate SDK folder sitting below the P3Dv4 in the L.M.folder, and it says that its version is 4.1.7.22841. But I am using the P3Dv4 folder for this exercise.
When I load and open the sim/help screen and look at the numbers it says that my P3Dv4 is 4.1.7.22841, the same number as the separate SDK number in the L.M folder but my SimConnect version is 4.1.00. Is this the right number that should be appearing here or is this the incompatibility?
I would like to get this A2A configurator to work but I hope that it does not mean a reinstall of P3D (please not). If I have to reinstall the SDK should I do it off my P3D license or should I do it from the links provided in the A2A forums and which one?
When I was an FSX person with a few of the A2A planes I was a frequent visitor to these forums and was always impressed with the depth of knowledge , expertise and willingness to help.
Any further help would be much appreciated.
bobby

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

bobbykins wrote:When I hold the mouse over it, it it shows me a banner which says Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v 10.0.61259.0. Is this the right one?
Hi Bobby - yes, this is the correct legacy version of SimConnect.
bobbykins wrote:But, when I click on it and click install, I still get a flash but nothing else.
That seems to indicate this version of SimConnect is installed okay. It should also be visible on the Windows add/remove programs screen.
bobbykins wrote:Also, I see an separate SDK folder sitting below the P3Dv4 in the L.M.folder, and it says that its version is 4.1.7.22841. But I am using the P3Dv4 folder for this exercise.
The SDK itself isn't required to use the product so it's not necessary for you to install/reinstall it. (The P3D "software development kit" is aimed at developers, not end users.)

When it comes to launching the A2A input configurator, have you tried right-clicking the icon and selecting "run as administrator"?

Thanks,
Nick

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi Nick --thanks for the info. and yes I can see it in the install /uninstall programmes folder, but only as a 1.74 Mb file but this explains some of my confusion as I was expecting it to come in as the SDK value but, as you have enlightened me, these are 2 different things.
However, I have tried the right click in both the desktop icon and the icon in the A2A sim file, but still get the same Unhandled exceptions notice.
The pilots Manual and the Aircraft configurator icons works fine but when I test the Comanche configurator it tells me that it is an Incompatible programme.
I do notice that when I rt. click on the Icons it also gives me the option to Uninstall . Is that just the icon/configurator panel or will it also uninstall "other" bits? If only the icon/panel, could I uninstall and reinstall it and try again?
As everything (except the radio panel) seems to work on the Comanche then do I really need this configurator as I remember from the FSX , I ran my A2A stuff without a lot of the axis etc. being allocated through here.
It would appear with your input that it is unlikely (?) that this particular problem with the configurator is caused by a SimConnect install error as I think it would show up in other areas such as the Plan g not connecting or working with P3D but it does . Flying out of Welshpool with it all maxed out and with Track IR5 and Plan g I am getting over 90 fps. Flying over central London at 2500 ft in summer conditions. it is still between 30-34.
So, we have not solved the problem, but with the help of your input, my thought is that there does not seem to be a problem with the Simconnect and the Unhandled exceptions is due to something else. If I can live without the configurator and your opinion is that running without it will not cause other problems ,then I should move on. I still need to get the radio panel's lack of connection sorted if it is not related to what I thought was the SDK problem. Over to the Logitech and P3D forums unless you have any words of wisdom on this.
What do you think? I am prepared to fiddle a bit more but I am also conscious of your input time trying to help.
My next purchase will be the Texan, (I did not fly the Cherokee much once I got the Comanche) but as I suspect many others are, I am waiting for the Spit.
bobby

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi --back again with, I suspect, a related point to my unhandled exception thread. Does not seem to matter what I do there it still shows U E. If not relate then can you advise if I need to start a new thread.
I thought that I would let that sit as I did not use Input configurator much in FSX and move forward to getting other things set up.
Having noticed that I had been flying with no GPS and thinking that I had to choose the right one to show any,I go to the 250 Aircraft configurator to choose the default. open as admin, click on the GPS logo, get to the GPS page with the options on .
Default is white with black dot, and the Flight1 and Mindstar ,yellow squares.I click on the Default but nothing happens unlike the others where clicking on them brings up the option in yellow square and changes the Default to a yellow square.
So, I click the default button (white) but it does not change colour but I still click the OK button,(in hope) , get the reload question, ,yes, reloads but no change. No default GPS in the Commanche. Firstly ,am i doing the right process?
I also do not get any GPS in any of the default planes either,including the Bonanza , but I do not know if this is the normal case and is how they are able to be bundled in the freebee lot e.g. light.
Whilst trying to resolve this particular issue on the forums , I came across another test as to whether the SimConnect is properly installed-Shift +F 7, and all shows good in the hanger, as new! So ,I think, I am leaning away from the SimConnect being the major contributor to my probs. But could be wrong.
Is it time to uninstall (just use the uninstall in the programme file?) and reinstall the 250 as a start to see if anything gets better.? If so should I uninstall/reinstall the latest update again?
I have posted on the Logitech forum about the radio panel testing OK on the page tester but not working in the sim, but reading all there I am not that hopeful getting a quick solution!
Bobby

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Bobby - thanks for the added info. I'll have a proper read through your recent posts a bit later, but can you provide two bits of info which may be helpful in troubleshooting:

1. What's your installation path for P3Dv4 itself?
2. What the installation path for your P3D Comanche?

Thanks,
Nick

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi Nick --- thanks for coming back.
Installation path for P3Dv4 is ----C\programme file\P3dv4.
When I open this I get Autogen>weather and lower down in the lesser files, I get a P3d black logo \date modified 05/10/17 an Application of 2868 Kb (?)

For the Comanche
C\downloads \ 4 files -- 2 of A2A update 10/12/17/ zipped and folder and 2 of Accu-Sim P3d Comanche P3D Academic, zipped and a folder. If I open this folder I get 2 Applications ,one for v 1-3 and another for v4.
The install that I have (from the help page in sim ) is V 4.1.7.22841 with a SimConnect number of 4.1.0.0. So I am assuming that I have ended up with the correct install.
However if I go into Prog. files x86 I have a folder in here, co 256 which is a Txt file of 1 Kb which when opened, tells me I have an aborted install of a P3Dv1-3 . Obviously some finger trouble here then at the start!!! Should I just delete this file?
All is run as admin ,including the loading if the sim itself.
Hope this is of some use .
bobby

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the info Bobby.

However, it's not clear from your reply which directory you selected when you installed the A2A Comanche. By default, the installer would have suggested the default "Documents\Prepar3Dv4 add-ons\A2A" folder but I'm wondering if you chose a custom path instead?

Because your installation of Prepar3D is installed within the protected OS folder "C:\Program Files", it's possible that your problem is related to lack of administrator permissions to launch executable files in this location. However, generally right clicking files and selecting "run as administrator" should eliminate these issues, but if your account has limited admin rights, maybe not?

Another possible culprit is antivirus software quarantining some files during installation. Do you use anything like Norton AV or Bitdefender?

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. I'm away from home for a few days, so please forgive any rather slow or sporadic replies. :wink:

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi Nick -no need for apologies I understand that you do have another life outside of all this.
I have not created any special paths ,just pressed the buttons and let it do it's thing.No anti virus only Defender ,which I thought I had turned off.
New computer ,only user ,dedicated to the Sim, all set to run as Admin, even the opening of Central 3 and P3D. Getting paranoid?
Ref pathways I seem to have 2
first is C\Documents\P3Dv4 addons\A2A\A2A\Com250\Tools \ input configurators\right click input config gives U.Exception: rt click Aircraft Config.-default gps does not show it in sim.on restart.

Now in with the Tools folder I get an co250 and an UNWISE (??) application
click on co250 (opens in notepad) I get:

6th line down---\UNWISE.EX
13th line--RegDB Name UninstallString
and much lower down Filecopy......\RXP430 and 530 (are these the default?) followed by Mindstar etc.

Now second pathway is C\Docs\ then gives me not only the P3D addons but also an A2A file folder, following this path:
A2A\FSX ???\Com250\8 x 250 Log.dat files---end
Hope this makes sense to you and is helpful. Are we getting to the 250 reinstall stage and if so do i just uninstall via the programme file or do I have to dig deeper to make sure it is all gone?
bobby

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Right click on the config app and select run as admin?

Also is your windows all updated?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi Lewis --thanks for the input and I have checked to ensure that this is the case, every day. The last one I had was today, to update the printer.
As above to Nick , I am getting paranoid about starting everything by clicking the "run as admin" despite the fact that I think that this is inbuilt into the W10 if you are sole "owner" or you set up a standard account.
Any way, I have not been idle as I now have set up my second monitor, and get the gps to show on the default planes (those that have them,) undock them and transfer them to my 2nd monitor where I can run them alongside my Plan G.
The Comanche works in all other respects, switches switch, and knobs can be twiddled and even the Logitech TPM,trim, pedals and yoke work (which is more than can be said for the darn radios, despite trying the Logitech forum and trawling many many others and joining a host of extremely irate people with the same problem but who also are getting no help from Logitech!!!) And,yep, I do know about Spadnext.
Except for these blinking configurators not configurating or producing a U.Exc.
And flying it even "sans gps" in v4 is sooooo much better on my new rig that I do not think that I will be returning to FSX.
As you can see I have ,with Nick's help, been going places in my rig that I have not ventured into before, having been a strictly plug and play simmer in FSX. But now having seen that the defaults work ,I cannot help thinking that my woes are a result of finger trouble during the install and the possibility of a reinstall looms closer.
But we are not dead yet so I will wait a little longer to see if anyone has a "Eureka" moment
Bobby

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi Nick,Lewis and all-- some more info which may /may not be helpful/meaningful. I suppose if I were more computer literate I would have the answers for the below.(sigh) So apologies.
The install of P3Dv4 was done on 13-01-2018
open lib>managed folder---modified date 13-01-2018 >>SimConnect dll.......date modified 24/5/2017
SimConnect lib....modified date 24/5/17
SimConnect (installer).............Same......

In the Programmes/Uninstall/install ....M.S SimConnect client v 10......61259.....installed on 22-01-2018
Comanche 250 for P3Dv4......................installed on 20-01- 18 ( so I have got the right one)
So, there is a mismatch of install dates . The install of the SimConnect client being done ,I suspect whilst trying to get Plan G and Trackir 5 to work. (my Diary tells me)
Also this is the time that I was trying to finalise and set up the Comanche and trying to run the Sim Connect installer (loaded on 13 -01-18) in the lib file which will not run, the quick flash, because it already sees the one there but that one is incompatible (?) Hence the U Ex (?)
But if the one that is installed in the programme file is the "right number" should not A2A find it, even though it was installed at a different time and place?
So, we seem to have the right aeroplane version, right pathway for P3Dv4 install, the correct "number" for the SimConnect ,although installed on a different date/from place for a different reason ( to sort Plan G), a Simconnect dll that was installed on the same date as the P3Dv4 install, an installer that is unclear in its running, and all of the other things working in the Comanche that (i think ?) needs to access the same SimConnect.
So, if it is thought that the SimConnect is gotten itself in a "muddle " so the configurators don't "see" it would it be possible to only uninstall/reinstall everything SimConnect connected, including the SDK that I do not need, without touching anything else (how/best way?) and see if that works, or just reinstall the Comanche? Or just uninstall the SimConnect that I have in the programmes to see if the installer in the lib file will run.
Beats me and I am afraid that my lack of understanding makes me very nervous of fiddling with things that I do not understand.
Thanking you in advance for your patience.
Bobby

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Bobby - thanks for the added info.

It shouldn't do any harm to uninstall the P3Dv4 SDK.

A couple of other things which you could try are repairing the P3Dv4 installation via the Windows add/remove apps screen, and repairing any SimConnect entries in the same way.

Please can you also just confirm that your user account for Windows has full administrator rights? Apologies if I've missed this info in all the preceding posts.

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”