WOT

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
awash2002
A2A ACE

WOT

Post by awash2002 »

I think from now own I'm going to fly the Comanche at wide open throttle and 2400 rpm on the prop

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: WOT

Post by Hook »

If you're running full throttle you'll need to run full rich mixture. Anything over 75% requires full rich. Of course if you're high enough that you can't get 75% power it is permissible to lean the engine.

Hook

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

My typical cruise altitude East Bound is 7000 feet and West Bound is 8000 feet At 2400 prop I got 22.8" which is what the book says for 75% only gave me at 14gph Best economy 162kts True

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

When I did my sim trip from California to Alaska in A2A Comanche, on occasions I ran at full throttle, flying altitudes at around 4000...5000 ft. Leaning some, you do get very impressive speeds. Though not at all economical. Such a racer. :)

I recon that in real life I would have been bouncing around rather uncomfortably, though...

With wide-open throttle at relatively low altitudes, one can utilize "climb leaning" methods. There are several variations of these, but what appeals to me goes as follows. Take off with all the levers forward as you are supposed to. Establish your climb speed, and mark your EGT (it should have been stabilized in the few minutes so far into the flight). As you climb, the air gets less dense. By 3500 ft you have already lost 10 % of the air density. So, your mixture creeps richer. Thus, your EGT tends to come lower. You simply lean to keep the EGT on the mark to keep approximately constant mixture.

Some engines do have their full-rich, full-throttle mixtures at very rich. With those you'd probably want to back off a little bit more with the mixture, essentially keeping the EGT just a tad on the hot side of the mark you put there.

-Esa

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I'm about to fly out to California in the Comanche with no tip tanks picking 2 to 2.5 hour legs

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”