propeller type and performance

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

propeller type and performance

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

are there any differences between the two available propellers performance wise? I'm going to use the MT composite propeller. But does it meet the performance data given in the manual or are they for the McCauley?

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: propeller type and performance

Post by Scott - A2A »

Zache,

Good question. The MT and the McCaulley props are almost identical in performance until 2,400 RPM. That's when the MT just moves ahead. I think we measured somewhere around 200ft/min greater climb rate with the MT when at max 2575 RPM. We attributed this to the scimitar blade design and lower drag on the tips.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Hi Scott,

good answer - as always! :)

Thanks a lot,
Zacke

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Hello again,

are these performance and wear differences simulated or is it just the difference with the vibration? Background: I'm used to have the MT Propeller because it looks much more modern. But I'm going to use a new repaint for my Comanche with a quite old style colour scheme and the MT doesn't seem to fit optically here.

Thanks in advance,
Zacke
Last edited by Zacke on 30 Jan 2022, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

That's a good question Zach, we don't wear the internal engine parts more based on vibrations but perhaps we should. We had a McCaulley aluminum prop on our Comanche 250 and later replaced it with an MT wood / composite and the difference in vibration was big. Roughly 1/2 the vibration intensity. And it makes sense that the crankshaft bearings would last longer with less vibration, along with many other parts that are sensitive to it. We will add this to the core physics engine for a future update, thanks for the post.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Thanks, Scott!

Zacke

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”