Comanche elevator forces

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
aignatenko
Airman Basic

Comanche elevator forces

Post by aignatenko »

Hi!

I'm now tuning my FFB Yoke to match expected behaviour for Comanche.
I didn't fly Comanche in reality, so I'd like to ask a question here.

How Comanche's movable stabilator behaves on ground with engines turned off and yoke unlocked? Are there any forces resulting in yoke movement backwards or forwards? Or is it balanced, so the yoke remains still at any position? Also, does trim wheel rotation on the ground influence the forces on the yoke on the standing aircraft?

Thanks!
--
Alexey

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Comanche elevator forces

Post by AKar »

I've not seen Comanche up close and personal in real life, but the stabilator appears to be similar in idea it is in Cherokees and its descendants. In that case it would be statically balanced, and would remain in whatever position you leave it, and would move with little effort in either direction. That is, you don't need to lift it by muscle.

The trim is aerodynamic, and therefore has no effect on the stabilator control force at rest.

-Esa

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

aignatenko wrote:Hi!

I'm now tuning my FFB Yoke to match expected behaviour for Comanche.
I didn't fly Comanche in reality, so I'd like to ask a question here.

How Comanche's movable stabilator behaves on ground with engines turned off and yoke unlocked? Are there any forces resulting in yoke movement backwards or forwards? Or is it balanced, so the yoke remains still at any position? Also, does trim wheel rotation on the ground influence the forces on the yoke on the standing aircraft?

Thanks!
Hi Folks,

I fly a Beech with a stabilator - at rest - with engine off - the yoke is fully forward - resting on the stops - if you pulled the yoke back and let go it would slam back into the stops hard... Once the engine is running - the prop wash moves it to a more neutral position...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aignatenko
Airman Basic

Post by aignatenko »

Thanks!
However, the answers are quite opposite :)
--
Alexey

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

What I'm saying is that all the stabilators of the Pipers I know of are statically balanced so that they don't fall trailing edge down when released but remain where left. Comanche is not one of those I know, but it is similar - though not the same - to the Cherokees and ones that inherit its stabilator design: it is made of a single-piece, all-flying tail plane and of a tube that extends forward from it, with a bobweight at the end of it to which the control cables attach.

It would have to be someone who's got a Comanche around him who confirms.

-Esa

aignatenko
Airman Basic

Post by aignatenko »

Thanks Esa! Very clear and helpful explanantion.
--
Alexey

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”