Canyon Run - a nice route recommendation

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Canyon Run - a nice route recommendation

Post by AKar »

Hi all,

A while back I had a project of running A2A Piper Cub up the Columbia River. It was quite a time consuming project, and somehow I never managed to continue it that far with faster planes. Now I'm bringing the Comanche from California all the way up to Alaska, and because the Washington coast seems to be soaked in rain and fog, I decided to turn right instead, and followed the river to Tri-Cities and from there to Lewiston, which is along the Snake River, the largest tributary of the Columbia River.

While the Comanche has the performance to overfly the ranges, I decided to take a low run following the river to Boise, Idaho, through the Hells Canyon. This makes a nice low-level canyon run.

Taking off from the Lewiston airport. It is quite scenic in the simulator, as it overlooks the river on a highish cliff. Just fly there once following the Snake River while flying low eastbound, a great sim location. It was a warm day already, and quickly getting warmer!

Here it begins! I climbed up to 3500 ft, and set the power to moderate 21 inches to keep the speed down a bit due to gusts I expected in the canyon. The outside air temperature was up to 34°C at some points, so I kept an eye on the engine temps. Everything remained cool however.

At first the mountains were lower than my cruise altitude, so I could just loosely follow the river. Still, if that trusty six-can was to quit on me, there were little options other than making a wheels-up landing as close to the shore of the river as possible, attempting to end up in the shallow water. Along the way there are some viable places to abort the trip however should there be any signs of trouble.

The low mountains quickly gave room to some higher ones however, and while I utilized the trusty S-TEC for many occasions along the way, I had to make sure I didn't remain head-down for a second too long! I had a rough route set up in the box so that the magenta line would alert me in case I made any gross navigation errors, like took a wrong turn or something!

I kept my riverside landing light on to be as visible as possible to the other canyon runners. (As if there were any in the sim!)

Somehow the scenery reminds me of Half-Life (the great original setup, that is). That's Hells Canyon Dam down there. While their environmental effects are obviously very unfortunate, I must say that dams make some of the most impressive man-made structures. One really feels very small when standing on some of these things. The Hells Canyon Dam is 100 meters (330 ft) high, and its power plant generates up to some 391 MW of power, with an annual energy production of some 2051 GWh.

Further down the road, the river that is, there lies Oxbow airstrip. That would make an interesting place to visit, in the sim they would surely allow me to disregard the yellow X's.

The bend that followed took me by surprise, so I missed the Oxbow dam, overflying the town instead. Seems like a nice, isolated little town.

The places got more roomy again after that. Here I'm passing Brownlee Dam. It is a 128 m high (420 ft) earth fill dam that produces up to 585.4 MW of hydroelectric power, and some 2407 GWh of energy annually.

Following the widening canyon, I flew out from the mountains over flat ground, and loosely followed the river and the Interstate 84 to Nampa Municipal Airport, because I wanted to avoid the busy Boise Air Terminal. Even here, I took a wide turn over the fields because of this guy, who apparently had quite a busy schedule. As I wasn't that busy, I let him to land first, and followed him in soon after!

When waiting my turn, I had a nice view of the Moon.

And finally down! Now the plane will have a week or two of well-deserved rest before I take her all the way along the river to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone before returning to the coast while continuing towards Alaska.

The Google Earth track file of the flight is here, if interested. The rivers make a great VFR routes to follow, especially in case there is some high ground around because if you know the elevation of the river at around the starting point and around the destination, you know for sure that there is a route along the river that will remain lower all the way than the elevation of the higher one of those!

-Esa

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Re: Canyon Run - a nice route recommendation

Post by SkipperMac »

Good trip, nicely documented. I have thought about doing a Columbia River run before, but never gotten around to it. Maybe the Comanche will finally inspire me. Mine is currently sitting at Grand Canyon, hoping to break some flight rules and drop down into the canyons tomorrow.
SkipperMac
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

SolRayz
Airman First Class

Post by SolRayz »

Very nice trip...off topic perhaps, but could you explain how you transferred you flight route to Google Earth. Thanks!

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

I love it. Looks like the perfect trip for the PA24...can't wait to fly it. Do you know of any way this could be loaded into FSX as a flight plan? That way I could just follow it on the Comanche Map.

Thanks again.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

AKar wrote: if you know the elevation of the river at around the starting point and around the destination, you know for sure that there is a route along the river that will remain lower all the way than the elevation of the higher one of those!
Nice post - Just be sure to watch out for those bridge things! :wink: Though I never played HL, I did spend (too) much time with HL2 in its day. Hope you've got a crowbar tucked away somewhere in the cockpit! :mrgreen:
SolRayz wrote:...could you explain how you transferred you flight route to Google Earth. Thanks!
Hope Esa won't mind if I refer you to his previous post here: Excellent Freeware Program Recommendation.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Great post. Thanks for the suggestion. Are you using any scenery addons for this?

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Thanks guys,
SolRayz wrote:Very nice trip...off topic perhaps, but could you explain how you transferred you flight route to Google Earth. Thanks!
As Nick already mentioned, I used Tiny Flight Tracker and Viewer applications by Hervé Sors. I discussed it a bit in the post Nick linked. An excellent little program, highly recommended!
triflyman wrote:Do you know of any way this could be loaded into FSX as a flight plan?
Not sure of any direct ways - or even manual methods to set it up accurately, but if it is of any help, what I had in the box was KLWS (Lewiston) → D69 (Rogersburg) → OR12 (Oxbow) → HOVEL → ONO (Ontario, 305.0) → KMAN (Nampa Municipal Airport, to my surprise it had a different designator in the sim which I don't recall). That gives an approximate routing to follow, though the river deviates from it quite a bit on few occasions. Nevertheless, the route turned out to be very easy to navigate, just about the only place where a bit of attention is needed is where one can turn to follow Imnaha River by mistake.

BTW, a tip for those having GTN series in use: disable the TAWS before takeoff! It didn't quite understand what I was doing, so I took the trouble to navigate the menus to disable it while negotiating some cliffs...

Nick M wrote:Just be sure to watch out for those bridge things! :wink: Though I never played HL, I did spend (too) much time with HL2 in its day. Hope you've got a crowbar tucked away somewhere in the cockpit! :mrgreen:
Yep, it's worth checking out the VFR map for any cautions regarding bridges, power lines and other cable runs when following rivers. :) Re. HL, there is a great re-make of the original, with updated graphics and design. Note that the original, unfinished version is available for free, while the paid early access is for the 'completed' version, whenever that might be. And who wouldn't pack a crowbar in his baggage compartment!? It's like leaving without a towel. :mrgreen:
Dogsbody55 wrote:Are you using any scenery addons for this?
That route would be within Orbx CRM region, though except some points of interest along the way, likely the route is pretty much the same with any decent terrain mesh. I think even the default is quite good in US.

-Esa

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

AKar wrote:Re. HL, there is a great re-make of the original, with updated graphics and design. Note that the original, unfinished version is available for free, while the paid early access is for the 'completed' version, whenever that might be.
Thanks for the tip. It's been a while since I played any FPS type games, though I did purchase Far Cry 4 as part of the recent Steam sale - haven't even got round to downloading it yet. I did tinker around with Besiege for a while recently, but somehow FSX keeps drawing me back. :)

Anyway, not to get too off-topic, I've also been spending some time in the virtual Rockies since getting the Orbx scenery. KJAC is a good base for some exploring and the high altitude ops make for a nice change for me. Never did get any response from the Orbx folks about all the superfluous marker beacons, but at least CRM doesn't seem to suffer the issue.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

Great...thanks...can't wait to try it out.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Cracking shots, looks like a fun route to fly for sure, noted down for future adventures 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”