Keyboard commands for fuel selectors and DME

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
[email protected]
Airman

Keyboard commands for fuel selectors and DME

Post by [email protected] »

Hi,
Enjoying flying the Piper Comanche 250 aircraft model using the A2A ACCU-SIM simulator software, I have started to design and to build a hardware cockpit panel with some pushbuttons, switches and incremental encoders.
I have already assigned a lot of cockpit functions to keyboard buttons using the FSX, the FSUIPC (paid version) software and the A2A configurator but I was not able to assign and operate the following items. Your help or advice to solve this issue would be very much appreciated.
1. Assignment of fuel selector position to keyboard keys:
• Left Main Tank SELECT
• Left Tip Tank SELECT
• Left Tank OFF
• Right Main Tank SELECT
• Right Tip Tank SELECT
• Right Tank OFF
The keyboard functions will be assigned to two 3-posion switches by an “Arcaze” USB module in a second step.

2. DME Mode Selection to keyboard keys:
• FRQ Frequency
• DST Distance (NM)
• GS Ground Speed (Kts)
• TTS Time To Station (MIN)
• HLD Hold Function from TTS Position (NM + HLD)
• HLD FRG Hold Function from Frequency Position (HLD)
The keyboard functions will be assigned to a 6-posion switches by an “Arcaze” USB module in a second step.

Unfortunately, I am not yet familiar with L:Vars or with MACROS files. A detailed advise would be required if those procedures would be required. An amendment of the Airplane Input Configurator List would be the most comfortable solution.
Thank you for your advice and support again.
Kind regards
Hans

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Keyboard commands for fuel selectors and DME

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Hans,

If you're building a hardware cockpit, getting familiar with how to use your paid copy of FSUIPC to create simple text macros using the various L:Vars would be a useful skill. However, an alternative would be to use the free 'LINDA' software instead: this provided a more advanced user interface for FSUIPC and there are predefined modules for various add-on aircraft including one for our Comanche. More info on LINDA can be found here on the Avsim forums.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/424-linda/

If you'd like to try creating text macros instead, there's already quite a bit on info on our forums. For some advice specific to the Comanche fuel selectors, please see this topic and be sure to check out the other posts I linked within.

It's probably best to start with the fuel selector and see which method you're most comfortable with (LINDA or manual text macros) before moving on to the DME mode selector.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

[email protected]
Airman

Hi Nick,
Thank you for your friendly response with reference to the detailed information. I will review this information as soon as possible and report when I was successful to solve the fuel selector issue.
Kind regards,
Hans

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome Hans. Yes, please let us know how you get on and if you need any more help.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

[email protected]
Airman

Hi Nick,
I had success in assigning fuel selector positions to keyboard keys. First I downloaded “LINDA” software but – after review – I than decided to create a “MACRO-file” and put it in the FSX/modules folder. I used the following variables text:

[MACROS]
1=L:FSelComancheLeftState=SET
2=L:FSelComancheRightState=SET

I selected for both variables the following values in the “parameter” box:
• 0 for tanks “OFF”
• 1 for tip tanks “ON”
• 2 for main tanks “ON”
I assigned keyboard buttons to all 6 cases using FSUIPC software and could control the fuel selectors by means of my keyboard as wanted.

I would be happy if you now provide me with further information to control the DME Mode Selector knop with keyboard keys too.
Many thanks,
Hans

[email protected]
Airman

Hi Nick, I hope you feel well. Did you receive my last message? Kind Regards, Hans

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Hans,

Sorry for the slow reply. Have you tried using the L:Vars listed in the PDF document linked here?

NARCO ADF 841 TSO unit:
L:AdfOnOffKnob (bool)
L:AdfFrqButton (bool, freq. transfer button)
L:AdfModeSelectSwitch (enum)
L:AdfFreqOuterKnob (percent, range: 0 – 100)
L:AdfFreqInnerKnob (percent, range: 0 – 10)

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

[email protected]
Airman

Hi Nick,
Thank you for your reply. I have reviewed the “L:Vars-List” provided with your link before, but I have found just one L:Var dealing with the “NARCO NCS812 TSO Com1/Nav1/DME” unit. I am not sure what the command “ L:DmeFunctionPct,percent “ will do and if I can use it to assign the below DME Mode Selection to keyboard keys as intended:

• FRQ Frequency
• DST Distance (NM)
• GS Ground Speed (Kts)
• TTS Time To Station (MIN)
• HLD Hold Function from TTS Position (NM + HLD)
• HLD FRG Hold Function from Frequency Position (HLD)

I have already assigned keys and switches to control the NAV1/DME, NAV2 and ADF frequencies and the frequency transfer function using the FSUIPC software with success.

Thank you for your support.
Hans

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”