C182 ELT Remote Switch

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Heronjr
Airman First Class

C182 ELT Remote Switch

Post by Heronjr »

Hi,
What for is the C182 ELT Remote Switch?

Thanks
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3
Intel Core i7 10700KF, 3.80GHz
RAM: 32GB
GPU RTX 3060 12GB w/2 Monitors

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: C182 ELT Remote Switch

Post by Oracle427 »

I have never tried clicking on it and I don't believe it is modeled.

ELT stands for Emergency Locator Transmitter

This remote switch allows the pilot or a maintenance facility to turn on the transmitter manually. Normally the unit is armed to turn itself on if a certain amount of G force is detected around the levels experienced in a collision.

A pilot might consider activating the unit before a forced landing to increase the odds of detection, but they run the risk of giving a bad position and being difficult if not impossible to locate if they land even a short distance away in rugged and forested terrain.

There are legacy devices that transit on the guard frequency 121.5 Mhz and modern units that transmit on 406 Mhz.

The legacy units emit a repeating descending wave audio signal from a relatively weak transmitter that gets louder as one gets closer. Specialized search and rescue equipment can find the direction of the signal to home in on it. Nowadays in the US, search and rescue services aren't triggered in response to a legacy ELT going off unless there is some overdue aircraft or other evidence of a crash being reported.

With the modern 406 Mhz units, the aircraft position is detected by a satellite and search and rescue services are dispatched if attempts to get a of the contact person registered for that particular transmitter yield no results. Even a very brief activation of the transmitter can result in detection and a response from search and rescue.

These units are mandatory in the vast majority of aircraft and subject to periodic inspections (24 calendar months) as well as battery life limits in the US.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Heronjr
Airman First Class

Re: C182 ELT Remote Switch

Post by Heronjr »

Oracle,

Thank you. Even Google could not return the subject.
Regards
Heron Domingues, Jr
P3Dv5.4 Academic
MB Gigabyte B460 HD3
Intel Core i7 10700KF, 3.80GHz
RAM: 32GB
GPU RTX 3060 12GB w/2 Monitors

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”