oil temp does not change?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
dommbarr
Airman Basic

oil temp does not change?

Post by dommbarr »

Hello,
Just a question. I have the Accu-sim C182 Skylane (P3D Academic) and I would like to know if the oil temp indication is normal, because whatever the position of the Cowl Flap, 100% or 0% the oil temp does not change? Always 78 ° C :?:
Thanks in advance for the info
Regards
Dom

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: oil temp does not change?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Dom,

If you're in cruise flight, the cowl flaps generally won't be needed for cooling the engine which is why the checklist calls for them to be closed. However, if you're in, say, a sustained high-power climb at comparatively low airspeed, with the cowl flaps closed, you'll see the cylinder head temperature (CHT) gauge start to climb. If the CHT continues to increase and you do nothing to manage the situation, then you should see the oil temperature start to increase a bit too.

However, this will happen at a slower rate than the CHT increase because the oil passes back through its own remote cooler. In fact the oil circulation through the cooler is controlled by a thermostatic valve to try and maintain an optimum oil temperature, which is why it shouldn't vary much during normal operation.

The key message here is that it's CHT that you should be keeping an eye on with regards to use of the cowl flaps, not oil temperature.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

dommbarr
Airman Basic

Post by dommbarr »

Hello Nick,
Thank you for the answer. I have a new question. A2A Cessna C182 is not visible with Windows Explorer in the P3Dv5.1\Airlanes list?? Where is he?
I'm with Windows 10 pro 64
Regards
Dom

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

If you're looking for the installed files Dom, by default they'll be in the "Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A" directory unless you chose a different location during installation.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”