Switches, Throttle, Prop Control, Mixture Control are missing.

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
sage
Airman First Class

Switches, Throttle, Prop Control, Mixture Control are missing.

Post by sage »

I had to reinstall both the C172 and C182 do to problems with my computer.

The 172 had to be installed twice to correct this problem of no switches or controls (throttle, mixture and switches). The C182 still has this problem even after three uninstalls and three installs: switches, throttle, prop and mixture are missing and replaced with black holes.
My platform is P3Dv4.5 with Saitek hardware. Everything else is working normally.

I did not change the location of the installation files.

Thanks, Pat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Switches, Throttle, Prop Control, Mixture Control are missing.

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Pat,

What was the problem that prompted you to reinstall in the first place, and did it involve a complete reinstall of P3Dv4?

Also any modifications to your P3D installation that may be relevent? For example, shader mods such as TomatoShade, PTa etc?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

sage
Airman First Class

Post by sage »

After two months of not using the computer many problems appeared: P3Dv4.5 would flicker or shut down when I selected any aircraft; then I would open it then immediately shut down, then windows would shut down due to fatal error.

I wiped the disk clean and reinstalled windows 10 pro 64bit. Everything went smoothly albeit slowly. Reinstalled P3Dv4.5 but unbeknownst to me, Windows updated the Nvidia Titan Xp driver as well. However, all my aircraft's installations went smoothly, except A2As C172 and C182.

As I previously stated the C172 required to be uninstalled/reinstalled and then the switches, throttle and mixture controls knobs appeared on the screen and are working.

This is not the case of the 182. After repeated uninstalled/reinstalled the switches, throttle, prop and mixture controls are not on the screen just small black holes. The base of the throttle, prop, mixture are visible not the rods or handles. When I move the Saitek controls the plane response; the controls and switches are just not visible.

All the problems I was having are gone and the new Xp Titan driver runs cooler; it's just the switches and controls of the 182 are just not visible on the monitor.

Note: When I installed your two aircraft the updates were also installed. All you files went to the default folders.

"Also any modifications to your P3D installation that may be relevant? For example, shader mods such as TomatoShade, PTa etc?" Nick, I have no idea what these items are, where to find them, and what to do with them if I did.

What is puzzling is why did the reinstall of the 172 clear this problem, but the same procedure did not for the 182?

Thanks, Nick, I hope you can figure this one out as painless as possible. I'm not that good at correcting program glitches.

P.S. I'd send you a picture but don't know how to do.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Sage,

first up I would ask not to reinstall as a first step of troubleshooting, it rarely fixes anything but plasters over issues and so is quite a way down the troubleshooting step by step. The issue you describe sounds like a P3D or even graphic issue so reinstalling the aircraft will probably have little to no affect on it anyway.

Can you please let us know what your system is, exactly which version of P3D you are using (is it all updated itself?) and also how long are you waiting to let everything load in? P3D has a habit of loading in bit by bit so if you are quitting out too early it could be that you are quitting before everything has loaded in.

Can you please also let us know what other addons you are using in the sim?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the info Pat.

Yes, the main time that a reinstall tends to help is if some other software on the PC such as an antivirus engine is blocking, quarantining or deleting part of the installation. Generally though multiple reinstalls won't help at all. Could you just confirm if you have any third-party AV software such as Bitdefender running?

I don't think I've ever heard reports of the vernier control in the VC actually missing so this a new one. One thing you could try is deleting P3D's shader cache so that the sim can rebuild them, To do this, manually delete this directory: "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders"

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. To attach a screenshot, use the "attachments" tab below the main text box when you compose your reply, or alternatively you can share externally-hosted images by following the tips here.
A2A Simulations Inc.

sage
Airman First Class

Post by sage »

Thank you both, Nick and Lewis, for your quick response.

Nick, I tried to find that folder C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Parpar3D v4\Shaders, but it does not exist. There is a folder: C:\Programs Files\Lockheed Martin\ Prepar3D v4\ShadersHLSL. I made a copy of it then deleted it. Restarted my computer, it did not regenerate, and P3Dv4.5 did not open. I reinstalled ShadersHLSL and I'm back to square one.

This computer has no anti-virus and Windows Defender is turned off. I have only aircraft add-ons, nothing else; they all work (except C-182).

The exact version of P3D is: P3D v4.5.14.34698

Lewis, as for cutting it off as P3D downloads, installs and activates, I always wait for a window to say "next" or "finish" before I click to the next step.

I can't get the picture pasted, too complicated. I don't think it would make a difference anyway.

I hope I answered all your questions.

Thanks, Pat

System:
Intel i-8700K
Win 10 Pro
Nvidia Titan Xp
64GB mem
3 monitors 27"

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the info Pat.

The folder will be there, but the "AppData" directory is hidden in Windows, so if your installation is set not to show hidden folders, you'll need to change this. Info on how to do this can be found here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... windows-10

Screenshot 2020-09-25 121108.png
Screenshot 2020-09-25 121108.png (50.23 KiB) Viewed 5811 times

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

sage
Airman First Class

Post by sage »

Thank you Lewis and Nick! Regenerating the Shaders Files fixed the problem of missing switches, flight controls, etc. on the C-182.

I'm looking forward to your new build, the Aerostar. Twin-engines, are my favorite aircraft because I find flying on one engine very challenging. Don't forget to program it so the prop feathers and stops. Also, be sure the aerodynamics are accurate on one engine. Good luck on your new aircraft.

Thanks again for your help.
Pat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome Pat - good to hear the issue is resolved.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”