C182 Sensitivity

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Grégory
Airman Basic

C182 Sensitivity

Post by Grégory »

Hi,

I have the following issue with the C182 :
-The yoke is too sensitive
-Just after the take off the aircraft go directly to the left
I'm cessna pilot and very disappointed regarding the add-on

I use P3D4 version.

Somebody with the same issue fix can share aircraft.cfg flight tuning parameter?

Thank you

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: C182 Sensitivity

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Grégory and welcome to the A2A forums.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with your first impressions of the handling, but sometimes reconciling the feel of the controls in the real thing to those in a desktop PC sim takes a bit of adjustment.

The first questions would have to be what hardware do you use and how are the axes set up in terms of sensitivity and null zone? On the subject of setting up axes in the sim, you might find the info in this pinned topic helpful.

To prevent that yaw and roll to the left, applying additional right rudder as you lift the nose wheel is the key as you may be aware. Most aircraft in FSX/P3D don't really simulate the need to make this control input at all, so it's not unusual to see posts like yours from new customers.

The video below demonstrates this principal so may be worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxt2SzOsAY

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Grégory wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 13:56 I have the following issue with the C182 :
-The yoke is too sensitive
-Just after the take off the aircraft go directly to the left
I'm cessna pilot and very disappointed regarding the add-on
Gregory, your experience is common for real pilots turning to the sim as stick forces on most simulators are too light. In your case, the C182 which has one of the heaviest elevators in GA, this issue is multiplied even further. You have to get into the mindset that, even though your stick is easy to move back, that it's hard and develop a much lighter touch with the stick / yoke. In time your brain will actually compensate and you won't even notice the difference.

As for the takeoff moving to the left, that is because you are creating too much deflection in the sim than you would in the real airplane because of these light forces. You can pull back a sim yoke with your fingers and to equal this level of deflection in your 182 would require two hands, which you would never do.

Next time you take off, let the aircraft reach 80kts and very lightly and slowly pull back on the stick. Let the airplane slowly lift off and you won't get the pull to the left (factor with high AoA and high power).

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Grégory
Airman Basic

Post by Grégory »

Thank you Nick and Scott for your messages,

I solved the yoke sensitivity with a cfg modification : "elevator_effectiveness=1" instead of "2"

Concerning the left turn, I know the helicoid breath, and each time and fly really Cessna 172 I used right rudder. The stranger thing is to turn full right the yoke in order to keep the aircraft in line during take off. Usually you do that with the yoke in the
opposite wind direction.

Grégory

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

As was already mentioned, if you don't try and yank the 182 into the air, but apply just a bit of back pressure along with right rudder as you slowly rotate after hitting around 80, it will track a straight line every time.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Grégory wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 13:39 I solved the yoke sensitivity with a cfg modification : "elevator_effectiveness=1" instead of "2"
It really isn't recommended to edit these entries Grégory because you will reduce your elevator authority, not just its sensitivity.

However, what you could try instead is adjusting the slider at the bottom left of the Shift 3 menu. Its use isn't widely documented, but it's a "simulated elevator force" control and will make the elevator a bit less sensitive at higher airspeeds.

As regards to aileron input when taking off with a crosswind, this should be as normal (up aileron into wind) but I'm not 100% sure I follow your last paragraph above.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

freemind
Airman

Post by freemind »

IRL if you do everything right with the rudder to counteract the p factor as in the video, you see a slight left roll immediately after liftoff due to the torque. But I guess that's too much for the flight model of P3D.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”