c182 won't load

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: c182 won't load

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Steve,

as I mentioned, what you are seeing is in part due to the clone rather than a fresh install on a new system. You'll have files on the system pointing to and calling on parts of the system that doesn't exist.

Did you try a full clean reinstall of FSX, as it sounds like that aspect is broken if you are getting errors upon loading to do with scenery being called that doesn't exist where it is suppose too. The crashing of the A2A Aircraft sounds like a mix of FSX not being correctly updated to SP2 standard and direct X9 not being updated/installed correctly.

Unfortunately both of those can be traced back to that cloning aspect on a changed system. If you are PC literate which I believe from the posts so far that you are then some tweaking will be needed to avoid the windows reinstall. You'll want to clean out DX restart and start from scratch in that area, making sure to install Dx9 + the ones above (each Direct X is independent, most games will run on dx9 - dx11.

You'll need to tweak the system drivers for sure. Going through them removing, cleaning and then reapplying the correct chipset, sound, graphic drivers etc. from the sources online to get the latest for the hardware you use.

For FSX if I am being utterly honest, I would recommend utterly removing it, cleaning up all remaining files for a proper clean up and then installing the steam edition. It is slightly more updated and a lot easier to manage, is a single install and comes with SP1 + 2 + Acceleration.

Guide here for mega clean;
http://c-aviation.net/clean-reinstall-of-fsx/

Sorry I cannot give you a magic button to make this work super quickly, but I hope you find this helpful in getting you back up and running. Always here on the forums, just ask if you need anything further, will do our best to help or point you in the right direction.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Steve Burney
Airman

Post by Steve Burney »

Thank you, Lewis. Since everything else is working perfectly I don't think starting over from a clean hdd is the answer. It looks like it falls back to DirectX, which looks like kind of a pain to reinstall. I've already tried changing the directx version in the registry and updating it, but that didn't work. Also tried reinstalling the latest windows update, no luck there, either. I'll try the mega clean and keep looking for a way to force DirectX to reinstall.

Steve

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Steam edition link I forgot to include in the last post;
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3141 ... m_Edition/

In a sale you can pick it up for just a few dollars, so worth bearing that in mind.

Oh one more thing to check, in your old system did you use any third party GPS that is now not present in your new system?

And for the Direct X9 component, upon installing the 182 did it complete the Dirtect X9 component from MS ok or did it fail this aspect?

thanks,
Lewis

Steve Burney
Airman

Post by Steve Burney »

Still working on it...

I did the fresh install of FSX and A2A. That got rid of the scenery problem. When I installed A2A, the DirectX didn't fail, it just said there was already a higher version installed so it wasn't necessary.

When I first re-installed everything, I forgot about the service packs. At that point, when I selected the 182 it was kind of there in that the interior showed with the pilot, but there was also another pilot in a sitting position, face up, with his feet on the firewall and his head where the prop should be. It even actually flew like this, even though it kept telling me that the engine wasn't started and wouldn't hold altitude. After I installed the service packs, the plane showed up like it should when selected, but it only rotated a few degrees before stopping, and when I hit 'fly now' the sim shut down. This is the same behavior as before the reinstall. Also, when I installed SP2 it did say it was installing Direct X and it neither failed nor gave a message that it didn't install.

Here's something: I just reconnected the old computer to double check on your GPS question (I don't have a 3rd party gps on that one, either, the only thing that comes close is the Garmin GPS simulator, but that's on both machines). Just to see what happened, I started up FSX and selected the 182. It had the same interior only view with the upside down guy on the firewall! I looked in the control panel and SP2 is installed on that pc. Now I remember that I stopped flying the 182 because it stopped working and I never made it a priority to figure out why. I can't tell you exactly what caused it to stop working, though. Like I said, I have about 40 programs on it, but they all seem to work both on the old computer and the new.

Any more ideas no how to get the 182 back in the air? We could work on the old computer first if you think that would help solve the problem. (When I started FSX, though, I remembered why I wanted a newer computer. Man, is that thing slow compared to the new one.)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Steve,

can you please let me know what the error log states when the game crashes. How to access Event viewer;
https://windowsinstructed.com/access-wi ... s-windows/

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

Steve Burney
Airman

Post by Steve Burney »

There are a lot of logs on that screen, but I think this may be the one you're looking for:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: API.DLL, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e180d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000529cf
Faulting process id: 0x27a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5174e8ed6c20c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\API.DLL
Report Id: d1fbba40-91d1-44a8-9cb3-aa3825486e6b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm not sure what it means or what to do about it.

Steve

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Steve,

is that the log directly after an FSX crash has occurred?

Some clues, though given its the api crashing I have to repeat again that at a basic level your system is probably broken due to the clone itself;
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/473961-apidll-ctd/

Are you running in dx9 or dx10 mode?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

Steve Burney
Airman

Post by Steve Burney »

Yes, I crashed FSX then refreshed the log. The time of the log entry was the same as the current time when I was working on it. How do I tell if it's DX9 or 10?

Regarding the clone, why is the original not working and hasn't worked since long before I undertook to build a new system? Is there someplace else we can look?

I'll follow the link you included and let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Steve

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Steve,

dx9 or 10 mode is under your settings. Have you configured your FSX settings yet for your new system?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

Steve Burney
Airman

Post by Steve Burney »

The settings I've changed have been to move the sliders all the way to the right now that I have a computer that can handle it. I've also set the realism settings as recommended with the 182 install. I did rename the fsx.cfg to force a rebuild of the file, but it didn't help. I didn't check the settings after I did that, but when I tried to load the 182 I got the same minor rotation, then freeze, followed by a shutdown when I clicked on 'fly now'.

I'm working my way through the document you sent me a link for. I haven't specifically addressed the api.dll because I haven't gotten there in the guide yet, but I did find these 2 entries in the Windows Event Viewer, each of them multiple times:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\A2A_Accusim.DLL". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="67c7c14424d61b5b",type="win32",version="10.0.61259.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_C182\panel\C182.DLL". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="67c7c14424d61b5b",type="win32",version="10.0.61259.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

They were both in the 'error' section. Do you know what they mean and if there is anything I need to do to correct them?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

it sounds like your simconnect isnt installed or is corrupt and so not being correctly found. Have you tried reinstalling simconnect?

If you install simconnect and then restart your system, that would be a good thing to try now given the latest error message being that simconnect at its core is missing.

http://a2asimulations.com/public/downlo ... onnect.msi

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

Steve Burney
Airman

Post by Steve Burney »

Hey Lewis-
Good news! You were right twice. I installed FSX-SE and the 182 worked great. I then came on here to let you know and saw your post from a couple of days ago about simconnect. I don't know how I missed that, but I did. Just for grins I clicked on your simconnect link, and now the old FSX works, too.

All is well now. Thank you so much for your help.

Steve

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes!!!!! whooooop!

Sometimes it can be a pain in the backside, but its a good feeling when its found in the end, even if it is an easy one in the end. Happy flying in the virtual skies, :D :D :D

cheers,
Lewis - A2A

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”