laggy elevator

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
briansommers
Airman First Class

laggy elevator

Post by briansommers »

I just bought it tonight and installed it.
It updated a bunch of stuff so I'm convinced I have the latest verson.

I'm running P3d V4.4 and a payware version of the latest FSUIPC

I have my elevator slope at 0

When I come in to land, I pull back to begin my flare and nothing, no response from the plane, so I pull back a little more, smoothly and then BOOM it grabs and I pop up like a rocket!

This repeats and I don't know what to do or how to make this smooth or what I'm doing wrong.

If anyone could tell me how to set up my elevator for my joystick, that would be great, thanks.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: laggy elevator

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Brian,

If you're seeing unexpected behaviour from the 182, I'd recommend you make a backup of your FSUIPC.ini and then remove it to make sure that any custom profiles etc. aren't exerting any influence on the aircraft.

However, it may just be a case of getting used to the elevator 'feel' of the 182 if you're new to the aircraft. I use a slope of 0 too, but quite a sensitive touch is required to smoothly flare the Skylane. What sort of speed are you at when beginning the flare?

Thanks,
Nick

briansommers
Airman First Class

Post by briansommers »

Around 70 kias

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Brian,

It does sound like you may be carrying a bit much speed and energy when you're flaring. If you could share a video of one of your landings, that would help to give us an idea of where any issues lie. At any rate, you can compare your approach and landing technique with this video I shot in the 182 a couple of years ago. That landing was by no means perfect (the main wheels touch before the stall horn sounds for example) but it does give you an idea of the airspeed and view over the nose that should prevent ballooning.

A2A Cessna 182T landing at Shoreham Airport

If you still suspect an issue with the elevator response, have you tried moving your yoke/joystick fore and aft and checking in the outside view that the control respond rapidly?

Cheers,
Nick

briansommers
Airman First Class

Post by briansommers »

Yes, I've done all of that. I noticed to that it helps to slow down.

One thing I did was to go into the sensitivity in the flightsim and set everything to zero, including null zones etc and run all axis 100% through FSUIPC and that seems to help.

I'm getting better and I probably need good old fashioned practice. It's still rough but not as crazy as it was.

briansommers
Airman First Class

Post by briansommers »

I just now watched your video. Wow that is perfect in my mind.

I see your coming in over the beginning of the runway at close to 60kias

I think I'm coming into hot.
Thanks, this will help.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, sounds like you may just need a bit more practice to nail those landings Brian. :) One tip I found which helped me, is to use the visual reference of the cowling against the far end of the runway. Please see this video by Rob Osborne (Great Ozzie) here for more on this.

Cheers,
Nick

briansommers
Airman First Class

Post by briansommers »

well. now I'm back to giving up.

I have smoothed it out a lot but every time I can duplicate.. There is this tiny little spot in my joystick where the plane is descending or going up and there is this small "catch"

this tiny catch makes the whole thing just impossible to get it down smoothly. Its still jumps on me...just maddening!

I'm contacting A2A through the store. I don't want to post here.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure what you mean by "contacting A2A through the store". This is the technical support forum for the 182, so exactly the right place for us to help you with the product.

I'd really recommend that you rule out any issues within FSUIPC, and just try with the basic controls with full sensitivity and no deadzone. Also, what sort of FPS are you seeing in P3D as poor frame-rates can make a smooth landing much harder to pull off.

Thanks,
Nick

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

This sounds like regular pilot training with respect to Cessna aircraft. Keep practicing is the best suggestion. It would be helpful to see a video. FYI, A2A only provides support via these forums and Nick is one of their employees.

It requires very good hand eye coordination to land a Cessna and you need to be patient in holding the airplane off the runway in the flare. Don't just keep pulling back, you need to pull back as required to hold it off at the same height until the aircraft lands. Every landing is different.

A2A has done a masterful job of replicating the real world behavior of these planes.

Lastly, I would suggest checking your joystick calibration to confirm that there is no signal spike which would indicate the control itself may need repair, replacement.

Regards,

Dave
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

briansommers
Airman First Class

Post by briansommers »

well, not sure what I did but did three touch n goes and all were greasers.

I'm wondering if I wasn't trimmed correctly for landing...it also helps to come in slower than what I think.
The last one I came in over the numbers at around 53kias.
I bought this to use in my "Alaska bush operations." I've been reading that a lot of real-world pilots use these in Alaska.

Car****o aircraft has made me sloppy!

there is a lot going on when landing. I also noticed that it doesn't take much power and that nose comes up fast.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

When I land a 182 IRL and in the sim I am not using any power at all unless I need to correct being low to reach the runway or to gently touch down after ballooning.

The power is at idle all throughout the glidebreak, flare and touchdown. Any power at all will cause the airplane to balloon. It takes very little power to keep the airplane flying in ground effect.

Airspeed for normal landing approach is 65 KIAS. Once you start leveling off over the runway, it really doesn't matter what the speed is. You just need to keep the airplane from touching down until it is done flying.

If landing short field, approach speed is 60KIAS.

Flaps are full in both cases.

briansommers
Airman First Class

Post by briansommers »

yep, that's it.

I was doing some m/p with it on JoinFS with Zoolander64 with Digital Theme Park

problem solved.

I wasn't trimmed for approach. I need to put in a LOT of "up" trim then the landing was much better.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Glad to hear you've cracked it Brian - thanks for staying with it!

And thanks also Dave for chiming in; your contributions here are always much appreciated.

Cheers,
Nick

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Good to hear!

Don't rely on trim to fly the plane. The trim is just there to relieve workload. Generally speaking the trim is set early on final to get your airspeed set for approach. You shouldn't need to touch it again after that.

By the trim you are on short final you should just be focused on using the primary controls.

For what it's worth, the 182 had a very heavy nose. It takes a little muscle to bring it up when compared to the 172. It is very common to find used 182s with firewall damage history from landing with the nose down.

Thanks Nick! :D

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”