Refusal to install as old files exist

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Jonahbird
Airman Basic

Refusal to install as old files exist

Post by Jonahbird »

I have just downloaded the latest version of the C182.
Prior to that my professional friend cleaned the computer for a rebuild. I am now using it only for P3D4. It is all working well.
When I try to install the C182, and try to change the offered drive address, I am told there are some old files present in Drive D. There aren't.
I have thoroughly searched for the folder referred to, and there is no such folder.
What do I do next? My computer man is baffled.

Regards
Frank

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Refusal to install as old files exist

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Frank - welcome to the A2A forums.

Chances are, all you need to do is launch Prepar3D once to refresh its add-ons.cfg files prior to reinstalling the 182. There's a little more info on making a clean installation of there Accu-Sim products for P3Dv4 in this pinned thread.

However, version 4.4 of Prepar3D does have a bug which prevents proper flushing of the add-ons.cfg files when an add-on is uninstalled. The bug is resolved in the recently released v4.5, but if the issue you're describing persists, please can you let us know exactly which version of P3D you have installed.

Thanks,
Nick

Jonahbird
Airman Basic

Post by Jonahbird »

Thank you Nick.

Re-booting made no difference, so I tried the install again. This time I ignored the 'warning' and carried on. It installed and I can fly it.

The mystery now is - where are the files? The folder in drive C has nothing other than a readme in it.

The reason for cleaning and re-programming from Win10-64 upwards was that I couldn't upgrade P3D4 to 4.5. To get going again I had to reinstall P3D4.3. Others are experincing disappointment with 4.5, so for now I am not even trying to install it.

Regards
Frank

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update Frank.

If you didn't select a custom directory during the 182 installation, by default the files will be installed to the "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" directory in the "Documents" folder.

However, if the add-ons.cfg is still telling Prepar3D that there's an A2A aircraft installed, this is where the add-on will be installed. The installer will tell you the exact path of these folders/files when you run it.

If you installed to a custom directory, the add-ons.cfg file which records the installation path can be found in the following folder: "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4".

For an installation to the default "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" folder, a separate add-ons.cfg file is used: "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4".

Unfortunately, the bug which Lockheed Martin introduced with version 4.4 complicates this issue slightly, and I believe the add-ons.cfg file in ProgramData is the only one which is used with v4.4 installed. More info here.

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”