Problem with DME and the FREQ function

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Raller
Airman First Class

Problem with DME and the FREQ function

Post by Raller »

Hello, my problem is:
"The DME in my 182 won't show any distance when in the FREQ mode. I have to move the mode selector to RMT to get a distance readout."

When searching the forum for a solution i noticed, that this issue occurs since 2016. Is there a patch in sight?

Regards
Raller

PS: I ask because the DME is wired (Remote) to NAV1 (the GTN750). And so i can not use the DME with a different frequency!
MSFS2020 Boxed Version (German) | Win 10 Pro | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | RTX 2070 8GB | SSD | T.16000M

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Problem with DME and the FREQ function

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Raller,

The custom coding which was used to model the FREQ mode in the KN 62A is sensitive to how the aircraft is loaded. There's some quite lengthy discussion of issues with FREQ mode in this topic. As Great Ozzie demonstrated in the thread, allowing FSX flight planner to relocate the aircraft is one factor which will cause FREQ mode to be inoperable. I understand that this issue occurs because the FSX/P3D software development kit doesn't allow the full DME functionality to be accessed for each navaid in the sim. The solution in those cases where the range can't be read, would be to revert to the default FSX/P3D remote ('RMT') mode.

In other words, the odd navaid which can't be tuned in 'FREQ' mode is unfortunately a limitation when trying to simulate the DME more accurately than the basic FSX/P3D functionality allows. In other words, this is not really something that can be patched.

However, for the most part, 'FREQ' mode should work as intended.

Thanks,
Nick

Raller
Airman First Class

Post by Raller »

Hello Nick,
thanks for the detailed explanation. The C182 is my favorit A2A airplane and i use it a lot to practise navigation. So it's just a little drop of bitterness that the build in DME has these problems. I will treat it as a kind of dme-malfunction-exercise and go on enjoying to fly this lovely airplane...

Best regards
Raller
MSFS2020 Boxed Version (German) | Win 10 Pro | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | RTX 2070 8GB | SSD | T.16000M

eagle67
Airman

Post by eagle67 »

HI,

But what is strange is that some can get this work when others can`t. I would assume then it may also has
something to do with maybe some addons or am I tottaly worng/lost :-) ?

Brgds
Soren.
Have a nice day and Please Advise,

Brgds
Eagle

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

We reported this issue to Lockheed some time ago.
Michael Krawczyk

DYFLWD
Airman Basic

Post by DYFLWD »

Nick - A2A wrote: 15 Mar 2019, 04:02 Hello Raller,

The custom coding which was used to model the FREQ mode in the KN 62A is sensitive to how the aircraft is loaded. There's some quite lengthy discussion of issues with FREQ mode in this topic. As Great Ozzie demonstrated in the thread, allowing FSX flight planner to relocate the aircraft is one factor which will cause FREQ mode to be inoperable. I understand that this issue occurs because the FSX/P3D software development kit doesn't allow the full DME functionality to be accessed for each navaid in the sim. The solution in those cases where the range can't be read, would be to revert to the default FSX/P3D remote ('RMT') mode.

In other words, the odd navaid which can't be tuned in 'FREQ' mode is unfortunately a limitation when trying to simulate the DME more accurately than the basic FSX/P3D functionality allows. In other words, this is not really something that can be patched.

However, for the most part, 'FREQ' mode should work as intended.

Thanks,
Nick
Bummer

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”