Ground roll friction gone

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Mawingo28
Airman

Ground roll friction gone

Post by Mawingo28 »

Hi, my 182 now has no ground friction at all, where it did before. If I startup on flat grass and idle at 900rpm, with no brakes, the plane starts rolling gently, which shouldn't happen. Take-off rolls are also pretty swift, which messes with my idea of realism for different surfaces. This seems to have happened since I set a left brake failure 2 landings ago, which functioned as expected - a big swing to the right when using both toe brakes. All failures are now cleared and I've also reset failures, so nothing in that dialogue is ticked. But now there's no swing to the right, just no ground friction. I can't even check magnetos without scooting forward.

However, I've just checked the default C172 and it's the same, so now I'm thinking it's an FSX/A2A problem!

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Ground roll friction gone

Post by Nick - A2A »

Mawingo28 wrote:If I startup on flat grass and idle at 900rpm, with no brakes, the plane starts rolling gently, which shouldn't happen.
Mawingo28 wrote:I can't even check magnetos without scooting forward.
Hello - actually this behaviour sounds normal if you don't have brakes applied. Certainly a mag check at 1800 rpm will result in the aircraft moving forward rather quickly without brakes.

When you say "no ground friction", how long does it take the aircraft to stop from say a 40 KIAS taxi on a paved runway if you just kill the mixture but don't use any braking?

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Nick M wrote:...Certainly a mag check at 1800 rpm will result in the aircraft moving forward rather quickly without brakes.
That's actually how a real aircraft would behave too. You can't do the mag check / run up without the brakes set. The plane will roll forward.
Nick M wrote:When you say "no ground friction", how long does it take the aircraft to stop from say a 40 KIAS taxi on a paved runway if you just kill the mixture but don't use any braking?
That's a good idea to test that. I like that idea.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

These aircraft will start rolling and taxi briskly at 900 RPM on asphalt.

I'm not sure why you are rolling in grass at 900 RPM however as I would not expect that. Grass would need a bit more power to get going.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

FSUIPC Dynamic Frictions LUA or Frictions LUA possibly ????????????

I have (and have had) both active for quite some time and love them. You might check your Modules folder in FSX and see if they are active.
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Just to add to the other replies, be careful when using the default failure system as its not 100% compatible with complex simulations such as the Accu-sim range of simulations.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Mawingo28
Airman

Post by Mawingo28 »

Hi and thanks for all the replies. This is definitely a new behaviour, and when I do mag check I have full brakes applied, but have the same rolling effect, even on grass on an incline. Thanks Lewis, I think it is something to do with me having used the default brake failure, which has somehow affected all ground friction. The thing is, how do I get it back? I'm not much of techie or config fiddler, so have barely heard of FSUIPC in the Modules folder. Is it just a question of finding it and opening a dialogue and clicking 'on'?

I'm definitely a 'procedures and reality' virtual flyer, so am finding this ruining the experience.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

I hear you there. I'm also putting much value into the reality factor (which is one of the reason I only fly with these so well created A2A planes anymore). At the start I also felt that it would 'take away' from reality to switch off things such as crash detection etc. but I find that they can make things even more unrealistic at times and A2A is right about the suggestions they give for game settings. You get the better result, experience-wise, that way. =)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Just keep in mind that flight simulator has a bug where the aircraft will very very slowly roll forward when the engine is running even with the parking brakes applied. This happens with every single aircraft and there is no way I am aware of to fix this. The more power the engine is producing, the faster the aircraft will creep forward.

Now A2A adds to this by simulating brake wear. If your brakes are wearing out in A2A accusim aircraft, then you will definitely start rolling forward at a more noticeable pace and this can be fixed by visiting the maintenance hangar.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Mawingo28
Airman

Post by Mawingo28 »

Hi. I'd like to reply to you all, with responses, because I appreciate the time you've put into being a good community member. I think I've fixed my 'no ground friction' problem, but I'm not too sure how! First, I reset defaults for all failures, then I closed the flight and reset the realism settings as per A2A's recommendations. (I had previously reduced the amount of Gyro Drift, as per RealAir's recommendation, and for some reason G-Effects was off, so I turned it back on).

I then had to restart FSX (original version with Acceleration). I still had lots of forward motion and found it very hard to stop the aircraft with full brakes on a hillside! So I took off anyway, heading to my final destination, where I landed and found plenty of traction for my brakes and ground roll as predictable as it should be - so all 'back to normal'.

I am using third-party add-on small airfields from ORBX/Ant's Aussie Airfields and now I'm just wondering: do those guys code in different ground friction factors for various airfields?

I hope you don't think I've been wasting your time on this, but as we know, it's a bit of a minefield tuning FS, and every day's another learning curve.

Thanks.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

yes it could be, when troubleshooting things like this I'd always suggest to revert to the basics/default to narrow down any conflicts or other issues. And yes the ground at airfields can be set to different surface types in FS so it might have been this.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”