Subtle right turn tendency in cruise

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Subtle right turn tendency in cruise

Post by taildraggin68 »

Starting this thread as this topic has been just comments in other topic threads.

In cruise configuration, with one pilot, 10 percent more fuel in left tank, there is an ever so slight, but noticeable creep to the right.

No weather add ons and FSX with UTX USA

Dooga
Staff Sergeant

Re: Subtle right turn tendency in cruise

Post by Dooga »

Might have seen this as well, but... trim.

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Rudder trim not centered?
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Rudder trim centered.....it's just enough on my system anyway, that it's just perceptible. And with the weights to the left side?

Dooga
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dooga »

taildraggin68 wrote:Rudder trim centered.....it's just enough on my system anyway, that it's just perceptible. And with the weights to the left side?
Well then, trim it away. These old airframes... ;-)

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Dooga wrote:
taildraggin68 wrote:Rudder trim centered.....it's just enough on my system anyway, that it's just perceptible. And with the weights to the left side?
Well then, trim it away. These old airframes... ;-)
Lol, I have but the creep still persists :shock: It's only just enough to mention and no big deal, but as it was mentioned by another in another thread, I figured I would post it up........me, I have no problem in just reaching over and turning on the AP :D

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I haven't done much in the way of cruise flight yet Scott, but a quick experiment with the aircraft loaded laterally balanced did result in this slight right turn tendency (I was using a power setting of 20" MP and 2000 RPM). -6 to -7 % rudder trim seemed to counteract the effect...

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Thanks Nick. Maybe I didn't put enough rudder trim in lol :D Heck it could even be that I didn't hold my tongue just right, while pouring my coffee, and you can never trust that Heidi chick :shock: Just took it up for a quick test again myself, and dang if it didn't fly just like it should.....maybe that little trip into the back country scared it a little :twisted: Bear Gulch Aviation at gross is pushing it a touch :D

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

For what it's worth, I just tried another flight with cruise at much higher power settings (23" and 2300 RPM) and the right-turning tendency is definitely more pronounced (rate of turn settled at about 1° per second). Again, a fairly liberal dose of left rudder trim seemed to sort it out. I'm certainly not qualified to comment on whether this is true to the real aircraft - any thoughts?

I guess the rudder trim is there for a reason, but from my limited understanding, I'd expect the turn to be in the opposite direction?

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

That's what was boggling me Nick....my weights to the left of CG as well as the torque should be gently influencing the aircraft to the left? Maybe Rob or Esa can chime in.....

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Have you checked control calibration?

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Sure have Bruce...just my habit to check that regularly as well after installing new aircraft...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

All controls checked here, and weight and balance double-checked Bruce! :wink:

Taildraggin' - I've just tried another flight. During take-off there's certainly a left-turning tendency as you'd expect and quite a bit of right rudder is needed to stay on the centreline (OK - near the centreline in my case :lol: ). During climb-out that left-turning tendency remains, but as I roll in nose-down elevator trim with increasing airspeed, the left-turning tendency seems to gradually reverse into a right-turning one. It's almost as if the act of trimming the nose down is causing the drift to the right.

As far as I'm aware, torque, P-factor and propwash (and to some extent gyro effect) should all be causing a yaw to the left in the Skylane. Interested to hear what the experts have to say... :)

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi guys - a further observation. Just carried-out another flight in the C182 and the issue seemed to have magically cured itself! "Hang on a minute" I though - "surely I'm not that daft!" Then I remembered that I'd ticked 'auto-rudder' whilst experimenting with slow speed flight in the C172 just beforehand.

With auto-rudder selected, the C182 develops a slight left-turning tendency at cruise as you'd expect. However, when I un-ticked auto-rudder, the pronounced right-turning behaviour at cruise power settings was definitely back.

Anyone else seeing this other than Scott (taildraggin68) and I?
Nick

P.S. To prove it wasn't noisy rudder hardware (twisty joystick) which was causing this, I deleted my rudder axis altogether for part of the flight. The right-turning tendency remained...
A2A Simulations Inc.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

EnDSchultz spoke of it first I believe and when I read that we were buried in another topic, so I started this one. Maybe he will see this and jump in :D

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”