Finally Added Skylane To My P3D Fleet

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Finally Added Skylane To My P3D Fleet

Post by GaryRR »

This morning I purchased Skylane for P3D v4.5. I set her up with RXP 530/430 Combo so she matches the one I take lessons in.
I set the Elevator forces to 50 percent and made a VFR flight N94 to KLNS skirting KMDT airspace to the south then east to destination. I was surprised to see that all the hours and data were copied over from my FSX-SE installation.
I love the way the Skylane flies. No drama, nothing unexpected. Very easy to manage. It is no wonder it is such a GA best seller in the world. I know in simulations at least that every Cessna I have had are nice flying aircraft within the variations of the developers, of course. Cessna may be the reliable Chevrolet of aviation. But of course they have their "Vets" and "Camaros" like the Citation X and the Citation Mustang.

I experimented with different MAP and Prop settings during my short flight. With leaning just sufficient for steady RPM. I have added all the available fairings and the two blade prop. I made 145 kts true on my flight and I will do the same on the return flight later today and report what I found. She is a pleasant plane. The Bonnie is fast and fun but the Skylane us very agreeable.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Re: Finally Added Skylane To My P3D Fleet

Post by GaryRR »

So, while my Skylane was on the ground at KLNS I swapped the three blade prop for the two blade prop. I also added the wheel pants and all the fairings. I did a short flight from KLNS to KRDG. I cruised 3000 and played with my TPM for best indicated airspeed. I settled on MAP 30, RPM 2000, and leaned out but just rich to maintain steady RPM. The plane eventually settled at 155 kts. She seemed to accelerate faster to. I am going to continue to experiment between the two blade and three blade prop. With full load, different weather conditions, and different altitudes. It is really involving when a simmulation does nearly exactly what the real plane would.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

The C-182 is one of my favorite aircraft for not only sightseeing but it's a really good IFR platform as well. Have fun with it.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Hi Gary,

I'm glad you are flying the Skylane.

The 2 blade is always the way to go for GA unless you are flying at very high altitudes. 3 blades are sold and bought for ramp appeal, nothing else. Many in the aviation industry still grapple with their 3 blade propellers actually slowing their aircraft down. However little by little pilots are starting to wise up to the 2 blade.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Scott - A2A wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 16:28 Hi Gary,

I'm glad you are flying the Skylane.

The 2 blade is always the way to go for GA unless you are flying at very high altitudes. 3 blades are sold and bought for ramp appeal, nothing else. Many in the aviation industry still grapple with their 3 blade propellers actually slowing their aircraft down. However little by little pilots are starting to wise up to the 2 blade.

Scott
Three bladed props are definitely sexier, and I know the theories about more blades making better use of increased power. Just look at the Spitfire which started with a 2 blade prop, and was then fitted with 3, 4, 5 and even 6 blade props to absorb the increases in power. However, most GA planes are 300hp or less and I remember discussing this with my instructor years ago and his opinion was that there was an argument for 3 blades once you get to 200hp or more. However, I've seen lots of pictures of Comanche 250's with two blade props and this has me wondering if they're any quicker given the way A2A's C-182 flies.

Have you flown any Comanche's with 2 blade props, Scott?

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 20:44 Have you flown any Comanche's with 2 blade props, Scott?
I have not looked at the specs of the 2 blades made for the Comanche 250 so it's possible it's not any faster than a 3 blade because it's not just the number of blades but the blade area and the airfoil on the blade. It's just drag you can't escape, just like a wing, fuselage, etc. They could have made it bigger and larger for better high altitude performance or it could be like the 2 blade made on the 182.

If we tested a 2 blade on the Comanche we would have put it in Accu-Sim. There are also other sort of, black science factors like how the cowling affects performance like strange unknown vortexes spin off a cowling (and the entire fuselage for that matter) that nobody is really aware of. But taking away all of the outside influences, the drag and lift at the start is just basic physics one can't escape with an airfoil. Lift is needed and drag is a consequence.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Scott - A2A wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 06:03
Dogsbody55 wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 20:44 Have you flown any Comanche's with 2 blade props, Scott?
I have not looked at the specs of the 2 blades made for the Comanche 250 so it's possible it's not any faster than a 3 blade because it's not just the number of blades but the blade area and the airfoil on the blade. It's just drag you can't escape, just like a wing, fuselage, etc. They could have made it bigger and larger for better high altitude performance or it could be like the 2 blade made on the 182.

If we tested a 2 blade on the Comanche we would have put it in Accu-Sim. There are also other sort of, black science factors like how the cowling affects performance like strange unknown vortexes spin off a cowling (and the entire fuselage for that matter) that nobody is really aware of. But taking away all of the outside influences, the drag and lift at the start is just basic physics one can't escape with an airfoil. Lift is needed and drag is a consequence.

Scott
Sometimes where props are mounted has a huge effect. Like with that sexy P180. 380KTS on props. Purty cool.

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

GaryRR I've set my 182 up the same way as yours

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”